The Whisker Jar

Old March 17th 06, 04:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default The Whisker Jar

I was asked about my whisker jar recently. I keep cat whiskers because
I very rarely find them and consider it a good omen when I do. I seem to
remember that several of us here keep whiskers when we find them. When
I started this however, the question was what to keep them in. I live
just outside a village that supports tourists who visit Stone Mountain
and one of the stores sells pottery by local artists. One day while
visiting I found the perfect whisker jar. Someday it will be the perfect
'remains' jar but fortunately that day hasn't arrived yet. I have two of
these jars - one tabby and one solid. Pictures of my whisker jars can
be seen at:

http://tinyurl.com/pvx2u
http://tinyurl.com/qcjhe
http://tinyurl.com/prboy
http://tinyurl.com/qurar
http://tinyurl.com/pk2x9

This past fall I found the coolest christmas ornaments I've ever seen.
Even the ears on these cuties are glass. I actually managed to get
three of these to Australia without breaking them!

http://tinyurl.com/p8lt5
http://tinyurl.com/qbmef
http://tinyurl.com/ofmah

And since I'm sharing pictures of various cat art I want to show you
what DH gave me for Valentine's Day. He thought I'd like this much
better than flowers. He was right. I couldn't get a decent picture with
it turned on but when the bulb is lit the body is a soft pink.

http://tinyurl.com/qkqb5

Julie

Old March 17th 06, 05:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 10:07:30 -0500, Julie Cook wrote:

[...]

What an interesting collection -- just perfect for whisker jars., Do you
know anything about the artist who made the jars?? MLB

Old March 17th 06, 05:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

mlbriggs wrote:
[...]

Actually I didn't, until you asked the question, so I did a web search.
Her name is Boots Culbertson and you can see information about her at:
http://www.artuptown.com/artist.php?id=233 and some better photos of her
work at http://www.thehiddenpaw.net/catalog_c39719.html

Julie

Old March 17th 06, 05:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-03-17, Julie Cook penned:
I was asked about my whisker jar recently. I keep cat whiskers
because I very rarely find them and consider it a good omen when I
do. I seem to remember that several of us here keep whiskers when we
find them. When I started this however, the question was what to
keep them in. I live just outside a village that supports tourists
who visit Stone Mountain and one of the stores sells pottery by
local artists. One day while visiting I found the perfect whisker
jar. Someday it will be the perfect 'remains' jar but fortunately
that day hasn't arrived yet. I have two of these jars - one tabby
and one solid. Pictures of my whisker jars can be seen at:

http://tinyurl.com/pvx2u http://tinyurl.com/qcjhe
http://tinyurl.com/prboy http://tinyurl.com/qurar
http://tinyurl.com/pk2x9

Those are great! Is that artist still showing cat jars at the store?
I wouldn't mind one of those ... even though I don't know what I'd put
in it ...

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old March 17th 06, 06:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:

Those are great! Is that artist still showing cat jars at the store?
I wouldn't mind one of those ... even though I don't know what I'd put
in it ...

I haven't seen one of the smaller ones in several years however, since I
was asked I searched and found some of her work at:
http://www.thehiddenpaw.net/catalog_c39719.html

I love the reclining cat. I think I'm going to have to order one of those!

Julie

Old March 17th 06, 06:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Interestingly, a good friend of mine who passed away about a year ago,
also collected cat whiskers for the reason that she considered finding
them was a good omen. (She did not pass away on account of the cat
whiskers, though.) She had a packed whisker jar with over 1,000
whiskers in it, but then she owned a lot of cats in her lifetime. =o)

Just as I was reading this post, I found a cat whisker on my bedside
table. I think it's one of Pan's, as it's black. Perhaps it's time to
start my own collection. Of all the cats I've known in my lifetime
though, I think Francesca has the most elegant whiskers. She has both
black and white ones, and some which are black near the roots, but
white at the ends. But then, she is a very elegant cat lady. Pan has a
very fine, macho black "mustache" of whiskers, and Nina's whiskers are
white, and very fine in texture.

Melissa

Old March 17th 06, 06:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Julie Cook wrote:
I was asked about my whisker jar recently. I keep cat whiskers because
I very rarely find them and consider it a good omen when I do.

Those jars are beautiful! I used to find a lot of whiskers (as well as
claw sheaths) from Frank and Nikki, and always thought I should get a
suitable to jar to collect them in, but I never did. Wish I'd done that now.

marina (dot) kurten (at) iki (dot) fi
Old March 17th 06, 06:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-03-17, Julie Cook penned:

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:

Those are great! Is that artist still showing cat jars at the
store? I wouldn't mind one of those ... even though I don't know
what I'd put in it ...

I haven't seen one of the smaller ones in several years however,
since I was asked I searched and found some of her work at:
http://www.thehiddenpaw.net/catalog_c39719.html

I love the reclining cat. I think I'm going to have to order one of
those!

Neat! I wish the pictures were a bit bigger. At that price, I want to
be sure it's what I want!

I will have to put these on a wishlist somewhere ..

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old March 17th 06, 06:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-03-17, Monique Y. Mudama penned:

Neat! I wish the pictures were a bit bigger. At that price, I want
to be sure it's what I want!

Nevermind; I now see the "enlarge" link!

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old March 17th 06, 07:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 11:27:07 -0500, Julie Cook wrote:

iddenpa

Thanks for the interesting information. At this "point in time" I am
giving my collectibles to my grandchildren. I am debating (with myself)
of adding anything else. These Wimsycats are adorable. MLB