shedding and flakes?

Old January 19th 05, 04:21 PM
Helen

Default shedding and flakes?

Hi,

I adopt a four-year old calico cat recently from one of my friend. I
have no experiences of taking care of cats at all. After reading some
FAQ, I still have a couple of questions.

First, everyday I comb her and get a handful fur. Is it normal?

Second, I noticed there are a couple of flakes on her back when I
combing her. what is that? saliva? I didn't see other parts have that
(maybe I can't see other part because the color of other parts are
lighter).

Third, she doesn't scratch things but her nails are quite long (when
she walks on the carpet, I can hear her paws pulling the fibre often).
So should I clip her paws or is it ok never clip her paws at all?

Your all comments are greatly appreciated.

Helen
Old January 19th 05, 05:58 PM
Barb

It's wonderful for your cat that you comb her every day. A few furs coming
off on the comb is okay as long as she has plenty of fur left.

A flake or two is normal. When one of my cats goes to the veterinarian she
gets a lot of flakes due to nervousness.

I would get a cat nail clipper and just carefully clip off the sharp ends of
her nails so they don't get caught in the carpet.

Enjoy your new cat!

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,

Old January 19th 05, 07:27 PM
Ashley

"Helen" wrote in message
m...
Hi,

I adopt a four-year old calico cat recently from one of my friend. I
have no experiences of taking care of cats at all. After reading some
FAQ, I still have a couple of questions.

First, everyday I comb her and get a handful fur. Is it normal?

One of mine sheds enormous amounts. He's a medium haired cat and whenever
he's brushed/combed (about once a week) I easily get a couple of handfuls
off him. The other sheds very lightly and hardly leaves any behind. All cats
are different, but yours sounds quite normal.

Old January 19th 05, 08:03 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-01-19, Helen penned:
Hi,

I adopt a four-year old calico cat recently from one of my friend. I have no
experiences of taking care of cats at all. After reading some FAQ, I still
have a couple of questions.

First, everyday I comb her and get a handful fur. Is it normal?

As long as she's not going bald, yes.

Second, I noticed there are a couple of flakes on her back when I combing
her. what is that? saliva? I didn't see other parts have that (maybe I can't
see other part because the color of other parts are lighter).

Possibly dandruff? I don't know, but if it's just a few I don't think it
sounds like a problem. I also noticed dandruff on Eros, who is black, but I
don't notice it on Oscar, who is grey.

Third, she doesn't scratch things but her nails are quite long (when she
walks on the carpet, I can hear her paws pulling the fibre often). So
should I clip her paws or is it ok never clip her paws at all?

Do you have a scratching post? Even though she doesn't scratch furniture, it
would be good for her to have a place where she's allowed to scratch. You can
encourage her to use it by putting some catnip (I use a spray) on the post,
and by picking her front paws up and puppeteering her into rubbing her paws on
the post. It will also slow her claw growth so that you don't have to clip
her claws as often.

Clipping is considered standard operating procedure for cats, although Oscar
has never needed it. If it makes you nervous, you can take your cat to the
groomer or vet to have it done. Get her used to having her paws handled
before you clip her, and just do a tiny bit. She'll probably appreciate not
getting caught in the rug anymore.

--
monique, roommate of Oscar the (female) grouch
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old January 20th 05, 09:45 PM
CaTails

what diet are you feeding the cat? sometimes a change to a higher
quality diet can do the trick. you can also try supplementing your cat
with fatty acids to help the skin and coat.

one of my cats had dry skin and you could easily see this by running
your hands over her fur opposite its growth. the flakes would be
everywhere. i supplement her with derm caps or you could try lipiderm
or dream coat. it's done the trick so far. i also feed a high quality
all natural diet as well.

Old January 22nd 05, 03:57 PM
Rhonda

Hi there,

Welcome to your new cat! Calicos are so pretty.

Sounds like she might not have been brushed for awhile, or just has a
thick coat. We have a thick-coated cat who we can get enough fur off of
in one sitting to make a blanket, I swear.

Our vet has said that flakes are normally a sign of needing more Omega 3
in the diet. Some foods now add it, or you can try sprinkling some oil
from fish oil capsules onto the current food.

Unfortunately, you will have to trim your cat's nails. Some cats don't
mind too much. I do know people who prefer to have their vet do it.

Good luck with your new girl,

Rhonda