Spicey's TED exam

Old October 6th 12, 06:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

Default Spicey's TED exam

So as you can tell from the photos, Spicey was surprisingly, a perfect
little angel at TED. I warned them that they may be using their worker's
comp, but they said they'd prefer not to sedate her on a weekend due to
their limited hours, and anyway, they can check her behavior better if
she's awake.

They found that her pupil reaction was actually fine, and her eyesight
seemed ok - they tossed her a few cotton balls, which she obviously tracked
well.

They said she actually weighs more than she looks - about 9 lbs,
surprisingly. And she seemed healthy enough - although her fur looked like
it was lacking grooming, maybe due to stress and/or age.

I nevertheless asked them to throw every blood and urine test they have at
her to see if she has anything. Chemical, blood count, leukemia, FIV,
thyroid, etc. They were able to tell me in a few minutes that she was FIV
and FeLV negative, but the other lab tests will take time for the results.

One surprise I had at TED was that they couldn't give her a rabies shot -
apparently there are regulations that say that if an animal has broken the
skin of a person within the last 10 days, it cannot be vaccinated for
rabies, in case it needs to be examined for rabies later on.

I told them that we'd be waiting a while for a 10 day window without me
getting mauled by Spicey.
Old October 6th 12, 07:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Takayuki" wrote in message
[...]

LOL! Well, if she and your other cats don't go outside, I doubt if there's
any hurry about the shot anyway.

I'm so glad they gave her a clean bill of health. I suspect a lot of what
worried you was caused by stress and, possibly, undereating. She may not
have been fed enough for a while, or she may have been too stressed to eat
much. Anyway, I'll bet all the tests come through clean and she will thrive
with you.

Joy

Old October 6th 12, 11:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

On Sat, 6 Oct 2012 11:42:40 -0700, "Joy" wrote:
LOL! Well, if she and your other cats don't go outside, I doubt if there's
any hurry about the shot anyway.

I'm so glad they gave her a clean bill of health. I suspect a lot of what
worried you was caused by stress and, possibly, undereating. She may not
have been fed enough for a while, or she may have been too stressed to eat
much. Anyway, I'll bet all the tests come through clean and she will thrive
with you.

Maybe - I don't know for sure what her recent condition has been! And I'm
going to be waiting very eagerly for her lab test results, of course. In
the meantime, I've stocked up on several varieties of low carb high protein
canned foods from a page Karen Chuplis recommended:
http://binkyspage.tripod.com/CanFoodNew.html

Oh, one thing I forgot was to have them scan Spicey for a chip. If she
doesn't have one, I want her to get one, and if she does have one, I need
to know her ID number.
Old October 7th 12, 12:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Takayuki wrote:

[...]

The chances of her having rabies are pretty minimal anyway. It would be
good for her to get a vaccination for it, in case she gets outside somehow.
Otherwise, she's pretty safe from the disease.

--
Joyce

Something you'll never hear an 8-year-old say:

"Nana, will you spit on your hankie and wipe the gravy off my face?"
Old October 7th 12, 02:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

On Sat, 6 Oct 2012 23:52:15 +0000 (UTC), Bastette
wrote:
Takayuki wrote:

I told them that we'd be waiting a while for a 10 day window without me
getting mauled by Spicey.

The chances of her having rabies are pretty minimal anyway. It would be
good for her to get a vaccination for it, in case she gets outside somehow.
Otherwise, she's pretty safe from the disease.

I agree that there's no way she has rabies - you saw her cloistered
lifestyle. But if I ever want various services for her, such as pet
sitting, grooming, etc., I need to make sure she has her shots. I wouldn't
be surprised if there were ordinances about that too.