For Those Who Want To Peacefully Discuss Cats

Old February 23rd 04, 05:53 PM
Fan

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 13:55:35 -0000, "mooninpappa"
wrote:

Before you criticise someone,
you should walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, when you do criticise them. You're a mile away, and you have their
shoes. So they cant chase you.

Master. You are wise, indeed.

Old February 23rd 04, 07:08 PM
Cat Protector

Nobody is criticizing. This thread is peaceful and is giving people options.

Cat Galaxy: All Cats, All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

Old February 24th 04, 03:39 PM
fan

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 12:08:07 -0700, "Cat Protector"
wrote:

Nobody is criticizing. This thread is peaceful and is giving people options.

Just to make 100% sure that newbees (sp?) understand why there have
been so many negative replys to the original message...Cat Protector
(CP) has gotten into some heated discussions that might be classified
as flame wars of his own. I, personally, was not aware of that when I
got into a discussion with him. I would have handled the situation
differently if I had known about this at the time.

The fact that he has, and the fact that he failed to disclose that he
owns and runs the catgalaxy web page that he pointed people to, caused
some people to criticize him. That said, I invite people to visit his
site, it's not bad, and I have nothing against what I have seen of his
efforts on the site.

For what it is worth: the fact that CP has gotten into flame wars and
the fact that he owns the Catgalaxy web page, are indeed facts. I
assumed that people are criticizing him for not disclosing the
ownership because severel of them actually mentioned this. Read the
replys and make your own judgement, mine is strictly my opinion.

Old February 24th 04, 05:13 PM
Cat Protector

Oh jeeze! Can't some of you go five minutes without personally turning a
peaceful thread into a flame war? What does it matter who owns what? I
hadn't realized some of you were running for public office.

wrote:

[...]

News==----

Newsgroups

=---

Old February 24th 04, 08:21 PM
fan

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 10:13:01 -0700, "Cat Protector"
wrote:

Oh jeeze! Can't some of you go five minutes without personally turning a
peaceful thread into a flame war? What does it matter who owns what? I
hadn't realized some of you were running for public office.

Since this reply was indented below what I wrote, may I assume the
"some of you" was specifically referring to me, and perhaps some
others? The fact that it was posted immediately after my post, and not
until I posted, further suggests it was directed at me, at least
partly. Because of that, I will reply.

Perhaps you do not think it is necessary to disclose that you have a
financial interest in a product, service, etc that you are
recommending, but the FTC and the SEC, among others, say that it is
manditory in many cases. (Reference your statement "What does it
matter who owns what?") The typical opinion of those in Western
countries also says that this is an obligation, not just an option. I
do not know the opinion in non-Western countries.

What part of my post was inciting a flame war? Since you have just
accused me of doing so (I think), I believe this to be an important
question. The only part of my post that was not 100% fact was VERY
clearly stated as my personal opinion. Also, I do not believe it was
said in either a disrespectful or insulting way. I ask you to provide
direct quotes if you disagree.

FYI, CP, this is exactly how flame wars start. If you had disclosed
your ownership of the site that you were touting, there would have
been no critisism. Once the issue was raised, if you had simply said
something like "I acknowledge that the web site that I recommended is
owned and operated by me and that I should have disclosed that in the
initial post" this would have ended, peacefully.

"Running for public office?" Where did that come from and what does it
mean? I do not understand how you came up with that reference at all.
It sounds like you are trying to start a flame war, now doesn't it?
LOL

One example of a reply that you could have posted instead of this one
is "I did not think that the fact that I own the web site was critical
to disclose. I simply wanted to inform those who didn't know about it,
that it was a place to go where all are treated with respect and
dignity." That would have made your point and not been provocative, as
your actual reply was. You could have made your point without being
disrespectful. Perhaps that is what "peaceful" is all about, huh?

In my post, I stated that you have a good web site. Perhaps the fact
that I was supporting the site escaped your attention. In my original
post, I tried to be as respectful as possible because you and I have a
history of disagreement. I was trying to explain the situation to
newbees by being as factual as one could be.

Discussing differences by stating facts as facts and opinions as
opinions without disrespect are part of a good discussion.
Interjecting personal insults, stating opinions as facts, repeatedly
failing to answer direct questions, changing the subject, and bringing
up issues that are only designed to stir people up are characteristics
of a bad discussion and/or a flame war.