new litter problem child

Old May 22nd 04, 12:46 AM
Wendy

Default new litter problem child

They all went to see the vet today.

Tiffany, the problem child, stopped taking the bottle on Wednesday so I had
to go back to fighting KMR into her with the syringe. Thursday she got the
runs and that's when I called the vet. They gave me some Colostrum and
Probiotic last night and made an appt. to take all four in to get checked
this morning. Last night I ended up giving her some Karo and water to keep
her hydrated, keep the blood sugar up and give her gut a break from not
doing well with the formula.

She must have known she was going to the vet because this morning she
actually took the bottle again. She still has the runs but has been eating
better today until the last feeding when she went on strike again.

One of the boys got the runs this afternoon but at least he's still eating
well.

Poor Tiffany's bum is so red and sore. She screams when I clean her up. Any
suggestions about what might be safe to put on her poor sore butt? I was
thinking maybe some preparation H or nupercanal ointment but didn't know if
that would be ok to use on a 2 1/2 wk old kitten.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Wendy

Old May 22nd 04, 02:27 AM
Aimee S

Hi

I have always had vet's tell me that Neosporin is best for sore spots on
the little one. I'd really be afraid of Preparation H for a little
kitten.

Good luck with the runs, I wll be getting some 2 to 3 week old kittens
this coming week.

Aimee

Old May 22nd 04, 05:09 AM
Mary

I was
thinking maybe some preparation H or nupercanal ointment but didn't know if
that would be ok to use on a 2 1/2 wk old kitten.

I use prep H on baby squirrels, so do others. You can also use neosporin
ointment with pain relief. Should help a little.

Old May 23rd 04, 12:13 AM
~*Connie*~

Good luck!! You're a better person than I. I am too selfish in this time
of my life for baby kitties... plus I have a FeLV+ cat. Maybe in the

future
I can foster again.

--
Cheryl

Hey Cheryl.. I just had to post that I too had a FeLV+ cat.. He became
exposed after I adopted a kitty I fostered that never got over his URI,
because it turns out he had Felv and FIP..

anyway.. I had all the cats (5) tested, Jack was positive (all 5 had high
fip titers). Had him retested six weeks later again positive. I started
him on vitamin C, and a year later he is now FeLV negative, and most are fip
'negative as well.
I came upon the suggestion while reading "The Very Healthy Cat" book..
http://www.belfield.com/books.html

Just thought Id mention it.

Old May 23rd 04, 03:20 AM
Cheryl

"~*Connie*~" dumped this in
on 22 May 2004:

I had all the cats (5) tested, Jack was positive (all 5 had high
fip titers). Had him retested six weeks later again positive. I
started him on vitamin C, and a year later he is now FeLV negative,
and most are fip 'negative as well.

Thanks Connie. I read that about Vit C a long time ago, and tried giving
him supplements for a while until I read some studies that said Vit C had
no effect on cats at all even though I have read anecdotal histories such
as yours. Congrats on that! Between the IBD and FeLV, I've tried so many
homeopathic/holistic/allopathic treatments. He was on Interferon for a
while until his IBD got really bad and the vet said Interferon was
messing with the GI tract immune system so we cut him off of Interferon,
and it helped the IBD (somewhat). The poor cat is on Prednisone for the
IBD so that doesn't help the FeLV but so far he is non-symptomatic. At
this time, the IBD is much worse than the fact that he's FeLV+ so we're
treating that. Incidentally, he became FeLV+ from a blood transfusion
nearly 2 years ago. Thanks for the info. I'm always open to something
new for both diseases. For IBD he's on Flagyl, prednisone, fish oil,
slippery elm, Vit B complex and off/on pepcid as needed. At best, this is
just keeping him somewhat comfortable. I just can't find a food that
doesn't trigger diarrhea in him. Just as with humans with colitis or
similar, he has good days and not so good days.

--
Cheryl