eosinophilic granuloma complex, heat and me venting

Old November 19th 03, 04:13 AM
Laura

i'm pretty sure that is what it is, complex. apparently it will cost 300 or
so for test on top of the spay and then medication after that, to see how
sevre it is, doesn't seem that sevre to me but i'm not a vet. i mean
apparently it was fairly bad with puss and blood in her mouth when she went
to get spayed the first time and she was on clavamox for 10 days so that
cleared it up some. she's booked for her spay next friday. my step dad
asked about payments also and they will only accept them if you have a valid
credit card so that if you don't pay they can charge it, which i don't have
and no one that i know of will let me use them other than my sis and she's 3
hours away at school, if she were home she would let me use them though.
"Lauralai" wrote in message
hi
here's the back ground. in july i got a kitten from a house with at least
30 other cats. she was fairly thin when we got her but she put on weight
and was healthy. then i took her to get fixed and was informed that she

had
an infection in her mouth and they put her on clavamox 2 times daily for

10
days and tested for viral infections which came back negative. on

saturday
i brought her back to the vet for a check up and the vet said she had

really
bad gingiviti so i asked what could be done for that and they ran blood
tests on the kedneys, liver. well today i phoned the vet and they said

she
had some complex thing, i'm not sure the name but the white blood cell

count
was high and that something else was high it think it started with an eth
or something like that, i may be wrong anyway what they think she has is
normally seen in cat's skin not there mouth's. they said when they spay
here they would want to do a biopsy on her mouth, i think send a sample to

patholigist and then grow the bacteria or do a swab or something i wasn't
really sure since i was starting to cry. i know this is fairly vague but

was wondering if anyone could tell me what it might be called, i'd call

the
vet again but i'm crying to much since my parent think i should put her

down
since it's going to cost another 400 to fix her and then treatment. i
refuse to put her down though since i have a job, and sure i will only be
able to do a bit at a time i can still treat her. i had to put a cat down

3
years ago because i couldn't afford treatment and i will NOT do that

again.
she's the best cat ever and i wouldn't even had known she was sick if it
weren't for the blood tests.

also i was wondering if it is really that bad if she goes into one heat?

mean she is probably ready to go at anytime now but i don't get paid for
another 2 weeks and that's when i can afford to have all the other stuff
done.
so if anyone can give info that would be great, if not then i'll phone the
vet tomorrow and research, research, research.

i posted on the vet fourm and someone suggested it may be eosinophilic
granuloma complex and i think that's what she has. So i was wondering if
anyone had a cat with it and if so what tests did you run to see if they
acctually had it if any. i would like to do the tests but my parents

don't
want me to spend 1000 on tests, hey they don't want me to spend 400 on
tests. they acctually had the nerve to phone the vet tonight to see what
exactly she has and what the prognosis is and all of that, even though i
have stated that i am not putting her down. and they have stated that

they
don't want me spending much money on her if she's sick, my mom didn't even
really want me to do the blood work. i mean she's acting normal and she's
so young, you wouldn't even know anything was wrong with a her. in fact

the
vet didn't really suggest blood tests until i asked if there was something
that we could do to make sure she was ok for the spay.

Old November 19th 03, 04:27 AM
Cheryl

In ,
Laura composed with style:
i'm pretty sure that is what it is, complex.

My cat Shamrock was "diagnosed" with EGC because he tested negative on
all other causes for his reactions (IOW, ruled out other probably
causes). His sores were not in his mouth, but raised sores on his
torso and the base of his tail. His vet didn't test further because
she said the treatment would be the same for a formal diagnosis of EGC
or an allergic reaction, and opted to treat him with Depo (steroid)
shots. In the beginning it could mean shots every two weeks or so but
they aren't expensive. It could also be combined with AB treatment
(which the other vet wanted to keep doing without steroids) depending
on the severity. My Shamrocks new vet doesn't prescribe ABs with the
steroids but it took subsequent visits within weeks to determine that.
Depending on the vet they might wave office visit fees for follow-ups
but unfortunately mine doesn't. But I like her better than the
previous vet who never even mentioned EGC.

Old November 19th 03, 04:27 AM
Cheryl

In ,
Laura composed with style:

Old November 19th 03, 04:27 AM
Cheryl

In ,
Laura composed with style:

Old November 19th 03, 03:46 PM
Mary

"Laura" wrote in message
i'm pretty sure that is what it is, complex. apparently it will

cost 300 or
so for test on top of the spay and then medication after that, to

see how
sevre it is, doesn't seem that sevre to me but i'm not a vet. i

mean
apparently it was fairly bad with puss and blood in her mouth when

she went
to get spayed the first time and she was on clavamox for 10 days so

that
cleared it up some.

I'm glad it has cleared up a bit. The problem apparently is when the
ulcers get infected they can destroy tissue. I imagine the vet wisely
put off the spay on the chance the infection in your poor kitty's
mouth might travel into her blood stream or somehow carry over into
the surgery site.

300 for tests sounds high, especially since this complex is so easily
recognizable. But the good news is, your new baby will be just fine,
and once you get it under control you will scarcely know there is
anything wrong with her. Bless you for taking care of this sweet
little thing. Let us see some photos of her when you get some! Good
luck with everything.

Old November 19th 03, 03:49 PM
Mary

"Cheryl" wrote in message
In ,
Laura composed with style:
i'm pretty sure that is what it is, complex.

My cat Shamrock was "diagnosed" with EGC because he tested negative

on
all other causes for his reactions (IOW, ruled out other probably
causes). His sores were not in his mouth, but raised sores on his
torso and the base of his tail.

Your poor baby. I am so glad Cheeky doesn't have the sores--though I
imagine she might one day. Hopefully not if I keep up the Depo Medrol,
and i have to for her asthma. It is so weird that they really don't
know what causes this complex--but good that they can treat it. I am
going to work harder to keep allergens out of the house, maybe that
will help.

Old November 19th 03, 03:49 PM
Mary

"Cheryl" wrote in message