Wife sitting in chair

Old December 13th 10, 06:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

Default Wife sitting in chair

On Dec 12, 10:34*pm, "Yowie"
wrote:
Not wanting to enter (or start!) a flamefest, but I would not let my cats
attract attention in physically injurous ways either. Meowing loudly and
getting in my face are annoying enough, I am *not* going to let them think
thats its in any way OK to hurt me or mine on purpose (and fairs fair, if
one of the two-foots hurts either of them accidently we get a swift bite or
nasty scratch for our trouble to let them know that they dont' think being
hurt is acceptable either). Last thing I'd want them to do is hurt Cary once
they realise he's just as capable of operating the kibble box as I am.

Yowie

shrug Different interpretations, I guess. If you're replying to my
post,
I wouldn't call it "phyiscally injurious" in any way, shape or form. I
never
had even a mark on my leg. The key word is "intent". He didn't intend
to "phyiscally injure" me. If he wanted to, believe me, he could have.
The most I'd do is scold him and rake his paw off my leg with my hand.
Same with love bites, or kneading? There's a little discomfort there
for
the owner, but no injury, and no intent to harm.
Would you punish them for that too?
I've had cats for 40 years at least, and have *never* gotten rid of
one
because he was too aggressive. I know where the line is between
a cat asking for a pet, and a cat who's aggressively trying to hurt
me.

Sherry
Old December 13th 10, 07:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

In ,
Sherry typed:
On Dec 12, 10:34 pm, "Yowie"
wrote:
Not wanting to enter (or start!) a flamefest, but I would not let my
cats attract attention in physically injurous ways either. Meowing
loudly and getting in my face are annoying enough, I am *not* going
to let them think thats its in any way OK to hurt me or mine on
purpose (and fairs fair, if one of the two-foots hurts either of
them accidently we get a swift bite or nasty scratch for our trouble
to let them know that they dont' think being hurt is acceptable
either). Last thing I'd want them to do is hurt Cary once they
realise he's just as capable of operating the kibble box as I am.

Yowie

shrug Different interpretations, I guess. If you're replying to my
post,
I wouldn't call it "phyiscally injurious" in any way, shape or form.

Replying 'in general' into the thread. My reply above was not directed at
you in particular.

never
had even a mark on my leg. The key word is "intent". He didn't intend
to "phyiscally injure" me. If he wanted to, believe me, he could have.

I agree 100%.
The most I'd do is scold him and rake his paw off my leg with my hand.
Same with love bites, or kneading? There's a little discomfort there
for
the owner, but no injury, and no intent to harm.
Would you punish them for that too?

*Punish*, no, but if it was physically painful (rather than uncomfortable
but tolerable) I'd not 'just put up with it'. I'd stop it immediately, by
both physically moving kitty and/or body part so as they can no longer
interact, and either hissing, spraying water, yelling or making some other
loud sudden noise as deterrent. I'd also trim those nails good and proper.

Kitty has to learn what degree of clawage the hoomin will tolerate, just as
kitty first had to learn what degree of clawage mama and siblings would
tolerate. I'll cop a scratch and/or bite without question if I have
frightened or accidently hurt the cat because thats instinctive (like how I
swear when I stub my toe) but in play, affection or attention seeking,
serious clawage is Not Allowed[1] and is Firmly Discouraged[2].

I've had cats for 40 years at least, and have *never* gotten rid of
one
because he was too aggressive. I know where the line is between
a cat asking for a pet, and a cat who's aggressively trying to hurt
me.

Oh, totally agreed.

I've had one physically attack me without any provocation as I understood it
(she was feral). I do realise that something must have set her off, but for
the life of me I don't know what it was, and if it was that smaller thing,
then the still-crawling-at-the-time Cary could have easily done that same
small thing too and would not have been able to defend himself in any way
from her blazing ferocity (it wasn't just one scratch, it was an *attack*,
multiple deep scratches, multiple bites). I couldn't risk my boy, so she
was rehomed. I still have a scar over an inch long on my thumb because of
her. I often wonder what happened to her, and wish things turned otu
differently (she was otherwise an affectionate and playful little thing) but
in that instant, she lost all the trust and rapport I had with her, and I
could no longer trust her to be in the same house with my baby boy. Just too
risky.

Yowie

Old December 13th 10, 01:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

Gandalf wrote:
On Mon, 13 Dec 2010 02:23:32 +0000, David Stevenson
wrote:

Nico looks at her. Then, slowly, deliberately, he sticks his claws in
her bare lower leg.

"Owww !!!!"

Nico looks at her. Then, slowly, deliberately, he sticks his claws in
her bare lower leg.

"Owww !!!!"

Nico looks at her. Then, slowly, deliberately, he sticks his claws in
her bare lower leg.

"Owww !!!!" Then she kicks out.

Don't worry, she missed. Nico is quick.

Is there some RATIONAL reason WHY you would let a cat, ANY cat, get away
with this kind of crap?

This is just COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE behavior.

Letting a cat GET AWAY with this kind of behavior, even a SINGLE time,
is INSANITY, pure and simple.

No cat would EVER get away with that, in MY house.

But then, I simply wouldn't HAVE a cat that would INTENTIONALLY INJURE
ME.

Shaking my head in disbelief

What a very strange reaction!

--
Adrian (Owned by Bagheera & Shadow)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart
Old December 13th 10, 01:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
~*LiveLoveLaugh*~[_2_]

"Adrian" wrote in message
om...

wrote:

[...]

------

I agree!! My Blue Point Siamese, Maui, has the typical Siamese behavior.
IOW, he can be a real snot. One of the things he does is swipe at me if I
walk by him. Sometimes he snags whatever I'm wearing, and other times he'll
get skin. I think it's funny!! He certainly doesn't get squirted w/water
or hit!! He's being a CAT for gawd's sake!! In fact, I usually stop what
I'm doing and give him scritches, b/c that's what he wants when he does it
anyway!!

"Hello, mommeeee, pet meeeeee"!!!

·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
Laurie
((¸¸.·´ ..·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸ ·.·

*~*LiveLoveLaugh*~*

All that I am or hope to be, I owe to my angel mother.
~Abraham Lincoln

Old December 13th 10, 02:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

Probably one of those knee jerk reactions. I can't believe anyone would let
that happen that many times and not react. Funny post in the first place
knowing how reactions would, could be. Like Yowie said, that would be like
letting a toddler bite you several times before reacting.
"Adrian" wrote in message
om...

Old December 13th 10, 04:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

No Yowie, that's not what I meant at all, and I've already apologized for
losing my patience. What I *feel* is that Gandalf has, and has expressed
here quite often, unreasonable expectations of what a cat should be, without
allowing that all cats are different. His "violent" reaction to what was,
to me, a non-incident is what I think tipped my scales. What I *fear* is,
because of that, Gandalf will decide that Lorelei is not what he wants or
expects a cat to be and may either "get rid of her" or be take away from her
any signs of his affection.

Again, I apologize for losing my patience and I would really like to leave
it at that.

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

See the RPCA FAQ site, by Mark Edwards, at:
http://www.professional-geek.com/rpcablog/

"Yowie" wrote in message
In ,
CatNipped typed:
wrote:

[...]

And just what would you do to a cat like that, Gandalf?

shaking head in sorrow for poor Lorelei

Lori, are you meaning to imply that Gandalf would or does abuse Lorelei?
because that how what you've written above sounds like to me, and that
seems out of character for you.

Yowie

Old December 13th 10, 09:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

On 14/12/2010 2:10 AM, CatNipped wrote:
No Yowie, that's not what I meant at all, and I've already apologized for
losing my patience. What I *feel* is that Gandalf has, and has expressed
here quite often, unreasonable expectations of what a cat should be, without
allowing that all cats are different. His "violent" reaction to what was,
to me, a non-incident is what I think tipped my scales. What I *fear* is,
because of that, Gandalf will decide that Lorelei is not what he wants or
expects a cat to be and may either "get rid of her" or be take away from her
any signs of his affection.

Again, I apologize for losing my patience and I would really like to leave
it at that.

Well, I didn't think thats what you'd mean, but thats how it sounded,
hence my query.

Consider it left :-)

Yowie
Old December 13th 10, 11:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

Thank you Yowie. I was feeling snappish and shot that off way too quickly,
but neither Gandalf nor the group deserved that. Mea culpa, the doctors
told me to rest and take it easy, so I'm going to try to do just that.

Old December 14th 10, 01:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
David Stevenson

Yowie wrote
Not wanting to enter (or start!) a flamefest, but I would not let my cats
attract attention in physically injurous ways either. Meowing loudly and
getting in my face are annoying enough, I am *not* going to let them think
thats its in any way OK to hurt me or mine on purpose (and fairs fair, if
one of the two-foots hurts either of them accidently we get a swift bite or
nasty scratch for our trouble to let them know that they dont' think being
hurt is acceptable either). Last thing I'd want them to do is hurt Cary once
they realise he's just as capable of operating the kibble box as I am.

What you would do is your affair but when a person writes

"This is just COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE behavior."

about my wife I think that is the most disgusting despicable post I have
ever read here.

I think Gandalf's post was totally unacceptable and a disgrace.

I think it a totally hurtful post, designed to cause offence, and i am
very glad that one or two people have reacted to it.

Horrible, absolutely horrible.

I do not post very often these days and if Gandalf's reaction to my
post is considered reasonable by you, Yowie, I may never post here
again.

--
David Stevenson Storypage: http://blakjak.org/sty_menu.htm
Liverpool, England, UK Emails welcome
Old December 14th 10, 02:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

for my part it was not unreasonable but probably as I said knee jerk
reaction to someone deliberately letting a cat claw them. If you don't like
what someone posts, you don't have to stop, just put them in a kill file and
post away. To each his own.