Caboodle Ranch

Old November 24th 10, 04:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

Default Caboodle Ranch

Has anyone heard anything about the recent controversy Caboodle
Ranch? I was
curious, as we've discussed the place here several times; IIRC Dan M
or somebody
even went there.

Anyway, there's a website "expose" making some pretty foul
allegations; and there's a
glowing review written by a visitor just two weeks prior. Don't click
on the second
link if you're sensitive to graphic images of ill cats, etc.

I'm cynical enough that I realize abuse/neglect photos could come from
anywhere, and
disgruntled volunteers or simply cat-haters can paint a picture that's
not accurate just
to discredit an organization.

So I'm wondering, has anyone heard anything from even a semi-reliable
source? Anything
even been in the news?

http://thestir.cafemom.com/home_gard...nicer#comments

http://negotiationisover.com/2010/11...on-needed-now/

Sherry

Old November 24th 10, 06:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

I didn't click the second link - I'm not in a good place for that and it's
hard to take even when I'm not as vulnerable. But just an observation... I
watch "Animal Cops" all the time (like every day). Some of the animals are
being treated cruelly or starved, and then it's a really good thing.
However, some pets are taken from their owners even when they're not being
neglected or starved. They make the owners sign over the pets by
threatening them with a hefty law suit. A lot of people are doing
everything they can for their pets - giving them food when they don't have
food for themselves. They make it part of the "agreement" that, if the
owner chooses to keep his pets then they'll force him to see a vet that he
doesn't have the money for when the cat is not really in any danger. So I
could see this case going either way - the SPCA has some self-serving
motivation, like the tax man holding a prison sentence in front of you when
you don't have the money to pay (and won't even discuss delay fees or
interest on past-due payments or offer a payment plan.

If you hear anything about it, could you post it here please?

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

See the RPCA FAQ site, by Mark Edwards, at:
http://www.professional-geek.com/rpcablog/

Old November 24th 10, 08:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat[_3_]

On Nov 24, 9:12*am, Sherry wrote:
Has anyone heard anything about the recent controversy
Caboodle Ranch? I was curious, as we've discussed the place
here several times; IIRC Dan M or somebody even went there.

So I'm wondering, has anyone heard anything from even a semi-
reliable source? Anything even been in the news?

Well I visited the second link and there's a whole list of testimonies
from people who've had direct experience with CR. Only a small portion
of each testimony is on the link you posted. The writings are so long,
and so detailed, and so numerous, that makes it harder to doubt them.

Yes, DanM visited, even gave them a nice vehicle. Perhaps he was only
shown the better areas of the place. According to that site you
posted, visitors are kept to one area, the rest is off-limits.

Craig may have let things get out of hand. Did you read down at the
bottom of the page you posted, there is a lengthy back-and-forth
commentary between the site owner, Craig, and some others.

I note that the Facebook page for Caboodle has been wiped clean as of
today. Why do that, if nothing is wrong?

Old November 24th 10, 08:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Pat wrote:

On Nov 24, 9:12*am, Sherry wrote:
[...]

It always seemed crazy to me that one person was single-handedly
taking care of 500 cats. I can't imagine how that's even possible.

One thing that distinguishes this situation from a hoarder is that
the cats seem to be allowed to roam free. Of course I didn't see all
500 of them, but it looked like they had a fair amount of land to
roam around on. So they're not trapped inside a filthy home, at least.

Are these cats neutered?

Joyce

--
Cats are rather delicate creatures and they are subject to a good
many ailments, but I never heard of one who suffered from insomnia.
Old November 24th 10, 08:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Magic Mood Jeep

On 11/24/2010 2:06 PM, Pat wrote:
On Nov 24, 9:12 am, Sherry wrote:
[...]

There is more than one FB page for Caboodle Ranch - one is a "fan page"
(run by fans of CR) and one is an "official" page (run by CR itself).
Not sure which is which, but they are in a transition and trying to
combine the two, possibly into a third site? I can't remember all the
postings I read about it last week... and since they wiped the FB page
with "Inc" in the name clean, those are all gone from the other site as
well....

The two different sites are (this one seems still active)
facebook.com/caboodleranch

and (this appears to be empty, but if you go to the "info" tab, there's
a brief "explanation")
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref...43028025710287

Also, this is from their "blog"
http://caboodleranch.livejournal.com...nch-22643(link at
www.caboodle.org, as well)

A Statement From Caboodle

* Sep. 21st, 2010 at 9:17 PM

Friends and fans of Caboodle,

Some of you have been with us for a very long time; many of you have
visited the ranch, some have dropped cats off at the ranch and many have
donated hours upon hours of time there. We have regular volunteers
working at Caboodle Ranch every week. We have had visits from Animal
control and the humane society and they are always pleased with the
conditions they find. This is the first time we've experienced anything
of this sort, and it's coming from someone who initially stated after
arriving that she loved Caboodle Ranch. We're very shocked and saddened
by this entire situation.

Caboodle cats aren't invincible!

We receive cats of all kinds. Some are sick when they arrive, and
everything is done to try to save them. Unfortunately, they don't always
make it. It's heartbreaking, but cats do die. This is why we have a
cemetery on the property.

Caboodle Ranch is located in the woods, so a cat might fall to a
snakebite. Prior to the fence, we had problems with coyote. Craig lost a
couple of his favorites to coyote attacks.

It has taken a while to put fencing around the entire length of 5 acres,
but it was finally finished this weekend.

Please remember that almost all of these cats are feral, and were living
'in the wild' before ever arriving at Caboodle Ranch. It's unrealistic
to think this is not a safer place for them to be. We do everything we
possibly can for them. We give them shelter, food and lots of love.

There has never been another place like this, so we're continually
learning and responding to situations as they occur.

Cats get sick, just like people!

We have our share of cats with colds, but this is normal when they're
living outside. And like a child in daycare, when one catches a cold, it
isn't long before another does. But they are all treated for this. The
cats with more serious illnesses, such as Leukemia, are kept seperate
from the others in their own large outdoor pens.

But this is one of the reasons we always ask that people not leave cats
at the ranch without our knowledge. Yet so many of them are left anyway.

Litter Box pictures:

We have 600 cats at the ranch. If you have one, you know what they can
do to litter. Especially overnight. These litter boxes are changed 4
times a day. If the volunteers aren't there early to help clean up, it
is possible you will see a mess. Litter will be on the floor.

Fence pictu

Fence was completed this weekend.

Dead cat photo:

Again, we live in the woods. Unfortunately, cats will die from things
such as snakebites.

Photo of old skinny cat:

He was an old skinny cat! And he was being treated by both Craig and
Caboodle's vet.

Dirty floor photo:

Again, we have 600 cats. The floors are cleaned every single day. By the
next morning, it always looks like it was never done.

Cat skull photo:

This is a sensitive matter because this was one of Craig's original cats
"Tommy 2" and he does not want to touch the remains. He explained to
Nanette years ago when he first showed it to her that it was "sacred
ground" to him.

Nanette, who most of you know, responded earlier out of love and defense
for this place that she has been a volunteer with for over four years.
It's hard not to be upset when reading some of the comments written.
That being said, please forgive the name calling. She does realize it
was unprofessional, but tempers were flaring all around.
She also deleted the rude comments she was seeing, and in doing so,
somehow deleted everybody's comments... including our defenders and well
wishers.

Some of you may have just stumbled upon us yesterday, but Caboodle
Ranch has been around for a long time now. It's been a wonderful
positive experience- for cats and people alike. Our doors have always
been open to visitors and volunteers, and those who doubt what an
awesome and safe place this is, are more than welcome to come for a visit.

I'm truly sorry for the delay in writing. I was typing as fast as I'm
able and trying to cover as many things as possible. If I've forgotten
anything, I will be adding it here, so please check back if you have
other questions and/or concerns.

Sincerely,

Cyndi

Updated:

In regards to the question about the sick bay, or infirmary; This is an
old office trailer. It is a place that has a tendency to get dirtier
than any other. Sick cats make the worst kind of messes... with
diarrhea, vomiting, and even sneezing. There are a few sick cats in the
infirmary that aren't in cages and create the usual messes of litter and
shredding of papertowels and dumping of food. And because there's no
grass at Caboodle Ranch, dirt is also tracked in continuously. This is
the 'building' where Craig spends most of his time. He is always in
there feeding and giving IVs.

I don't know when the photo was taken, but if I had to guess, most all
the photos were taken in the morning before our volunteers arrived. The
infirmary, like everywhere else is continually cleaned yet gets dirty so
fast. We recently started a fundraiser for a new, bigger, better and
brighter infirmary. We hope to get this soon.

To help ease your mind a little more, I'd like to add that we are
always visited by our local vet. And as recent as September 17th, animal
control visited the ranch... and brought us more cats.

There's always room for improvement and we're continually learning. But
if our vets and animal control is satisfied, we know we're on the right
path.

Thank you guys again for being so supportive.

her wipe out Bunny's world domination.
--
The ONE and ONLY
Old November 26th 10, 07:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat[_3_]

hopitus wrote:

If it in any way resembles exotic animal hoarders my home state
is capital location for that. I hate to tell you of the many signs
along US 1 from Miami on up urging turnoff for "wild animal
petting zoo" and "uncaged wild animal zoo" nearby. When a
small child, my parents even took me to a few of these; thankfully
they are much fewer in number these days....but still exist, just
not so easy to find offroad.

No "big cats" at Caboodle "ranch", just big numbers of cats.
Housecats, that is.