And here I thought we were through with this...

Old July 23rd 09, 01:57 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc

Default And here I thought we were through with this...

First, Meep hopped into the tub this morning, hopped straight out
shaking wet feet and I laughed... I didn't realize she was trying to
tell me something. When she tried to pee in my "shred box" I got a
clue, checked the litterbox - couple of good pees, but on top, two or
three quarter-sized spots.

DAMN! Another Cystitis attack!

So I stayed home from work to wait until the vet opened up.
Fortunately, it was over almost before it began. By the time I could
call the vet, two hours later, she had stopped trying to pee and was
sleeping in the window.

(There's essentially two kinds of attacks - she used to get the "I
really have to pee but it hurts too much" kind, but this one was the "I
feel like I have to pee even when my bladder's empty" kind. Been
dealing with this long enough I can tell the difference, even though the
litterbox evidence is very similar.)

Talked to the vet staff and decided to wait to bring her in. Talked to
an actual vet later and she agreed with my own assessment: The bag of
Science Diet Hairball Formula (which was given to me) was to blame, and
no Meep didn't need to come in.

So, back to all wet for Meep, this time, with the vet's blessing, I'm
going to try some good-quality kitten food and see if that helps.

For those not familiar with Meep and her issues, she's had cystitis for
around 6 years, but hasn't had an attack now for nearly two. Food
management has been the toughest, because she's what I call an "obligate
CARBivore" and won't eat anything that's just meat. She does not like
wet food as a general rule, and won't even eat dry if it doesn't have
carbs. Which, of course, is pretty much the exact opposite of the diet
she SHOULD be eating. When I fed her straight wet food, she didn't eat
most, and became very thin. I tried adding some dry back into her diet,
she put on about half a pound, and now this. Phooey.

She's All Bettah now though, out on the deck terrorizing the squirrels.
No, not really, but she takes her job of keeping them off our deck
(and thus out of the birdfood and tomatoes) very seriously.

jmc
Old July 23rd 09, 08:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Netmask

jmc wrote:
[...]

Have you tried these products ?

http://www.evopet.com/
Old July 23rd 09, 01:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, Netmask exclaimed (7/23/2009 3:07 AM):
jmc wrote:
[...]

Yea. She hates EVO - won't touch the stuff. Sometimes she'll eat
Instinct.

A vet visit might still be in the works. She's still uncomfortable -
had a little pee last night but was doing the little spots again this
morning. I'll give a chance for the extra glucosamine, the urinary
acidifier, and the Royal Canin S/O (wet bag) to work. Taking her to the
vet can exacerbate the problem, so since she's not really uncomfortable
(she's out guarding the deck right now), I can wait a little while
longer and see if this'll clear up on it's own. Prolly call the vet
again, just to see if there's anything else I could be doing.

jmc
Old July 25th 09, 01:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc

Default Update. Was: And here I thought we were through with this...

Suddenly, without warning, jmc exclaimed (7/22/2009 8:57 PM):
First, Meep hopped into the tub this morning, hopped straight out
shaking wet feet and I laughed... I didn't realize she was trying to
tell me something. When she tried to pee in my "shred box" I got a
clue, checked the litterbox - couple of good pees, but on top, two or
three quarter-sized spots.

DAMN! Another Cystitis attack!

So I stayed home from work to wait until the vet opened up. Fortunately,

Meep went and spent the day at the vet today. Diagnosis: Cystitis and
a UTI. Antibiotics for 14 days! Extra painkillers for three! Meep is
a pretty unhappy kitty. Techs reported she spent a lot of time hissing.
Vet told me someone put a barky dog underneath her, but when they saw
how upset that made her, they moved the dog. Good Vet, thank you!

I feel bad for waiting, though in my defense it seemed like she was
fine, until this morning when there was many more tiny spots, and they
were red. That's when she was whisked off to the vet. The only
available appointment was too late in the day for me to make it (I was
acting boss at work today), so I had to drop her off when they opened
and leave her there the whole day.

She's out on the deck again, so hopefully she'll relax some, she's a bit
more stressed than normal.

Poor Meep.

jmc
Old July 25th 09, 03:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"jmc" wrote
Vet told me someone put a barky dog underneath her, but when they saw how
upset that made her, they moved the dog. Good Vet, thank you!

Um, I don't understand why they would do this in the first place.

Old July 25th 09, 11:57 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, cybercat exclaimed (7/24/2009 10:26 PM):
"jmc" wrote
Vet told me someone put a barky dog underneath her, but when they saw how
upset that made her, they moved the dog. Good Vet, thank you!

Um, I don't understand why they would do this in the first place.

My impression is that they shouldn't have. A new tech, perhaps. Or,
just someone made a mistake. It happens. No harm done.

Meep's gonna hate me for the next two weeks anyway, since I have to dose
her for the next 14 days. At least it's liquid, not pills.

OMG though, I paid $52 for two bottles of Clavamox, and I see it here on
Drsfostersmith.com for aboug $17 per bottle.

Does anyone know if Clavamox requires a prescription? I thought some
antibiotics don't.

jmc