Suspicions about Spicey

Old October 5th 12, 01:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

Default Suspicions about Spicey

Having had a chance to observe Spicey for several days has reinforced my
initial impression that Spicey does not look like a normal healthy 9.5 year
old cat. I know for a fact that that is her age, yet she really looks like
she's carrying a lot more wear on her body than that.

What do I see wrong with Spicey? First, her fur is scraggly, almost as
though she's dehydrated, and she's skinny too. Second, she eats and drinks
a ton. Third, her limbs are stiff and weak, almost as though she's
arthritic.

And fifth, and this is something I find maybe the most peculiar and
alarming about her, is that her pupils do not contract. Her pupils are
always wide open. At first, I thought it was because she was scared being
in a new environment, but in all this time, I've never seen her pupils even
quiver. They're always huge and round. I've turned off the lights, turned
them on, redirected her gaze so that she was staring at the lights, and she
pupils still don't contract.

Is it thyroid? Diabetes? Parasites? Kidneys? I have no idea, but Spicey has
a vet appointment for Saturday. I told them that I want a full physical and
bloodwork on her. And that she is not tame, and will have to take
precautions when examining her.
Old October 5th 12, 01:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
AB

I am fairly new here, and didn't know Suzy or Spicey. Anything I know
about either of them, I've gleened throught the recent posts here.

First, I offer my sincere condolences regarding Suzy's passing to her
family and friends.

I want to thank and commend Takayuki for his compassion, great
attitude and concern in taking in Spicey in her hour of need. From
what I've learned, Spicey can be rather spirited, to say the least.
Kudos to you, Takayuki, in every aspect in this saga.

I agree with you too, that something seems amiss with Spicey
healthwise. I commend you once again for really doing a terrific job
tackling this whole situation and getting her to the vet quickly.

Like all of us here, I am eager to hear what the veterinarian comes up
with.

You are one terrific person, Takayuki.

AB

Old October 5th 12, 02:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

I agree with AB, and am glad you have that vet's appointment. Purrs for it
to be less stressful on you, on her and on the veterinary staff, than you
probably anticipate.

--
Joy

Old October 5th 12, 02:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

On Thu, 04 Oct 2012 20:53:39 -0400, AB wrote:
I am fairly new here, and didn't know Suzy or Spicey. Anything I know
about either of them, I've gleened throught the recent posts here.

First, I offer my sincere condolences regarding Suzy's passing to her
family and friends.

I want to thank and commend Takayuki for his compassion, great
attitude and concern in taking in Spicey in her hour of need. From
what I've learned, Spicey can be rather spirited, to say the least.
Kudos to you, Takayuki, in every aspect in this saga.

I agree with you too, that something seems amiss with Spicey
healthwise. I commend you once again for really doing a terrific job
tackling this whole situation and getting her to the vet quickly.

Like all of us here, I am eager to hear what the veterinarian comes up
with.

You are one terrific person, Takayuki.

Thank you AB. Welcome to the group! She really is a feisty one! Co-workers
were asking me today, "OMG, what happened to your hand!?" And I had to
reply, "I put down a dish of food to my cat."
Old October 5th 12, 02:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

On Thu, 4 Oct 2012 18:03:39 -0700, "Joy" wrote:
I agree with AB, and am glad you have that vet's appointment. Purrs for it
to be less stressful on you, on her and on the veterinary staff, than you
probably anticipate.

I wanted to put it off because I didn't think that I could get her into a
carrier. But her fixation on food gave me an idea, and I tried tossing a
few treats into her carrier, and she went right in. Aha.
Old October 5th 12, 02:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin

Having had a chance to observe Spicey for several days has reinforced my
initial impression that Spicey does not look like a normal healthy 9.5 year
old cat. I know for a fact that that is her age, yet she really looks like
she's carrying a lot more wear on her body than that.
What do I see wrong with Spicey? First, her fur is scraggly, almost as
though she's dehydrated, and she's skinny too. Second, she eats and drinks
a ton. Third, her limbs are stiff and weak, almost as though she's
arthritic.
And fifth, and this is something I find maybe the most peculiar and
alarming about her, is that her pupils do not contract. [...]
Is it thyroid? Diabetes? Parasites? Kidneys?

Nutrient deficiency, taurine in particular? Your vet will be able to
check blood nutrient levels (this will probably be a standard part of
the workup).

Old October 5th 12, 02:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Takayuki" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 4 Oct 2012 18:03:39 -0700, "Joy" wrote:
I agree with AB, and am glad you have that vet's appointment. Purrs for
it
to be less stressful on you, on her and on the veterinary staff, than you
probably anticipate.

I wanted to put it off because I didn't think that I could get her into a
carrier. But her fixation on food gave me an idea, and I tried tossing a
few treats into her carrier, and she went right in. Aha.

That's great!

Joy

Old October 5th 12, 04:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLBriggs

On Thu, 04 Oct 2012 20:34:12 -0400, Takayuki wrote:

[...]

The enlarged pupils m,ay be because she is blind or very nearly blind.
That could also cause her to be more scared of things. We are sending
our best purrs for you and the kitty. MLB
Old October 5th 12, 06:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
catlady

On Thursday, October 4, 2012 7:34:08 PM UTC-5, Takayuki wrote:
[...]

Definitely make sure they check her blood pressure. If they don't have a monitor, please find a clinic that does as this is very important to rule in or out, especially in older cats. Dilated pupils could be a sign of retinal detachment, which is a common occurrence in cats with untreated high blood pressure.
Old October 5th 12, 06:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
catlady

[...]

Definitely make sure they check her blood pressure. If they don't have a monitor, please find a clinic that does as this is very important to rule in or out, especially in older cats. Dilated pupils could be a sign of retinal detachment, which is a common occurrence in cats with untreated high blood pressure. Also, please don't feed her dry food.It is not a good diet for any cat, especially for an older cat with a bad coat and health issues AND it will keep her in a state of chronic dehydration. If you haven't read these articles, please do. Spicey's best chance at recovering her health requires she be fed a species appropriate diet and dry food does not fall within those parameters.

http://www.littlebigcat.com/nutritio...cats-and-dogs/
http://www.catinfo.org
http://www.catnutrition.org/diabetes.html
http://catnutrition.org

Spicey update Suz Cat anecdotes 7 June 4th 11 07:38 PM
Spicey Needs Purrs Suz Cat anecdotes 21 June 4th 11 05:37 AM
Spicey Needs Purrs Smokie Darling (Annie) Cat anecdotes 0 June 3rd 11 12:39 AM
Spicey stuff SUQKRT Cat anecdotes 5 October 18th 03 07:17 PM
Spicey Pics SUQKRT Cat anecdotes 10 October 4th 03 07:06 AM