Finding apartments that take 4 cats?

Old April 5th 04, 06:13 PM
Karen

Default Finding apartments that take 4 cats?

Well, I just kept calling and asking. I offered higher deposit for "with
claws". I think you have better luck if you rent a house apartment rather
than a complex apartment. I wouldn't give up just when told over phone. Talk
to an actual manager, because they can be much more ready to deal. Just keep
calling and trying. Ask your vet too. See if they have clients who rent
somewhere with more than two cats. Main thing is to be sure to *ask*, don't
just take apartment literature or policies as carved in stone.

Karen

"Anonymous Poster" wrote in message
newsan.2004.04.05.17.04.51.342465@REMOVESPAMBLOC Kanonposter.com...
My wife and I are in a real bind. I lost my job and thus we have to sell
our house. We need to find an apartment, but are having a really difficult
time finding an apartment that doesn't have a 2 cat limit. The funny thing
is, many of them will allow 2 giant dogs. 2 elephants. Just 2 of anything.
So 4 little kitties is EXACTLY the same as 2 big dogs. Very frustrating. I
don't mind paying fees, even though our cats are well behaved and we're
very hygienic about vacuuming and cleaning up after them. We just flat
can't find any place that isn't in the ghetto that allows more than 2
cats? Any ideas on how to deal with this?

Anonymous in case apartment complex managers Google.

Old April 5th 04, 06:25 PM
Mary

We need to find an apartment, but are having a really difficult
time finding an apartment that doesn't have a 2 cat limit.

A lot of cities have 2-3 cat limits also. I would show the landlord photos of
how great your home looked with your 4 cats. Then I'd offer a pet deposit
agreement. Below is a sample one.
http://www.apartmentownersassociatio...mpleForms/peta
greement.pdf
Tell them that your cats don't claw carpets or drapes and will not spray or
pee. You agree to replace the drapes and carpeting if they do.

Old April 5th 04, 09:03 PM
kaeli

In article pan.2004.04.05.17.04.51.342465
@REMOVESPAMBLOCKanonposter.com,
enlightened us with...
My wife and I are in a real bind. I lost my job and thus we have to sell
our house. We need to find an apartment, but are having a really difficult
time finding an apartment that doesn't have a 2 cat limit. The funny thing
is, many of them will allow 2 giant dogs. 2 elephants. Just 2 of anything.
So 4 little kitties is EXACTLY the same as 2 big dogs. Very frustrating. I
don't mind paying fees, even though our cats are well behaved and we're
very hygienic about vacuuming and cleaning up after them. We just flat
can't find any place that isn't in the ghetto that allows more than 2
cats? Any ideas on how to deal with this?

Not that I advocate this or anything, but I've had more pets than the
limit for years and no one has ever said anything. It's not like they
come in and count them. I'm over by two pets. My city ordinance states
that one can have 2 dogs or cats or a combo. I have 3 cats and a dog.
However, I do own my condo, so that may make a difference.

On a side note, I own my condo for less than most people pay for rent
around here (I save over $100 a month, and that's with the association
and electric added in). You may want to consider that. Apartments don't
have equity - you lose everything you pay them. Condos are half of what
houses cost, at least in my area. I got mine for $80k as a starter home.

~kaeli~
If a book about failures doesn't sell, is it a success?
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

Old April 5th 04, 09:42 PM
Ginger-lyn Summer

On Mon, 05 Apr 2004 10:04:52 -0700, Anonymous Poster
wrote:

My wife and I are in a real bind. I lost my job and thus we have to sell
our house. We need to find an apartment, but are having a really difficult
time finding an apartment that doesn't have a 2 cat limit. The funny thing
is, many of them will allow 2 giant dogs. 2 elephants. Just 2 of anything.
So 4 little kitties is EXACTLY the same as 2 big dogs. Very frustrating. I
don't mind paying fees, even though our cats are well behaved and we're
very hygienic about vacuuming and cleaning up after them. We just flat
can't find any place that isn't in the ghetto that allows more than 2
cats? Any ideas on how to deal with this?

Anonymous in case apartment complex managers Google.

Good luck to you on your search.

Don't give up. Ask friends who have multiple animals for referrals.
Look for ads that say "pet-friendly" or "pets allowed". Check with
veterinarians' offices and shelters, too. Be honest with any
potential landlord about how many cats you have. Offer to pay for any
potential damages should they occur (while reassuring a potential
landlord that it is highly unlikely). Seek out individual landlords,
who may be more flexible.

I'm giving all this advice as someone who was in the same position you
are now back in 1986. I found an individual landlord who advertised
"pets allowed", and told him I had four cats (at the time). He
pointed out that if the place had to be fumigated, it would come out
of my deposit, and I said "Of course." I moved in, and have been here
ever since. Now I help him with small repairs and interviewing
potential tenants. I have placed fliers advertising the apartments as
"pet-friendly" in vets' offices and shelters, and he still includes
"pets allowed" in the newspaper ads.

There used to be a group around here that had a brochure listing
pet-friendly apartments, but I don't know if they still exist. You
may also try to find out if any organizations in your city have
something similar.

Hope you find what you need soon.

Ginger-lyn

Old April 6th 04, 01:53 AM
KellyH

You also may want to talk to a local rescue organization for information on
finding a pet-friendly apartment. They might have a list, or a volunteer
might be a landlord, or know someone. We were also in a similar predicament
when my brother-in-law, who's house we were renting, decided to cash in on
the real estate boom and sell the house. That meant we had to move. We
started looking around for apartments, and were running into the same
problem with our 3 cats (at the time, now it's 5). We lucked into a condo
that my husband's co-worker was selling, and honestly, the mortgage payment
is less than we would pay in rent. Maybe you could buy something small? We
are also technically over the pet limit for our condos, but all they will do
is fine us.

I applaud you for considering your cats in this situation. As a rescue
volunteer, we get so many cats that are just left behind when people move.
Also a round of applause for your stance on declawing. I don't know how
people can value objects more than the welfare of their pets.

--
-Kelly
kelly at farringtons dot net

"Anonymous Poster" wrote in message
newsan.2004.04.05.22.18.16.190585@REMOVESPAMBLOC Kanonposter.com...
On Mon, 05 Apr 2004 15:03:55 -0500, kaeli wrote:

Not that I advocate this or anything, but I've had more pets than the
limit for years and no one has ever said anything. It's not like they
come in and count them. I'm over by two pets. My city ordinance states
that one can have 2 dogs or cats or a combo. I have 3 cats and a dog.
However, I do own my condo, so that may make a difference.

We're trying to be forthright, but considering I'm not going to just give
the cats up as some of these places would have us do, it's hard to know
what our options are. In fact, two places we looked at had people showing
us the units who talked openly (two people in one day) about having cats
that were declawed in order to protect their "thousand dollar furniture".
That was really frustrating. (A) Because I'm laid off so I can't afford
thousand dollar furniture and (B) because we buy cheap furniture because
our cats lives and happiness are more important than our furniture... and
(C) it is possible to keep cats from scratching furniture if you actually
pay some attention to their needs. Ugh. Anyway, it was very frustrating.

On a side note, I own my condo for less than most people pay for rent
around here (I save over $100 a month, and that's with the association
and electric added in). You may want to consider that. Apartments don't
have equity - you lose everything you pay them. Condos are half of what
houses cost, at least in my area. I got mine for $80k as a starter home.

I would consider that if the economy wasn't so bad. The reason we're even
in this spot is because I got laid off from the tech industry and we're
selling our house. Tech isn't exactly hopping right now. I don't know if
I'll ever get employed in this industry again, so I will not consider
buying a house until companies consider giving us some jobs that aren't
located in Bangalor.