Animals are not currency

Old September 13th 04, 11:59 PM
Michael

Default Animals are not currency

On another chat that I can't post to they are talking about charging
fees to rescue animals. Since I can't post there I post here because
I just am kinda p.o.'d at a lot about the incendiary post that I read
and need an outlet, please indulge me.

Yes, it's not right for a rescue to charge fees to adopt animals that
they've rescued, but then how do people keep the resuce going.

In our case, we have had to muster all our rescued animals, exotic
birds,
to one location rather than let members keep them at their homes.

We now insist on adopters meeting their birds, learning about it and
making an obvious bond. No bond and the bird never leaves. No stable
home life and the bird never leaves.

Then too we end up with many birds that are really damaaged both
physically and emotionally, not just anybody is going to be able to
handle and care for them. They will be with us for a long time. . .
and they need to eat and be cared for which i can assure you cost
bucks.

So, best thing to do is keep a watch on a bird rescue that charges fee
and watch for animal abuses or mistreatment or overcrowding. A
"rescue" agency that just takes birds in, doesn't attend to their
needs then turns them is not much better than a puppy mill.

Check us out and give me some feedback if you like.
http://www.wondertainment.com/rescue/rescue1.htm

Thanks Michael
Old September 14th 04, 04:17 AM
KellyH

"Michael" wrote in message
om...
On another chat that I can't post to they are talking about charging
fees to rescue animals. Since I can't post there I post here because
I just am kinda p.o.'d at a lot about the incendiary post that I read
and need an outlet, please indulge me.

Yes, it's not right for a rescue to charge fees to adopt animals that
they've rescued, but then how do people keep the resuce going.

snip

I have no experience with bird rescue, only with cats. I would think any
animal rescue would charge for adoption, and I don't see how that is wrong.
In fact, most rescue organizations charge a fee not only to recoup some of
the costs of caring for the animals, but because they want to adopt to
people who are serious about wanting a pet. If you give the animal away for
free, how do you know it's not going to some wacko who's going to do
something awful, or is really a front for animal testing? These types of
people are not going to pay $50 or more for an animal.

Honestly, I've never heard the arguement that it's NOT right to charge an
adoption fee.

--
-Kelly
kelly at farringtons dot net

Old September 14th 04, 04:56 AM
bonbon

On 13 Sep 2004 15:59:51 -0700, (Michael)
wrote:

[...]

Hi Michael. I too rescue birds. For the past 4 years, every
spring/summer I've rescued babies (mocking bird and blue jay) that
have fallen out of their nest. Naturally, if I know where the nest
is, I have my husband help me put the baby back in it, but usually
that's not the case, and I end up being "bird mom" for 2 or 3 months
until the little bugger has all of it's flight feathers. Baby birds
want to be fed ALL day long, but it's a lot of fun, as well as
entertaining. They do sleep the night through. which is nice.

I also rescue birds from my cat, Darla.

Good luck with your bird sanctuary!

-bonbon

Old September 14th 04, 07:09 AM
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Michael wrote:

On another chat that I can't post to they are talking about charging
fees to rescue animals. Since I can't post there I post here because
I just am kinda p.o.'d at a lot about the incendiary post that I read
and need an outlet, please indulge me.

Yes, it's not right for a rescue to charge fees to adopt animals that
they've rescued, but then how do people keep the resuce going.

Actually, there's a good reason for charging a fee (quite
apart from reimbursing the rescue agency for part of its
expenses - veterinarian services, etc.). The feeling among
most of the agencies which charge for pets is that people
all to often do not appreciate what they don't have to pay
for. (Certainly if you pay $50 or $75 for a pet, you are
less likely to turn it over to a lab for experiments or
something like that.)

Obviously that's not true of all those here who have rescued
or been adopted by strays - we value them for themselves.
(And be honest - isn't there soemthing very ego-bolstering
in knowing you've been "chosen" by a cat?)