My cat keeps missing the box, but there's more...

Old April 28th 06, 01:10 AM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default My cat keeps missing the box, but there's more...

"Phil P." wrote in message

Yup.

http://maxshouse.com/Environmental_E...rmaid-high.jpg

This is the one I have, and he pee's right out the entry cutout.

Old April 28th 06, 01:13 AM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Phil P." wrote in message

"0to60" wrote in message

It all started around a year ago. My cat likes to pee in the corner of
the box, and every once in a while he'd cut it so close that the stream
would go clear over the side of the box and onto the floor. Then, he
just started GOING on the floor. I've tried different things to stop
this, new litterbox, new litter, new location, combinations of the
above, but to no avail. Sometimes it'll work for a few days, but
eventually he misses the box and then reverts to his
outside-the-box-eliminator ways.

It seems like this is a fairly common problem. Is there any known
solution?

Yup.

http://maxshouse.com/Environmental_E...rmaid-high.jpg
http://maxshouse.com/Environmental_E..._box-dog-2.jpg

Wow, Phil! Those are some great pics! Seems a shame that they should only be
used by dirty, filthy cats to **** into, doesn't it? They'd make great bread
boxes, or something. Especially if you fitted them with lids, and all that.
Amongst other uses, I'd bet. Oh yes. You seem like an interesting guy! What
about you and me, some night, getting together for a spot of cat-killing?

Old April 28th 06, 01:32 AM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"0to60" wrote in message

"Phil P." wrote in message

Yup.

http://maxshouse.com/Environmental_E...rmaid-high.jpg

This is the one I have, and he pee's right out the entry cutout.

****ing hell! He does? Jesus. As Syd Barrett once said "That cat's something
I can't explain"!

This situation of yours is getting worse. I think it's time to get down to
the nitty gritty. **** all that electrocution ****. What you SHOULD do is
this : Collect a fortnight's worth of your OWN urine, and keep it in one of
those pressurised beer-barrels; the kind you can fit a small carbon-dioxide
cylinder to. Pump some gas in till the pressure's high, then wait for your
disgusting cat to do its business. Then, hiding behind the barrel, wait till
the cat "pee's right out the entry cutout" and *immediately* turn the barrel
tap on, drenching the unfortunate animal in your 2-week-old, stale urine. Do
this several times till it learns, the dirty little ****er.

Old April 28th 06, 03:53 AM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"0to60" wrote in message
. ..

"Phil P." wrote in message

Yup.

http://maxshouse.com/Environmental_E...rmaid-high.jpg

This is the one I have, and he pee's right out the entry cutout.

These would be the next step:

http://maxshouse.com/misc/mixing_tubs.jpg

Old May 2nd 06, 02:36 AM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default More info...

So I bought a large cage and put the litterbox, food, water, a blanket and
the little miscreant into it. Now, I don't have the heart to leave him in
there full time, but I do put him in the cage when I'm not around and at
night. He NEVER has a problem when he's living in the cage. He
demonstrates 100% accuracy. But, then I let him out of the cage and leave
the door to the cage open and he roams the house freely. When its time to
pee, he enters the cage, steps into the box and promptly pees right over the
side of the box and onto the cage floor-liner.

What the hell, mel? Why is he doing this? He CLEARLY has the ability to
aim correctly when he's gonna live in the box. But if he's walking around,
he misses by a mile. I don't get it!!!!

One more piece of information: when he's locked in the cage, he won't lay on
the blanket I give him! He sits in the litterbox. That's right, he sits in
the litterbox, opposite his perfectly-placed pee clump. Now, if this
problem were the other way around (when he stays in the cage, he lays in the
'box and thus pees outside the box), I could understand it. But this makes
no sense. When he stays in the cage, he prefers to lounge in the box (which
isn't so strange, I see caged cats in shelters doing this all the time) but
he pees in it 100% accurately and never misses a drop.

Please help.

Old May 2nd 06, 05:47 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"0to60" wrote in message

[...]

Oto - this is really getting serious. First of all, be aware that we - all
your friends in alt.pets.cats - are behind you in this 100%. We will get
through this terrible situation TOGETHER.

The rest of us have been communicating by email and REALLY getting to grips
with the situation, and after MANY days of careful deliberations we have
come to a conclusion that will, hopefully, be beneficial to all relevant
parties, including the leaking feline in question.

The only thing to do is to have the cat put down.

This would
(a) put it out of its misery
(b) put YOU out of your misery
(c) put US out of our misery

And then just buy a new cat. By training it from kittenhood how to urinate
properly - by careful application of horrific beatings, electrocution, and
whipping - it should end up giving you (and us) no grief.

Old May 2nd 06, 07:32 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Did you buy a high sided litterbox with a lid? There's no way he can pee
over the top of those.

If he's peeing out the entrance, then cut some strips of plastic and hang
them vertically over the entrance like you see with some cat/dog doors.

Dave

. ..

Old May 3rd 06, 04:16 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

If you every wander through a cat kennel or visit PetSmart or one of the
other pet stores when they have adoptable cats on display, the cats are in a
cage and many of them are lying in their litterbox. I've been told it is
something that makes a cat placed in an unfamiliar, insecure setting feel
more secure. Whenever I boarded my cat, I was told she spent the first few
days in her litter box.
Have you experimented with your litter box? When my cat got older and
arthritic, it was difficult for her to squat down and so she peed over the
side of the litter box. I bought a box with taller sides but a front she
could still step over easily. Don't assume that litter box problems are
always behavioral. Have you taken him to a vet for evaluation?