Have a look at these birds OT

Old March 11th 11, 05:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default Have a look at these birds OT

"William Hamblen" wrote in message

Someone had the bright idea of bringing to the US every bird mentioned in
Shakespeare and introduced the sparrow. They've spread everywhere
since and are considered great nuisances. They've driven out the native
Purple Martin by taking over nesting holes.

Bud

Someone from the US also had the great idea to give us the grey squirrel
which is a perfect nuisance to me. It gnaws into all my bird nestboxes to
get the eggs or babies unless I protect it with metal. It empties all my
bird feeders of expensive seed/sunflower heart mix in two days and can eat a
fat ball in another feeder in a day despite anti-squirrel measures in the
form of guards (guaranteed squirrel proof.)
Hah.
So don't moan too much sparrows, Bud.
Tweed

Old March 11th 11, 05:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Takayuki" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote:
It's starlings preparing to roost

http://www.zie.nl/video/opmerkelijk/...t/m1gz0fwf7ru0

When I saw the subject and author, I thought there was going to be a
link to some type of bird themed video game.

Which proves you do not know me at all :-(
Tweed

Old March 11th 11, 05:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

It's starlings preparing to roost

http://www.zie.nl/video/opmerkelijk/...t/m1gz0fwf7ru0

Finally got a chance to watch this. Wow! That's amazing. It's a sky
ballet! It must be incredible to be right under it. What does it *sound*
like?

I don't know, I've never been lucky enough to see them do it myself.
It's on my wish list for one of the most wonderful things I did not see.

Tweed

Old March 11th 11, 09:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Mishi[_2_]

"William wrote in message

Someone had the bright idea of bringing to the US every bird mentioned in
Shakespeare and introduced the sparrow. They've spread everywhere
since and are considered great nuisances. They've driven out the native
Purple Martin by taking over nesting holes.

Bud

Someone from the US also had the great idea to give us the grey squirrel
which is a perfect nuisance to me. It gnaws into all my bird nestboxes to
get the eggs or babies unless I protect it with metal. It empties all my
bird feeders of expensive seed/sunflower heart mix in two days and can eat a
fat ball in another feeder in a day despite anti-squirrel measures in the
form of guards (guaranteed squirrel proof.)
Hah.
So don't moan too much sparrows, Bud.
Tweed

Hi Tweed,

I used to have gray squirrels that raided my suet and bird feeders, now
I have white tailed deer that can clean a feeder out in a very short
time. We bring the feeder in at night now. I used to put hot
pepper/chili powder in the seeds and also sprinkled it on the suet -
birds don't mind it, but the squirrels... G They though it was great,
until the burn started. I saw them running up the tree, rubbing their
faces on the branches, trying to get rid of the sting. It only took a
couple of tries for them to realize that the seed and suet were spiked.
I did put some untreated feed on the ground for them.

I might try the chili powder on the deer - wonder if it would work. Hummmm.

Mishi
Old March 12th 11, 06:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

hopitus wrote:

Just curious: which language do you speak badly? I'm thinking that Spanish
is your other fluent language.

I speak French mostly as LA Cajuns do (the ones who live where BP oil
spill
kinda messed up their living i.e. seafood) and that is way off of
France French.
I comprehend French French but they can't understand me. Do much
better
with Canucks from Canada (original ome of Cajuns).

Yep. The Acadians.

Joyce

--
The Internet is on computers now! -- Homer Simpson
Old March 12th 11, 09:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"hopitus" wrote in message

big effen deal.

__
We might fall out.

Old March 18th 11, 11:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

MLB wrote:

Jack Campin wrote:
http://www.zie.nl/video/opmerkelijk/...t/m1gz0fwf7ru0

Starling flocks at Gretna (on the border of Scotland and England) were
in the news today. Here's a video of them near Oxford:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XH-groCeKbE

Anybody else here read Stanislaw Lem's SF novel "The Invincible"? These
birds seem to be auditioning for the movie.

That must be the video Tweed tried to send a couple of weeks ago --
simply unbelievable. Thanks for posting. MLB

I thought Tweed's video came from the Netherlands. Maybe they're doing
this all over the place, in preparation for the world takeover. And we
thought it was going to be cats.

Joyce

--
The Internet is on computers now! -- Homer Simpson
Old March 19th 11, 12:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sjouke Burry[_2_]

wrote:
MLB wrote:

Jack Campin wrote:
http://www.zie.nl/video/opmerkelijk/...t/m1gz0fwf7ru0

Starling flocks at Gretna (on the border of Scotland and England) were
in the news today. Here's a video of them near Oxford:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XH-groCeKbE

Anybody else here read Stanislaw Lem's SF novel "The Invincible"? These
birds seem to be auditioning for the movie.

That must be the video Tweed tried to send a couple of weeks ago --
simply unbelievable. Thanks for posting. MLB

I thought Tweed's video came from the Netherlands. Maybe they're doing
this all over the place, in preparation for the world takeover. And we
thought it was going to be cats.

Joyce

We had the video on local tv(tv utrecht), Netherlands.
With a nice lady reporter commenting.
She was complaining about being hit in the face by a surprise
white blob......
The area she was visiting was plastered with dung.
I also saw a message about the same phenomena in England.
Most of those birds were on the way to Scandinavia.
Old March 19th 11, 02:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_3_]

Here's a video I captured on my camera a couple of years ago of the
migrating birds here. A lot of the sound you hear is of cars, but
there's an incredible amount of screeching from the birds, and while you
can't hear the WHOOOOOOOOOOOOSH I mentioned, you can probably imagine it
from this close distance. I ended the video when the birds started
flying in my direction because I had to get undercover. lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UGux_ai1Lg

birds chirping? yepp Cat anecdotes 2 April 5th 08 12:27 PM
birds. WAWELDRAGON Cat health & behaviour 4 July 12th 07 09:41 PM
birds. WAWELDRAGON Cat health & behaviour 2 July 12th 07 02:11 PM
BIRDS, BIRDS, BIRDS! Renee Darvin Cat anecdotes 16 April 20th 04 04:34 AM