Ticked me Off!

Old January 18th 13, 02:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Ticked me Off!

There's a woman on Dataw who sent this to the island email listserv
yesterday. She'd first emailed about seeing an orange cat hanging
around her house a couple of days ago. Does anyone own it? Later that
day she sent another message, would someone like to adopt this cat?
Then she sent this:

********"This is a beautiful orange ,possible age 2 yrs., neutered male,
not declawed male. It has allowed me to pick him up as well as examine
him, and did not freak out or attempt to run away.

I have attached 2 photos in the hopes that someone recognizes him and
with the cold weather moving in this weekend, I am desperate to find his
home or that someone wants to adopt him. Like I said we already have 3
indoors cats that we rescued.

I will make one more plea soon, and then we will take him to Dr.
[snipped], maybe he can find him a home, or he may have to euthanize
him."********

Good lord, woman! It's not your cat! (It put me in mind of Tweed's
little girl, KFC.)

She doesn't have to let the cat into her house. And what is this "cold
weather" nonsense she's talking about? Oooh, it might get down into the
40's at night this weekend! (At 40F it would be about 4C.) That is NOT
cold! The cat will be fine, just leave it alone. If she feels really
obligated just put out some food and water and a cardboard box with old
towels for a bed. Then leave the cat be.

Having been neutered, and this being an island with only one way on and
off (unless you have a boat), someone here owns (or owned) the cat.
It's entirely possible the owner died. Or maybe the owner doesn't have
a computer, did she ever think of that?

What gives her the right to turn this approximately 2 year old cat over
to a vet who might (sounds like he's willing to) euthanize it?! Same
thing goes with trying to get someone to adopt it. IT'S NOT YOUR CAT!

Naturally I fired off a reply. I was extremely angry when I read the
email. I had to take a few deep breaths (and a glug of wine) just so I
wouldn't cuss her out. Stuff like this irritates me. Two to three days
of seeing a cat hanging around doesn't give her the right to do anything
with it. Grrrrr.

Jill
Old January 19th 13, 04:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLBriggs

On Fri, 18 Jan 2013 09:56:42 -0500, jmcquown wrote:

[...]

Did you tell her? MLB
Old January 19th 13, 12:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 1/18/2013 11:16 PM, mlbriggs wrote:
On Fri, 18 Jan 2013 09:56:42 -0500, jmcquown wrote:

There's a woman on Dataw who sent this to the island email listserv
yesterday. She'd first emailed about seeing an orange cat hanging
around her house a couple of days ago. Does anyone own it? Later that
day she sent another message, would someone like to adopt this cat?
Then she sent this:

(snipped self)

[...]

Oh yes. (I had to phrase it carefully so the Admin wouldn't kick it
back.) I basically asked her why she felt she had to *do* something
with this cat. She made it sound like it was an ASAP situation. She
didn't repy. I haven't seen any further emails it. I don't know what
(if anything) she's done with it.

Jill
Old January 19th 13, 10:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

cats hang around in the neighbourhood and have homes to go to. no-one
should take it upon themselves to send them to RB if it isn't their cat.
Imagine looking for them for weeks which what I did.

When I found out that Kitty had gone out looking for me and the RSPCA got
her, of course I was angry.
But, I would have sent her to the Bridge in a couple of weeks myself.
I loath the rspca.

Ask them for help if you find an injured badger or deer at the side of the
road. Pointless.
We need to remember that they are a charity and and are not "animal police"
although they call their employees "Inspectors"
I once invited a rspca inspector to catch one of my goats that was alleged
by a neighbour to be limping.
He spent 5 hours trying to catch her. I could have helped get her in a
minute or two but chose not to.

Old January 19th 13, 10:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Christina Websell wrote:

I loath the rspca.

Ask them for help if you find an injured badger or deer at the side of the
road. Pointless.
We need to remember that they are a charity and and are not "animal police"
although they call their employees "Inspectors"
I once invited a rspca inspector to catch one of my goats that was alleged
by a neighbour to be limping.
He spent 5 hours trying to catch her. I could have helped get her in a
minute or two but chose not to.

Her leg couldn't have been all that badly injured if it took himn 5 hours
to catch her!

--
Joyce

I've never really addressed those rumors, 'cause I always figured
why defend yourself against something that's not offensive?

-- Johnny Galecki, regarding rumors about him being gay (he's not)
Old January 19th 13, 11:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Bastette" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

I loath the rspca.

Ask them for help if you find an injured badger or deer at the side of
the
road. Pointless.
We need to remember that they are a charity and and are not "animal
police"
although they call their employees "Inspectors"
I once invited a rspca inspector to catch one of my goats that was
alleged
by a neighbour to be limping.
He spent 5 hours trying to catch her. I could have helped get her in
minute or two but chose not to.

Her leg couldn't have been all that badly injured if it took himn 5 hours
to catch her!

Exactly.
And let's not mention when they came when two of my whippet brothers had a
fall out when I was visiting a friend in hospital.

I am sure they do good work but I am not the sort of person they need to be
prosecuting. I take very good care of my animals.

If anyone has the misfortune to be visited by them, (providing you know you
are looking after your animals well) you can tell them to F off. They
have no more right in law to look at your animal than the Salvation Army
does. Or me for that matter.
They are a charity. Not the animal police.
If they proscute they have to do it privately - I could do that.

They have a television advert on atm asking for funds.
I will not be helping them to kill another old confused lady like KFC.

As my friend June says "I would not give the RSPCA the drippings of my
nose."

Tweed

Old January 20th 13, 02:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

I don't know if you saw it Tweed but there's been a stir in the papers recently about the RSPCA putting down rehomeable animals and spending all its time and money on prosecuting cruelty cases, which is a good thing but some of their inspectors have resigned over cases where people weren't so much cruel as ignorant whereas in the past they would have tried to educate. In one case one of the inspectors who resigned visited an old guy who was cuddling his dying cat and didn't know what to do so she persuaded him to let her take the cat to the vet to be pts and was told off for not cautioning him that he could be arrested for animal cruelty. In another case an old lady with loads of cats was raided, made to stand outside in cold weather for hours whilst they rounded up her cats and carted them off and many were pts. The inspector resigned saying there wasn't a lot wrong with the cats apart from a flea infestation and in the past they would have brought round some flea treatments, applied them and told the woman how to prevent and treat flea problems

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs
Old January 21st 13, 07:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

wrote in message
[...]

___

No, I didn't see that. I'm not surprised.
Yes, they can do some good, but they are insensitive in my experience.
They dress themselves in police-like uniforms to make you think they have
powers.
I got Trim from the RSPCA shelter, she was about to be put down by them. So
let's not think they don't.
She was a very difficult girl but we managed until she was 14 and died of
liver cancer.
She would break into cupboards and fridge if she could

She guarded me all her life. If I had a visitor she would pretend to like
them but be up to a bite if I signalled.
I miss her.

Old January 21st 13, 07:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

wrote in message
[...]

I miss her even though she was a dreadful thief and was able to get into
my oven when I had meat cooking and remove it for herself.

She knew how to pull down the oven door and not mind how hot it all was.