Spicey's demand

Old October 6th 12, 01:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

Default Spicey's demand

On Fri, 5 Oct 2012 09:14:44 -0700 (PDT), Jane
wrote:
On Wednesday, October 3, 2012 10:56:51 PM UTC-4, Takayuki wrote:
She's 9.5. But she looks considerably older. The drinking and peeing might be diabetes. The weak limbs and appetite might be hyperthyroid. But we can't really distinguish for sure without testing. I'll give her a little while to settle down and become easier to handle, and then off to TED.

Have you got a radio playing very low in her room? Maybe she's just really bored with the silence.

When I turned it on, she hissed at it.
Old October 6th 12, 01:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

On Fri, 5 Oct 2012 21:44:43 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
"Takayuki" wrote in message
.. .
She's 9.5. But she looks considerably older. The drinking and peeing might
be diabetes. The weak limbs and appetite might be hyperthyroid. But we
can't really distinguish for sure without testing. I'll give her a little
while to settle down and become easier to handle, and then off to TED.

I hope she comes good. I think she has not been cared for by Suz's aides as
it was not their remit.
well, if I was that aide, I wouldn't mind caring for her in my own time and
not be paid for it.

I'm not the most in the know, having only visited Suz a few times a year,
but my impression is that it was the circumstances more than the people.

One of her aides, who is now unemployed, paid $700 out of her own pocket to
pay for Spicey's operation when she had that growth earlier this year. Suz
meant to pay her back, but she died before she could.

Another has been corresponding with me about Spicey and giving me
information about her history, diet, prior behavior, etc., so that I have
some more background to discuss with the vet. And as Spicey was going
downhill, I suspect that Suz was also going downhill, and that took the
lion's share of everyone's attention.
Old October 6th 12, 01:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
catlady

She's 9.5. But she looks considerably older. The drinking and peeing might

be diabetes. The weak limbs and appetite might be hyperthyroid. But we

can't really distinguish for sure without testing. I'll give her a little

while to settle down and become easier to handle, and then off to TED.

If it is diabetes, it is even more imperative you get her on low carb, grain free canned food asap. Dry food sends blood sugar sky high and, if she is diabetic, the longer she eats it the less chance that she can go into remission and no longer need insulin. Before Grain Chicken, Turkey, and Quail, Innova EVO95 chicken/turkey, and Wellness Chicken, Turkey or Beef/chicken are all appropriate low-carb canned diets. The hind leg weakness is consistent with diabetic neuropathy and if this is what she has it means she has been an uncontrolled diabetic for some time. If she is diabetic, the sooner she gets treatment and a proper diet the better. Sometimes simply changing the diet is enough to get a cat in remission although it is less likely with a cat that has been an uncontrolled diabetic for awhile.
Old October 6th 12, 02:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Takayuki" wrote in message
On Fri, 5 Oct 2012 21:44:43 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
"Takayuki" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

I know if anyone can get Spicey well again, you can.
What I would really like is that she integrates with Dot & Buster and goes
on to have a lovely life in your home.
She is only 9, she should have years left.

Old October 6th 12, 02:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Catlady" wrote in message

[...]

I'm not as wise as you but I think Spicey has not been looked after well
for some time and when Tak lets her feed and drink as much as she wants for
a while there probably won't be much wrong with her. If course she needs
to see a vet, which will be done. Her voracious appetite and being so
thirsty doesn't make me think she is ill, more that she's been not been
fed/watered recently.

Old October 6th 12, 05:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

On Sat, 6 Oct 2012 02:23:47 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
I know if anyone can get Spicey well again, you can.
What I would really like is that she integrates with Dot & Buster and goes
on to have a lovely life in your home.
She is only 9, she should have years left.

That's my dream, of course. Many blissful years ahead for a family of three
furries.
Old October 7th 12, 12:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

wrote:
I know if anyone can get Spicey well again, you can.
What I would really like is that she integrates with Dot & Buster and goes
on to have a lovely life in your home.
She is only 9, she should have years left.

That's my dream, of course. Many blissful years ahead for a family of three
furries.

Hopefully there's room for one human in the mix, too.

--
Joyce

Something you'll never hear an 8-year-old say:

"Nana, will you spit on your hankie and wipe the gravy off my face?"
Old October 7th 12, 05:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_3_]

On 10/2/2012 10:49 PM, Takayuki wrote:
When I opened the door to Spicey's room today, I got an unexpected
response. She hissed, came right up to the door, and tried to come after me
through the crack!

Spicey pulled at the door with her paw, tried to headbutt her way through,
and finally gave a couple of swipes through the opening. I talked to her a
little through the partially open door. Heeeerrre's daddy! Maybe it would
be a good chance to interact up-close without getting attacked.

Finally, she backed off and let me inside. When I topped off her dry food,
she came right out, sniffed what I'd put in, then retreated to a corner. I
guessed that what she wanted was her wet food, which I had about a week's
supply of from Suz's place.

When Spicey saw me take out and open the can, she came right up to me,
looking up at the open can and meowing and meowing. I started to scoop some
into her bowl, but she didn't even wait for the food to get scooped out -
she just started chowing down straight from the can. I managed to get it
all in her bowl though, and she went into it like she was starving.

Now Spicey eats like a horse. What with her big can of wet per day, plus
free feeding on dry (I'm just giving her the diet she's used to for now),
she must eat about as much as Dot and Buster combined. And they're each
about twice her size! I'm going to have to feed her separately when they're
eventually integrated, or else chubby Dot will explode.

As Spicey ate, I sat next to her dish and talked to her. "I love you
Spicey. Yes, I'm your Daddy now. I was a good friend of your Meowmie. At
least, I tried to be."

Then, I suddenly and unexpectedly broke down in tears. I couldn't even
mourn Suz properly before, because of the worries about the kitty she'd
left behind. But now, those worries were melting away. Because I'd gained a
measure of acceptance. Because I'd graduated from monster to waiter.

{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}

It must be so confusing for her and you're doing so well to make it
easier for her.

Old October 7th 12, 05:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_3_]

On 10/3/2012 10:56 PM, Takayuki wrote:

She's 9.5. But she looks considerably older. The drinking and peeing might
be diabetes. The weak limbs and appetite might be hyperthyroid. But we
can't really distinguish for sure without testing. I'll give her a little
while to settle down and become easier to handle, and then off to TED.

This might sound strange, but I'd probably take her to the vet sooner
than waiting for her to be more comfortable with you. This way she
doesn't have a "set back" to trust you again. Just my .02c