It's Spicey every day

Old October 8th 12, 01:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

Default It's Spicey every day

Living with Spicey is sort of like having a baby in fast forward - Every
day seems to introduce a milestone. You've read most all of this he

Last Sunday the last day of late Suz's lease, I brought Spicey home. She
cowered.

On Monday, she stood her ground and attacked me.

On Tuesday, she meowed at me for wet food.

On Wednesday, she rubbed up against my legs, and briefly ventured out of
her room.

On Thursday, I heard her purr for the first time. I also got scratched big
time while putting down her food bowl.

On Friday, she stopped regularly attacking my ankles, and enjoyed exploring
all outside her room.

On Saturday, she was an angel at the vet, and let me touch her tail without
mauling me.

On Sunday, today, she let me pet her back a little while she was eating,
only occasionally looking askance at me. And I found out that she has
diabetes.

Spicey has pretty much full run of the upstairs now. I've been having
trouble sitting with her lately, because she tends to leave the room that
I'm in, making me follow her from place to place.

Maybe someday she'll follow me too.
Old October 8th 12, 01:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Takayuki" wrote in message
[...]

I think she probably will. She's just exploring her new territory. Once
she's satisfied with that, she'll probably pay more attention to you. Maybe
sometime you could try just staying in the room when she leaves, and see
what she does. She might come back sooner than she would if you followed
her.

Joy

Old October 8th 12, 01:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

On Sun, 7 Oct 2012 17:46:30 -0700, "Joy" wrote:

"Takayuki" wrote in message
.. .
Spicey has pretty much full run of the upstairs now. I've been having
trouble sitting with her lately, because she tends to leave the room that
I'm in, making me follow her from place to place.

Maybe someday she'll follow me too.

I think she probably will. She's just exploring her new territory. Once
she's satisfied with that, she'll probably pay more attention to you. Maybe
sometime you could try just staying in the room when she leaves, and see
what she does. She might come back sooner than she would if you followed
her.

Personally, I think she's saying, "I've had quite enough of this company.
Butlers shouldn't be overly familiar."
Old October 8th 12, 02:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
AB

Did they clip her nails at the vet's office?

Old October 8th 12, 02:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

On Sun, 07 Oct 2012 21:17:22 -0400, AB wrote:

Did they clip her nails at the vet's office?

They said they did, but I'm sure not checking.
Old October 8th 12, 03:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

wrote:

[...]

Probably fairly soon.
Old October 8th 12, 04:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
cshenk

Takayuki wrote in rec.pets.cats.anecdotes:

[...]

Grin, try staying in the room for a bit, maybe reading quietly or
listening to the radio and singing a little (softly).

Be sure to play LOTS with the other 2 so they do not get angry at the
newcomer taking so much of your time ok?

Old October 8th 12, 04:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
cshenk

Takayuki wrote in rec.pets.cats.anecdotes:

On Sun, 07 Oct 2012 21:17:22 -0400, AB wrote:

Did they clip her nails at the vet's office?

They said they did, but I'm sure not checking.

Snicker, the vets clip Daisy-chan for free (safety issue for them) but
we don't bother as scratching is 'forbidden' here (unless accidental)
and *le sigh* it was so instinctive to teach that, I'm not sure how to
explain it.

Lets see.. in the early days with a 'hard case', we'd let them approach
us. We might sit a few feet away but there was no reaching out to grab
the cat (nor have you done that).

First sign of scratching, we left. No words, no displeasure, we just
left the cat. If it followed us, we *ignored the cat* then sat to
watch TV or something for a bit then if it came up to play, we'd be
very minimal in reaction yet let the cat know we knew they were there.

Freddie was the hardest one for this. Back in the heyday of the
'Nightmare on 32nd street' he came to us to see if we could make him
adoptable. He was not a feral but had been mishandled badly in a house
full of toddlers (previous owner had a home daycare no sense at all).
They front declawed him instead of dealing with their own training
issues and his paws got infected (eventually losing 3 toes).

Freddie didn't claw, he BIT. Hard as in full puncture wounds.
Sometimes he'd flip around and claw with his back nails.

We had to crate Freddie at night for our own safety for 2 months. Yes,
I crated a cat as it was that or RB in his case and no one else was
willing to deal with his nasty habit of suddenly backing over and
trying to scratch the hell out of your face in the night (potential eye
loss is not my idea of fun).

We got there eventally but he was much harder than Daisy-chan. When
placed, (and yes, he found a home), he went to a couple with teen aged
kids and a grumpy older cat who turned out to not mind sharing a little
sofa room space. I was told they happily grumbled at one another for
many years with no incidents. The only thing Freddie needed, was to
know he'd not be hurt.

Old October 9th 12, 02:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

On Mon, 08 Oct 2012 10:27:00 -0500, "cshenk" wrote:

Takayuki wrote in rec.pets.cats.anecdotes:

Maybe someday she'll follow me too.

Grin, try staying in the room for a bit, maybe reading quietly or
listening to the radio and singing a little (softly).

Be sure to play LOTS with the other 2 so they do not get angry at the
newcomer taking so much of your time ok?

They do like to play some, although mostly they both want to sleep on my
lap. I'm typing around Buster right now.
Old October 9th 12, 02:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

On Mon, 08 Oct 2012 21:07:28 +0100, Judith Latham
wrote:

In article , Takayuki
wrote:
Maybe someday she'll follow me too.

She knows what you do and has begun to trust you but she must find it
exciting to explore her new home.

You could try just sitting and waiting until she wonders where you are. If
you follow every time then she knows where you are.

She knows where I am, but seems to want to show off her independence by
staying away, except when I'm doing something that catches her interest, or
she's hungry.

Spicey explores Takayuki Cat anecdotes 11 October 8th 12 02:19 AM
Photos of Spicey at the vet Takayuki Cat anecdotes 5 October 7th 12 03:26 PM
Suspicions about Spicey Takayuki Cat anecdotes 29 October 6th 12 02:14 PM
Someday Spicey Takayuki Cat anecdotes 26 October 1st 12 07:41 PM
Spicey Pics SUQKRT Cat anecdotes 10 October 4th 03 07:06 AM