Medical OT

Old January 19th 12, 10:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

Default kindle

wrote in message
Quite by coincidence, a friend just sent me this picture a few minutes
ago. I haven't told her about this discussion.

http://www.sonic.net/~jwermont/misc/...i_love_nyc.jpg

--
Joyce

LOL!

Joy

Old January 20th 12, 11:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
wafflycat[_3_]

"Kajikit" wrote in message

snippity

Not a clue. But I love my kindle. I only ever put free books onto it
but there's enough to keep me occupied practically forever, especially
since Amazon constantly changes their 'free' section. They tend to put
the first book in a series for free in the hopes that you'll be hooked
and shell out the $$ for the rest. Well, they can hope...

Another fan here. My son bought me a Kindle for Christmas. I adore it. It
does not take the place of 'real' books, but it is a wonderful addition to
the many formats of reading out there.

Plus points:-

Lots of classics available for free.
Loads of other books available in Kindle format too.
You aren't limited to getting books from Amazon alone - other places do
stuff in Kindle format. Example: Project Gutenberg
Great way of having lots of reading material available in a very small space
Much lighter than a bag full of books (and I am known to have lots of
reading material on me!)
Easy to use one-handed; great for ease of page 'turning' when reading in bed
as I do.
The screen (e-ink) is much more gentle on the eye than a computer screen and
easy to read in bright sunlight without glare.
One charge of a Kindle lasts for ages - uses less power than a computer-type
screen
Can change page rotation/font size to suit. Also a few fonts to choose from,
so you can personalise.
Has search facility, comment facility. So you can scrawl in the book to your
heart's content without defacing the page, so to speak.
Any downloads form Amazon are stored on cloud, so if you lose/replace your
Kindle, you haven't lost your Kindle library.
Great when travelling as a means of taking a choice of reading material.

Negative points:-

Monochrome images
Not all books are available in Kindle format
Some books (such as those that rely on lots of graphics) are not suited to
Kindle format IMO. Example would be some sort of manual where your rely on
images/text combined to show step-by-step instructions.
Not suitable where yopu want to have multiple books open at once for
comparison purposes.

That sums up a Kindle for me. I adore my Kindle and am finding it a useful
and enjoyable aid to reading. Will it replace traditonal books? No, of
course not, btu it's not meant to do that. To view the Kindle as a death
knell to books or as some kind of 'either/or' choice with regard to books &
reading is a false premise.

Coming back to cats: Waffles and Francis are well and enoying keeping me in
my place.

Old January 20th 12, 02:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin

Starting a new thread here. I have some questions about the Kindle. Can you
get any book at all for the Kindle? It doesn't seem like that would be the
case, since that would mean that every book in existence has been digitized,
and I seriously doubt that. Many obscure movies never even made it to VHS
tapes, much less DVD. Is it harder to find obscure or out-of-print books to
read on the Kindle than it is to just hunt in used bookstores, or on the web?

Since there's a program called Calibre that will convert documents
including ebooks from one file format to another, yes, you can read
anything on the kindle. Just stick it into Calibre, choose the right
format and say 'convert', wait about five minutes, then you can even
tell Calibre to upload it to your kindle for you.

Second question - of the books that *have* been digitized, can all of them
be read on the Kindle? Or can you only read books that have been digitized
to a certain proprietary format for the Kindle? Are there competing devices
that use different formats, which cannot be read on the Kindle, or vice-
versa? (I really *hate* that!)

The kindle uses the kindle format. But you can also read pdfs on it.
And you can change the format with the right program (see above)

The main thing I would want an e-reader for is organizing sheet music -
I often end up walking around with a briefcaseful of the stuff, and
it's heavy and hard to search when it's on paper. So I would like
something that could both display the music at a readable size (my
eyesight isn't very good) and index it properly so I could flip
through it fast (e.g. flip between any of the 50 or so klezmer tunes
in our local group's repertoire in a couple of seconds).

I don't think it can be done. The Kindle screen isn't big enough
and its ability to index things from non-Amazon sources isn't up
to the job.

Small test example:

http://www.lulu.com/items/volume_45/...rian_Music.pdf

In a PDF reader I can flip to "Minka" in three clicks. How long
does it take on a Kindle? Once I've got there, could I sightread
the tune with the Kindle at arm's length on a music stand?

I would never consider buying anything from Amazon however good it
might be, anyway (brutal union-busting employers who treat their
workers like serfs).

Old January 20th 12, 04:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Winnie

http://www.lulu.com/items/volume_45/...nt/Fakebook_Bu...

In a PDF reader I can flip to "Minka" in three clicks. *How long
does it take on a Kindle? *Once I've got there, could I sightread
the tune with the Kindle at arm's length on a music stand?

I would never consider buying anything from Amazon however good it
might be, anyway (brutal union-busting employers who treat their
workers like serfs).

There are other e-readers besides Kindle. I bought a "non-Kindle"
as mentioned in other posts. The posts here make it sound like
Kindle is the only e-reader. Granted, it may be one of the most
popular and has great reviews. Most if not all tablets have e-reading
functions.
Don't know about reading sheet music. I play the piano myself.
Never thought of reading and organizing music through a e-reader.
I may give it a try and see how it goes. Must admit my reader is not
the best in the lot so what it cannot do may be doable with other
readers.

e *m *a *i *l * *: * *j *a *c *k * @ * c *a *m *p *i *n * . * m *e * . * u *k
Jack Campin, *11 Third Street, *Newtongrange, *Midlothian EH22 4PU, *Scotland
mobile 07800 739 557 * * * http://www.campin.me.uk * * *Twitter: JackCampin

Old January 20th 12, 05:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

e m a i l : j a c k @ c a m p i n . m e . u
Jack Campin, 11 Third Street, Newtongrange, Midlothian EH22 4PU,
Scotland
mobile 07800 739 557 http://www.campin.me.uk Twitter:
JackCampin

- - - - - - - - - - -

There is a Kindle DX with a larger screen (and more expensive). I don't
know if it would be suitable for your purposes, or not. However, it is also
from Amazon, and you have indicated that you do not want to buy from them.
Perhaps one of the tablets would work for you?

MaryL

Old January 20th 12, 08:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Jack Campin wrote:

Small test example:

http://www.lulu.com/items/volume_45/...rian_Music.pdf

In a PDF reader I can flip to "Minka" in three clicks. How long
does it take on a Kindle? Once I've got there, could I sightread
the tune with the Kindle at arm's length on a music stand?

Nothing to do with e-readers - I'm just interested in the music. Is
everything in this book instrumental only? I listened to a few of these
on Youtube and so far it seems mostly like folk dance music, is that
right? I didn't recognize any of these titles, but then again I'm not
a folk dancer.

--
Joyce
Old January 20th 12, 09:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin

Small test example:
http://www.lulu.com/items/volume_45/...rian_Music.pdf
In a PDF reader I can flip to "Minka" in three clicks. How long
does it take on a Kindle? Once I've got there, could I sightread
the tune with the Kindle at arm's length on a music stand?

Nothing to do with e-readers - I'm just interested in the music. Is
everything in this book instrumental only? I listened to a few of these
on Youtube and so far it seems mostly like folk dance music, is that
right? I didn't recognize any of these titles, but then again I'm not
a folk dancer.

Yes, they're purely instrumental, though some (like "Minka") are based
on songs. It's not a genre I play a lot, though some people around here
do - there's a Scottish folk/jazz piper/whistleplayer/saxophonist,
Fraser Fifield, who collaborates regularly with Bulgarian musicians.
I go more for stuff from other parts of Eastern Europe: Hungarian and
Romanian/Moldavian/klezmer.

I've tried doing Bulgarian dancing. I just don't get it.

Old January 20th 12, 11:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

Default Medical OT

On 20/01/2012 7:30 AM, Christina Websell wrote:
wrote in message
On 17/01/2012 9:49 AM, wrote:
Christina Websell wrote:

May he recover. I was told I would not, and got my grave arranged.
I did
get better but how long for I don't know.
Six years now, about time for something else in the cancer dept to
kick in.

I've always heard that once you've passed the 5-year mark (of remission)
that your risk of getting cancer again is the same as anyone else's risk.
That is, your risk doesn't come from the possible reemergence of the
original cancer, but I suppose you could get it again anyway. But no
more so than I could. Have you heard different?

I've heard that too, Joyce. I think that its 'roughly' correct, although
it always depends on the particular person, their family history, the
original type of cancer, the location of it, the treatment they received
the first time etc etc.

Alas, it doesn't stop those who have overcome this horrid disease once
worrying that they'll fall victim to it again.

It's all very well to say that, but one of my colleagues, who thought she
had beaten breast cancer, cured in 5 years, well, after 10 years it got her
in the bones. She died at aged 49.
It will always get you eventually you once you've had it.

Sorry Tweed, but "It will always get you eventually you once you've had
it" is demonstrably not true. Not all those who have had their cancer go
into remission die later of that *same* cancer.

I'm sorry to hear about your friend, but since I don't know her medical
history, I cannot comment on whether her earlier breast cancer was in
any way related to the later bone cancer. Even if it was, it doesn't
make it true for *everyone*, and doesn't necessarily make it true for
*you*.

If you are worried, please talk to your oncologist about this. They will
be able to tell you much more than anyone sitting heer on the interwebs.

You may also find this helpful:
http://www.cancer.org/Treatment/SurvivorshipDuringandAfterTreatment/UnderstandingRecurrence/

Yowie
Old January 22nd 12, 01:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Storrmmee

just read am hoping all is well, Lee
"Christina Websell" wrote in message
I already have my appointments for my CAT scan and MRI scan of my brain.
This is worrying. It usually take ages.
One is for next Thursday. To get it so soon usually means the consultant
is worried too.
OMG. Just let me think someone cancelled and a brain tumour is not on the
cards.
TBH, I would not be surprised as I've been waiting since my ovarian ca in
05 for it to get me again, which it will at some point. I try not to
think about it as much as I can but also try to be optimistic. It's a
sinus problem, right?
My docs are doing the right thing by testing me as loss of smell & taste
can be brain tumour symptoms & with my history it's best not to take a
chance.
Tweed

Old January 23rd 12, 02:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kajikit[_2_]

On Fri, 20 Jan 2012 08:36:38 -0800 (PST), Winnie
wrote:

[...]

The kindle is so popular because they've made it so cheap to buy...
but no, it's definitely NOT suited to displaying sheet music. The
screen is WAY too small... the kindle DX would work but it costs a
fortune because the cost of the screen is most of the price.