Purrs for Imp

Old August 14th 05, 08:29 AM
Mischief

Default Purrs for Imp

Someone had diarrhea last wednesday, but with 3 cats I could not tell
who did it.

Then on Thursday night after seeing three huge globs of diarrhea in the
litter box I immediately did a butt check.

And Imp had a dirty butt.

Friday morning I had to call work to get the okay to bring him in. He
was trying to act like nothing was wrong. "Diarrhea? Who, me? No it
wasn't!" Then I pulled out the cat carrier.

I heard the silent message. "IT'S THE CAT CARRIER!! SCATTER!!!" All
three cats suddenly disappeared and I had to hunt them down and close
doors so I could finally corner Imp and get him into the carrier.

He did not like the car ride. He did not like being shoved into a cage
AGAIN within the span of over a week of his 'horrible' experience. And
he did NOT like have the fecal wand stuck up his butt, TWICE.

THe fecal smear and fecal float showed no signs of bacteria or
parasites, so Dr. Z's conclusion was that he had a case of primary
enteritis. It's a fancy word for that he had an upset tummy.

I was dreading this because I knew it meant pills and I have never had
to pill any of my cats. So Imp got prescribed Immodium for the
diarrhea, and Flagyl which is a gastroenteric antibiotic. So Friday
afternoon, i had my first shot at pilling him and it went really well.
He swallowed them both on the first try. But I knew that catching him
is a royal pain.

Friday night I gave him his pills in a salmon flavored pill pocket. We
use them on dogs all the time and they work great so we're trying them
on cats. Currently a cat at the clinic named Moose is happy to take
his Clavamox in a pill pocket. Imp's also on canned I/D which is
prescription food for gastroenteric patients. Which means separating
all three cats in separate rooms so no one eats the other's food. I
specifically got canned because I only give the cats canned food as a
treat and all three showed up in the kitchen when I opened the can.
Mischief and Mayhem were not happy to be shut in separate rooms eating
dry food while Imp got gooshy.

Friday night's pilling was a success, because first I gave Imp an empty
pill pocket which he slowly ate. Then I gave him one with the pills.

He sniffed it, and gingerly ate it. Success!

Then this morning i was wise to give him his pills before breakfast.
He sniffed it again and then gave me a look like he knew something was
up. I walked away knowing that he was hungry and he had no choice. It
was gone when I came back. And then I gave him his canned I/D

Tonight after separating them for dinner, I gave him his pill pocket,
but this time he was onto me. He just sniffed at it and gave me this
look of, "I know there's something in this and i don't see why I have
to eat it."

So I had to pill him, which he didn't like. *sigh* this has to go on
for a few more days. As of tonight there still is diarrhea in the
litterbox, but it's smaller so I'm hoping he's getting better.

Please keep Imp in your purrs for his diarrhea to get better and tell
him that the pills are to help him. And purr for me that I can catch
him twice a day to administer them.

Kristi

Old August 14th 05, 09:42 AM
Exocat

"Mischief" wrote
Please keep Imp in your purrs for his diarrhea to get better and tell
him that the pills are to help him. And purr for me that I can catch
him twice a day to administer them.

Absolutely! All purring hard for a successful (& speedy) outcome

Gordon & the FF

Old August 14th 05, 09:57 AM
Lisa Katt

Purrs for Imp and Kristi.
Elisabet and Hugo Katt

.com...

Old August 14th 05, 10:36 AM
M Elizabeth

"Mischief" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Purrs for your fur baby...

Old August 14th 05, 11:29 AM
Adrian

Mischief wrote:
[...]

Purrs for Imp to feel better soon.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy & Bagheera)
A house is not a home, without a cat.

Old August 14th 05, 12:51 PM
jmcquown

Mischief wrote:
Someone had diarrhea last wednesday, but with 3 cats I could not tell
who did it.

Then on Thursday night after seeing three huge globs of diarrhea in
the litter box I immediately did a butt check.

And Imp had a dirty butt.

Kristi

Purrs for full recover and successful pilling! Persia tried to fight me
when I had to pill her after her bladder surgery. I was successful in that
I wrapped one arm around her, grasping her head with one hand and prying
open her mouth (of course she was already yelling so it wasn't hard to get
her to open her mouth). Popped the pill in, closed her mouth and then
gently blew on her nose. This causes a reflexive swallowing action. She
only managed to spit out one pill and I was able to grab it and successfully
complete the pilling process. After a few days of this she sort of resigned
herself to the routine, even though she didn't like it.

Jill

Old August 14th 05, 01:47 PM
JBHajos

On 14 Aug 2005 00:29:12 -0700, "Mischief"
wrote:

Please keep Imp in your purrs for his diarrhea to get better and tell
him that the pills are to help him. And purr for me that I can catch
him twice a day to administer them.

Purrs for Imp to get well ASAP, and for you in administering the
pills. Imp seems typical if our cats are any indication. Both will
happily accept pills the first couple of days. After that, it's
tornado mode and it takes two people to get any more down 'em with
life and limb intact!!

Jeanne
Old August 14th 05, 03:39 PM
Karen

in article , Mischief
at
wrote on 8/14/05 2:29AM:

[...]

Purrs for imp. Can you crush the pill? Pearl does really well eating her
gooshy food with pill crushed in it. (little harder with pred as is
apparently worse tasting, so I have to do that with a tablespoon of
forbidden Fancy Feast).

Old August 14th 05, 04:00 PM
Victor Martinez

Mischief wrote:
Please keep Imp in your purrs for his diarrhea to get better and tell
him that the pills are to help him. And purr for me that I can catch
him twice a day to administer them.

Lots of purrs.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old August 14th 05, 05:32 PM
Kreisleriana

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 09:42:05 +0100, "Exocat"
yodeled:

"Mischief" wrote
Please keep Imp in your purrs for his diarrhea to get better and tell
him that the pills are to help him. And purr for me that I can catch
him twice a day to administer them.

Absolutely! All purring hard for a successful (& speedy) outcome

Gordon & the FF

Hmm, I don't know, it seems "speedy outcome" is exactly what we are
trying to avoid, in this case.

Butt purrs for Imp.

Theresa

Multi-purpose purrs jmcquown Cat anecdotes 22 November 23rd 04 02:16 PM
Purrs for Rosie Jo Firey Cat anecdotes 137 October 15th 04 11:36 AM
Truck Purrs jmcquown Cat anecdotes 18 October 5th 04 02:40 PM
Travel purrs Karen Chuplis Cat anecdotes 33 August 13th 04 06:00 PM
Purrs for Lacey Julie Cook Cat anecdotes 25 November 19th 03 05:20 AM