My cat (male) has a urinary problem.

Old February 28th 04, 08:03 PM
Pedro

Default My cat (male) has a urinary problem.

Greetings,

My cat (male) has a urinary problem. This is the third time it happens, and
back to the antibiotic until he is good! Vet. says it's common in cats, but,
how can I make him good? Is there a way to prevent it from happening?
Thank you very much.

Pedro Pereira

Old February 28th 04, 11:57 PM
Loves_to_read

Pedro Pereira wrote:
My cat (male) has a urinary problem. This is the third time it happens, and
back to the antibiotic until he is good! Vet. says it's common in cats, but,
how can I make him good? Is there a way to prevent it from happening?
Thank you very much.
======================================
My male cat as Feline Urinary Syndrome which causes crystals to form in his
urine and eventually clog up the urethra. The first two times, I didn't
catch it until he was really bad and had to stay at the vet until he could
pass urine again. The third time, I caught it the first day when he started
looking funny. He now only eats Science Diet C/D cat food for cats with
urinary problems. I tried changing his diet once to regular store bought
cat food (like Meow Mix) and he ended up at the vets again. SO, it's just
C/D from now until I no longer have him (and he's about 15 years old now).
Penny

Old February 29th 04, 10:40 AM
Bob Brenchley.

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 20:03:16 -0000, "Pedro"
wrote:

Greetings,

My cat (male) has a urinary problem. This is the third time it happens, and
back to the antibiotic until he is good! Vet. says it's common in cats, but,
how can I make him good? Is there a way to prevent it from happening?
Thank you very much.

Pedro Pereira

Diet is by far the most important factor. Make sure he is fed a good
quality tinned food as dry feeding is one of the major causes of
urinary problems.

--
Bob.

When the cat's away there are fewer hairs on the armchair.

Old February 29th 04, 10:50 AM
kilikini

wrote:

Greetings,

My cat (male) has a urinary problem. This is the third time it happens,

and
back to the antibiotic until he is good! Vet. says it's common in cats,

but,
how can I make him good? Is there a way to prevent it from happening?
Thank you very much.

Pedro Pereira

Diet is by far the most important factor. Make sure he is fed a good
quality tinned food as dry feeding is one of the major causes of
urinary problems.

--
Bob.

When the cat's away there are fewer hairs on the armchair.

Bob, just a question, I usually feed my cats a mix of dry and wet (tinned)
food. Lately, they've been ignoring the wet and prefer the dry. It's fine
with me, it's cheaper, but do you believe they will still be as healthy?

kilikini

Old February 29th 04, 02:14 PM
Bob Brenchley.

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 10:50:37 GMT, "kilikini"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

Giving some dry doesn't hurt and does help to exercise their
jaws/teeth (but as cats cannot chew it has little if any cleaning
effect on their teeth). Mine has a small portion of dry if I'm home
around lunchtime, which I usually am if there are any rescue cats
here.

Best recommendation is not to allow the dry food to form more than 30%
of their diet. As for their preference for dry, this is often down to
the fat they coat dry food in to stop it oxidizing in storage. Over
the years I've had a few guest cats that have been fed on dry food and
it has been a problem to get them switched to a proper diet, but when
you compare like with like the cost is not an issue - even the
cheapest tinned food is better than the most expensive dry.

--
Bob.

distinction is yours to draw...

Old February 29th 04, 06:01 PM
kilikini

(snip)

[...]

Okay, thanks. I wondered if they were getting enough nutrition with only
the dry so I've been supplementing their diet with whatever meat I make for
dinner. Yesterday my girls had shredded cooked chicken. Today they'll have
finely chopped up steak. Just asking your opinion, do you think this is
healthy for them? They also just *adore* ham and every time I cook that I
finely cube some up for them. I know ham is very salty, but I've heard that
canned cat food is salty too, so I don't know how bad ham is for them.
There isn't any in canned food on the shelves which makes me wonder.........
Back to the canned food question, why would they just stop eating it? They
completely ignore the plate when I set it down in front of them, but their
weight is good, their coats are shiny. But, if I make chicken, boy, are
they at my feet literally *screaming* for it! I just need to know that
feeding them bland people food is okay...

kilikini