Urgent - Kitten burned in brush fire

Old March 10th 05, 11:08 PM
Sarah

"mlbriggs" wrote in message
news

Please don't let the comments of one or two get you down. There are many
here who feel for the situation and wish you and the kitty swift healing.
MLB

Thank you. We took it to the vet this morning, bright and early. They're
very optomistic. We've decided to leave it there for a few days, they'll be
giving it fluids under it's skin, feeding it a special paste, and giving it
something for the pain. Sounds like our kitten will be good as new soon.

Old March 10th 05, 11:15 PM
Joe Canuck

Sarah wrote:

It's an outdoor cat -- it lives outside, we're on an acreage.

There's no possible way you could run into a fire to go after it. The heat
would be unbearable - it's anyone's guess what would have enticed the kitten
into it.

I certainly wasn't "trolling", but you can be sure I'll make a point of
avoiding these newsgroups in the future. It's a shame usenet has come to
this.

On the other hand, you could just leave without all the fanfare.

It just makes sense on farmland, or whatever, to ensure all the animals
are safe prior to starting any controlled burns.

"Joe Canuck" wrote in message

Sarah wrote:

We were burning some dead trees and brush today, and while doing so, saw
one of our kittens dart into the brush fire. It was in there for quite
some time, and later came out, pretty severely burned. His eyes seem to
be almost entirely closed up, and obvious all of his fur is in pretty bad
shape. Overall, he looks pretty rough.

It's midnight here, and our vet won't be around until the morning. Does
anyone know how we can care for this kitten throughout the night? Is
there such a thing as a 24-hour pet hotline for advice on this type of
thing?

I would really, really appreciate any help that anyone can give me.

Thank you,

Sarah

Why did you allow the kitten outside when you knew you would be starting a
brush fire? That doesn't seem like a very swift move.

Old March 10th 05, 11:39 PM
Mary

"Sarah" wrote in message
It's an outdoor cat -- it lives outside, we're on an acreage.

There's no possible way you could run into a fire to go after it. The heat
would be unbearable - it's anyone's guess what would have enticed the

kitten
into it.

I certainly wasn't "trolling", but you can be sure I'll make a point of
avoiding these newsgroups in the future. It's a shame usenet has come to
this.

Sarah, I'm sorry, but please understand there are idiots who post
untrue things they know will be upsetting to people who love cats.
Hope the baby heals. It doesn't matter now what you should or
should not have done before burning, when it comes down to it.
Now you know, anyway, what can happen.

Old March 11th 05, 01:08 AM
Rhonda

What a horrible thing to experience, for all of you.

Good luck to your kitty. I hope she heals quickly.

I'm wondering when she's better, if she should have a few medical tests.
It seems unusual for a kitten to run into something that dangerous,
although I suppose stranger things have happened. Maybe talk to the vet
to see if any of her senses are off -- hearing, sight, maybe even smell,
etc.

I swear one of our kittens had a death wish, but she's age 2 now!

Hope kitty is better soon.

Rhonda

Old March 11th 05, 12:14 PM
Joe Canuck

Sarah wrote:
"mlbriggs" wrote in message
news

Please don't let the comments of one or two get you down. There are many
here who feel for the situation and wish you and the kitty swift healing.
MLB

Thank you. We took it to the vet this morning, bright and early. They're
very optomistic. We've decided to leave it there for a few days, they'll be
giving it fluids under it's skin, feeding it a special paste, and giving it
something for the pain. Sounds like our kitten will be good as new soon.

Troll.

....given the number of times (6) you referred to the kitten as "it" in
your response above.
Old March 11th 05, 02:35 PM
Linda Terrell

In article ,
Brian Beuchaw wrote:

In rec.pets.cats.health+behav Sarah wrote:
We were burning some dead trees and brush today, and while doing so, saw
one
of our kittens dart into the brush fire. It was in there for quite some
time, and later came out, pretty severely burned. His eyes seem to be
almost entirely closed up, and obvious all of his fur is in pretty bad
shape. Overall, he looks pretty rough.

And after seeing him go into the fire, you decided to let him stay there
"for quite some time"? If you're not a troll, then you shouldn't own pets
or reproduce because you obviously can't handle the responsibility, and
it's horrible that an animal suffered because of your stupidity.

Yeah, there may be a reason (or many) that you didn't try to get him out,
but this smells like a troll.

brian

I know if it had been my cat, I would have been screaming, and running
for a hose to put the fire out and pulling things apart to find the
animal.

LT
Old March 11th 05, 03:19 PM
KellyH

"Sarah" wrote
Thank you. We took it to the vet this morning, bright and early. They're
very optomistic. We've decided to leave it there for a few days, they'll
be giving it fluids under it's skin, feeding it a special paste, and
giving it something for the pain. Sounds like our kitten will be good as
new soon.

Please consider keeping this kitten indoors from now on.

--
-Kelly
kelly at farringtons dot net

Old March 11th 05, 03:42 PM
Mary

"Joe Canuck" wrote in message
Sarah wrote:
"mlbriggs" wrote in message
news

Please don't let the comments of one or two get you down. There are

many
here who feel for the situation and wish you and the kitty swift

healing.
MLB

Thank you. We took it to the vet this morning, bright and early.

They're
very optomistic. We've decided to leave it there for a few days, they'll

be
giving it fluids under it's skin, feeding it a special paste, and giving

it
something for the pain. Sounds like our kitten will be good as new

soon.

Troll.

...given the number of times (6) you referred to the kitten as "it" in
your response above.

That is kind of weird, but how some people are about all animals.

Old March 11th 05, 03:48 PM
Mary

"Linda Terrell" wrote in message
In article ,
Brian Beuchaw wrote:

[...]

Me too. But then I bet you know whether your cat is a boy or a girl, too.

Blind Kitten advice. Njwatcher Cat health & behaviour 24 January 27th 06 11:26 PM
4 days with my kitten.. please help :) [email protected] Cats - misc 12 January 18th 05 04:39 AM
4 days with the kitten... please help me :) [email protected] Cats - misc 4 January 16th 05 02:50 AM
Guest Cat & Kitten LOL Cat anecdotes 30 August 10th 04 02:08 PM
Gem the Gray Kitten (long) Annie Benson-Lennaman Cat anecdotes 21 August 25th 03 01:02 AM