Where is Everyone? Roll Call.

Old November 7th 10, 04:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

Default Where is Everyone? Roll Call.

Has UseNet finally been left behind / made redundant by Facebook? It's sad
because it outlasted so many other internet innovations and messaging
systems since the old "bulletin board" days on which I started. It seems
now to be forsaken for Facebook - adding another few billions of dollars to
Facebook's creator/thief (according to the movie, anyway).

Or is it just this particular group that has been deserted by those fed up
with what it seems to have turned into these past two years (and, if so,
I'll have to take my fair share of the blame for that)? I don't know if it
will make any difference, but I've made a promise to myself to stick
strictly to the subject of cats and friendly chat amongst cat slaves - no
matter what the provocation. I'm hoping that it's not too little, too late.

Whatever the reason may be, I'm mourning the passage of this unimaginable,
unequaled, fantastic and even magical bit of cyber friendship - amazed that
it came to be in the first place. I remember the days when 200 new posts
per day was the norm, every troll was "recipied" out the door, political and
religious threads would see hundreds of posts but not a single rude comment.
*Everyone* felt welcomed, cherished and appreciated for who and what they
are/were - ailurophiles (thank you David Stevenson for teaching me that
word).

I *SO* miss my dear friends who no longer post here. I know my age is
making it seem like the "glory days" have gone by, never to be recaptured.
But, I would give anything possible to make this group what it once was -
even though no single person can bring back what we lost. It takes the
tacit agreement of hundreds of individual posters and I'm afraid that there
are not enough people still left here to accomplish that.

Anyway, I would love to know who is still posting or lurking here - those
who haven't given up on trying to recapture what we once had.

Also, if anyone knows why someone left (disliking the group or just likes
Facebook more), I'd like to know that too, if possible.

So my hand is up - Lori Crews (real name optional) aka "CatNipped" began
posting to rec.pets.cats from around 1994 (posting history is optional).

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

See the RPCA FAQ site, by Mark Edwards, at:
http://www.professional-geek.com/rpcablog/

Old November 7th 10, 04:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bobble[_8_]

"CatNipped" wrote in
:

[...]

I lurk more than post here. I prefer FB because there are no wars there.

Bobble
Old November 7th 10, 04:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Debbie Wilson

CatNipped wrote:

Anyway, I would love to know who is still posting or lurking here - those
who haven't given up on trying to recapture what we once had.

Also, if anyone knows why someone left (disliking the group or just likes
Facebook more), I'd like to know that too, if possible.

So my hand is up - Lori Crews (real name optional) aka "CatNipped" began
posting to rec.pets.cats from around 1994 (posting history is optional).

I'm still here, mostly reading, I just prefer Facebook as it's easier to
share photos, and I like the visual aspect apart from anything else.
Anyone who wants to add me, I'm there under Debbie Maizels (Wilson).

Deb (posting since 1996)
--
http://www.scientific-art.com

Old November 7th 10, 04:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat[_3_]

Bobble wrote:
I lurk more than post here. *I prefer FB because there are no wars there.

I use both. Facebook is fairly new to me, I didn't pay much attention
to it at first, but am learning to like it. I rarely have time to do
more than read but this month I'm actively seeking votes for a project
we'd like to do:

http://refresheverything.com/kittysafehaven
or send text: 103497 to P-E-P-S-I (73774)

It could be that a lot of folks just move on to other things than
usenet groups. I used to be very active in Yahoo groups, then just
quit them almost completely. I think people float around on and off
the internet. I don't see why they would have been driven off from
here. I don't like the groups that get tons of spam. This one seems to
be pretty much off the radar of the spammers. The same cannot be said
for most unmoderated Yahoo groups.

Old November 7th 10, 05:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christine BA[_3_]

7.11.2010 17:36, CatNipped kirjoitti:
snip
So my hand is up - Lori Crews (real name optional) aka "CatNipped" began
posting to rec.pets.cats from around 1994 (posting history is optional).

Christine in Finland here, the "other Finn" (apart from Marina). I
started looking for info on cats online as well as among news groups,
and found r.p.c.a. in mid 2000 with the arrival of Laku (cat, born 22
May 2000) into my life. I also use Facebook, for finding friends,
playing games, commenting on friends' posts, sharing and looking at
photos etc.

--
Christine in Finland
christal63 (at) gmail (dot) com
Old November 7th 10, 06:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Storrmmee

i mostly lurk now, don't have fb and don't want it, but have little to
contribute right now, and refuse to deal with things that stress me anymore,
one thing that has stuck with me from the fire is just how close to being on
the other side of the dirt everything i love was... now i am following my
clutter mantra for the emotional things in my life, if i don't love it, if
it doesn't make me better , or its not something that makes me feel good i
try, except for work, to not deal with it, in clutter, if you aren't using
it, don't love it or it doesn't have sentimental value you get rid of it,
posts are the same now for me, i read a first post in a thread, if its not
interesting/funny/educational i pretty much move on,

Old November 7th 10, 06:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sharon & Smudgie[_3_]

Anyway, I would love to know who is still posting or lurking here - those
who haven't given up on trying to recapture what we once had.

Also, if anyone knows why someone left (disliking the group or just likes
Facebook more), I'd like to know that too, if possible.

So my hand is up - Lori Crews (real name optional) aka "CatNipped" began
posting to rec.pets.cats from around 1994 (posting history is optional).

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

I'm still here, mostly lurking.

Sharon

Old November 7th 10, 06:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
---MIKE---

Amber, Tiger and I are still here!

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Old November 7th 10, 06:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

I am still here but sometimes it gets hard. I know people have problems but
it is hard to understand why some with as bad or worse have no patients for
others who do. Went on facebook but was too much junk came each day for me.

Old November 7th 10, 07:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MatSav[_2_]

"CatNipped" wrote in message

Has UseNet finally been left behind / made redundant by
Facebook?

No. Usenet is non-commercial, Facebook isn't. Whilst I like FB, I
much prefer this forum.

Anyway, I would love to know who is still posting or lurking
here...

"MatSav", directed here by Wafflycat (Helen Miles) because of her
tales of the Mighty Huntress on another Group (also a shadow of
its former self, news:uk.rec.cycling). Reading and posting here
since August 2005.

--
MatSav

[Felinitations] Roll Call Yowie Cat anecdotes 2 September 19th 09 10:13 PM
Roll-a-cat Mark Edwards Cat anecdotes 3 November 9th 08 03:17 PM
Kitty Roll Call for a possible book Tanada Cat anecdotes 18 May 24th 06 01:58 PM
Kitty Roll Call for a possible book [email protected] Cat anecdotes 0 May 21st 06 09:49 PM
Morning Roll Call JHBennett Cat anecdotes 1 October 1st 03 03:46 AM