Just read about what is really in cat food

Old August 11th 03, 06:10 PM
Betsy

You obviously didn't catch the news story about the truck that overturned on
the way to the pet food factory. Do a little research, dear.

"GAUBSTER2" wrote in message
I've seen the book and don't fall for her scare tactics. Most of the

research
that she did was in the 60s and 70s. Most of what she alleges in her

book
is
illegal (at least here in the US) nowadays.

The version I read was recently updated.

That doesn't change what I said.

Almost all of the major brands include euthanized
cats and dogs in their formula

Not true. It is illegal here in the US.

I don't think it is enforced or checked on at all, though.

What makes you think that? Do you like to believe in scare tactics? The

FDA
enforces the regulations here in the US. I'm sure if anybody could

pinpoint a
violation, they would be on it in a heartbeat--especially groups like

PETA,
etc.

I'll let you in on a little secret. Once a pet food ingredient enters

pet
food plant (regardless of it's quality), it is automatically designated

as
"unfit for human consumption".

I am not an unreasonable person, but the concept of a diseased animal,
a cow with mad cow disease, etc, being fed to my cat, does concern me.

Diseased parts aren't used. That's just more spin that sells books (and
whatever else). As for mad cow, that's being watched VERRRRY closely.

So, it
is being enforced.

IAMS/Eukanuba has been in the press for allegations of this sort.

Science
Diet
doesn't do the types of things that she alleges. If you are concerned,

call
the companies in questions and she what they have to say.

Apparently many of these test are kep under wraps. She got her reports
by interviewing scientists at the schools. I suppose it could be
untrue, but it is still disturbing, esp. reading the listings of the
exact experiments which were conducted

Again, how many years ago was that and if it was really a concern, why

didn't
she do her part and name names and places and times? Hearsay may sell

books
but it doesn't help much of anything else.

Ask yourself what is more important--whether or not the food meets the

nutrient
profile for that particular lifestage or whether the ingredients

"sound"
appetizing. A lot of "all natural" foods have artifical preservatives

in
them.

No, its the prospect of a cat or dog being unnwittingly forced into
cannibalism, or eating diseased animal parts that scares me.

Then feel free to let yourself be scared. These things DON'T happen in

the
US---especially if you're buying a better product (such as a Hill's

product).
SIGH But I understand some people would rather wring their hands and be
scared than separate truth from fiction.

Old August 12th 03, 02:18 AM
Purplecat

I didn't catch this. When/where did it happen? I've looked but can't find
anything about it on the internet. Would like to read about it if I can.

Thanks,
Purplecat

Old August 12th 03, 03:04 AM
Sherry

I didn't catch this. When/where did it happen? I've looked but can't find
anything about it on the internet. Would like to read about it if I can.

Thanks,
Purplecat

Me, too, Purplecat. I've never heard about the overturned pet food truck, and
would like to read the article.
sherry

Old August 12th 03, 04:25 PM
GAUBSTER2

From: "Betsy" -0
Date: 8/11/03 10:10 AM Pacific Daylight Time
You obviously didn't catch the news story about the truck that overturned on
the way to the pet food factory. Do a little research, dear.

Yeah, where was it? Time, place, city, state, that kind of thing. Which "pet
food factory" was it going to? Was it really a "pet food factory" or something
else? What foods do they make, etc?? Lots of times people jump to conclusions
when they don't have any of the facts.
Old August 12th 03, 04:25 PM
GAUBSTER2

Old August 12th 03, 04:26 PM
GAUBSTER2

I didn't catch this. When/where did it happen? I've looked but can't find
anything about it on the internet. Would like to read about it if I can.

Thanks,
Purplecat

Me, too, Purplecat. I've never heard about the overturned pet food truck, and
would like to read the article.
sherry

It probably never happened. I suspect that it was made up. Wouldn't have
proven anything even if it did happen. There are too many people out there
just waiting to be offended or scared these days.