Ping: Victor

Old September 17th 05, 09:42 PM
Christina Websell

Default Ping: Victor

You recently posted about having cluster headaches, but I deleted all posts
from the group a few days ago for obvious reasons. I do occasionally have
migraine myself - actually I had one on Thursday - but I know cluster
headaches are/can be worse.
By coincidence I dropped into a group this afternoon that I've never visited
before and someone posted about having cluster headaches.
The most useful post in reply was this:

Have you tried high-flow oxygen treatment. Best thing I have ever been
near. 12-15 litres a minute for 10 minutes and they're gone. Got my o2
on prescription so it was all easy. Might be worth a try if they're gonna
hang around.

You might ask your doctor if you can get this treatment.
HTH.

Tweed

Old September 17th 05, 11:20 PM
Howard C. Berkowitz

In article , "Christina Websell"
wrote:

[...]

This is definitely in the textbooks as worth trying.
Old September 17th 05, 11:30 PM
Victor Martinez

Christina Websell wrote:
You might ask your doctor if you can get this treatment.

Thanks, I will ask him next time I see him. I hope my insurance covers
that though... healthcare is prohibitely expensive in this country.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old September 18th 05, 12:36 AM
Christina Websell

"Victor Martinez" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:
You might ask your doctor if you can get this treatment.

Thanks, I will ask him next time I see him. I hope my insurance covers
that though... healthcare is prohibitely expensive in this country.

I know that from what I'd read on this group. although Americans sometimes
seem to think that healthcare is free here. It isn't. I pay almost 10 per
cent of my salary per month towards it.
I started full time work at aged 15 and started paying then. I remained
healthy for years and was until 1999. My first eye operation (I asked how
much it would have cost privately) would have been £7,000. Followed by 4
more up to 2004.
I was only back at work 4 months after that lot when I got the big C.

I dread to think what my recent treatment must have cost privately. One
emergency admission via ambulance and a week's stay in hospital with CAT
scan, ultrasound and all the tests you could imagine. Lots of drugs. Return
home via ambulance car.
Readmission two weeks later for major gynae surgery. Lots of drugs. Another
hospital stay. Follow up by consultant for 5 years to check I'm still okay
and don't get a reoccurence of the Big C in another place.
Worth every penny.
I was like everyone else who is healthy, I thought I paid too much. I
didn't expect to be ill. None of us do. It all just came out of the blue.
What a stupid thing to think, that I was paying out all this for health
insurance and never used it!! It seemed like it wasn't value for money,
sort of..
Now I know it was because my life was saved, within 3 weeks I'd had this 40
cm tumour removed which was growing larger daily and cutting off blood
supply to other organs.

People who are out of work, or have never worked, are not excluded from the
health system here. Everyone can get healthcare.
For people who are (in theory) working, each item on a prescription costs
more than £6. When I realised I was going to be very ill, I bought myself a
pre-payment certificate thingie that enabled me to get as many tablets etc
as I needed for 30-odd quid for three months. I'm glad I did as I needed so
much stuff it would have been a real drain on my resources.
I've let it expire. . I only need one script a month now. I don't need
painkillers any more. YAY.

Tweed

Old September 18th 05, 02:32 AM
Victor Martinez

Christina Websell wrote:
I dread to think what my recent treatment must have cost privately. One

Well, to give you an idea. Last time I went to the emergency room with a
cut finger that needed 4 stitches, the actual bill was $500 USD. I paid
only my ER co-pay, $50. I have no idea how people without insurance are
supposed to get care.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old September 18th 05, 02:42 AM
Christina Websell

Christina Websell wrote:
I dread to think what my recent treatment must have cost privately. One

Well, to give you an idea. Last time I went to the emergency room with a
cut finger that needed 4 stitches, the actual bill was $500 USD. I paid
only my ER co-pay, $50. I have no idea how people without insurance are
supposed to get care.

If I went to the emergency room with a finger that needed stitches, it would
cost me nothing. Except I might have to hang around for 8 hours before I
got treated, in a room full of drunks.
Which sort of means I'd like to learn how to stitch myself up.

Tweed

Old September 18th 05, 02:53 AM
Magic Mood Jeep©

Christina Websell wrote:
I dread to think what my recent treatment must have cost privately.
One

Well, to give you an idea. Last time I went to the emergency room
with a cut finger that needed 4 stitches, the actual bill was $500
USD. I paid only my ER co-pay, $50. I have no idea how people
without insurance are supposed to get care.

If I went to the emergency room with a finger that needed stitches,
it would cost me nothing. Except I might have to hang around for 8
hours before I got treated, in a room full of drunks.

Same here with the drunks - except we have the priveledge of paying for the
honor of being lumped in with them.

Which sort of means I'd like to learn how to stitch myself up.

Some people do. Just make sure you have plenty of antisceptic, and
anitbiotics, else a trip to the surgery will follow in a week or so, to have
a badly infected finger removed (ouch).

Tweed

Old September 18th 05, 03:51 AM
Victor Martinez

Christina Websell wrote:
If I went to the emergency room with a finger that needed stitches, it would
cost me nothing. Except I might have to hang around for 8 hours before I
got treated, in a room full of drunks.

Well, I had to wait for at least 4 hours in a room with a couple of
drunks.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old September 18th 05, 04:28 AM
Howard C. Berkowitz

In article , Victor Martinez
wrote:

Christina Websell wrote:
I dread to think what my recent treatment must have cost privately.
One

Well, to give you an idea. Last time I went to the emergency room with a
cut finger that needed 4 stitches, the actual bill was $500 USD. I paid
only my ER co-pay, $50. I have no idea how people without insurance are
supposed to get care.

I ran into that a couple of years ago, with the additional frustration
that I had diagnosed the problem, knew what prescription drugs were
needed, and was willing to forego the ruling out of an unlikely serious
condition, based on very specific knowledge of the probabilities. It
still cost about $1200 to get pain meds and two courses of oral
antibiotics for a leg infection.
Old September 18th 05, 10:36 PM
Yowie

Christina Websell wrote:
[...]

Here in Australia, if we went to hospital with a badly cut finger, we'd be
put into a queue with the people needing the most urgent care beign seen
first. They try to discourage people with colds and hte like going into
"emergency" that way. And, depending on the day and time of year, you may
well end up waiting 8 hours with a room full of drunks, although I've only
ever waited 2 hours.

But for just a cut finger, you'd most likely just go see a GP, and they'd
most likely put you ahead of all the other patients because you have
something "urgent", and they'll stitch you up there and then. I fhte doctor
is "bulk billing" all you have to do is show your medicare card and sign the
claim form, and its free. I fhtye aren't bulk billing, they charge you
(usually around $40, but it can be higher depending on the area you live and
how much the doctor thinks they can get away with) and you can claim back
$36 from the medicare system.

Standard governement subsidised prescriptions cost $28 for those who aren't
on a pension, and $6 for those who are. Drugs that aren't on the subsidy
list, though, cost whatever they cost, and depeindin gon your helath
insurance cover, you can claim 80% of the cost above the $28 up to a certain
limit back from your health insurance. Before the meningicoccal vaccine was
put on the susbsidised list, it cost $135 for each vaccine for Cary, and he
needed three of them to have full immunity (we could claim $80 back for up
to three vaccinations). We paid for the first two, as he as going to daycare
and we couldn't risk it, but by the time he was due for hte third, the
governement subsidy had been approved, and it was only $28.

(there as a big hoo-haa about our government subsidy on pharmeceutical drugs
when the free trade agreement came in with the USA, because the USA
pharmeceiticals don't like the fact that the Aussie governement sets the
price for the drugs, rather than "free market forces". That one issue nearly
prevented the Free trade Agreeement being passed by the Australian
government)

Yowie