Totally OT

Old June 16th 13, 01:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default Totally OT

I got my bus pass yesterday as an officially old person. Free travel all
over England on local buses.
The weather was too bad to use it yesterday but I went into my local town
this morning for zero cost.
It feels kind of illegal ;-)

It was brilliant and I wandered around for 4 hours looking at all the shops
but I had to come home after that as my pinned & plated ankle isn't used to
it.
Next week I am going to get on a bus, swap to another and see where I end
up.
I might be out all the time now.

Tweed

Old June 16th 13, 01:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

I got my bus pass yesterday as an officially old person. Free travel all
over England on local buses.
The weather was too bad to use it yesterday but I went into my local town
this morning for zero cost.
It feels kind of illegal ;-)

It was brilliant and I wandered around for 4 hours looking at all the shops
but I had to come home after that as my pinned & plated ankle isn't used to
it.
Next week I am going to get on a bus, swap to another and see where I end
up.
I might be out all the time now.

Tweed

Sounds marvelous to me! Try not to over-do with that ankle, but enjoy
your new FREEdom

Jill

Old June 16th 13, 02:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"jmcquown" wrote in message
I got my bus pass yesterday as an officially old person. Free travel all
over England on local buses.
The weather was too bad to use it yesterday but I went into my local town
this morning for zero cost.
It feels kind of illegal ;-)

It was brilliant and I wandered around for 4 hours looking at all the
shops
but I had to come home after that as my pinned & plated ankle isn't used
it.
Next week I am going to get on a bus, swap to another and see where I end
up.
I might be out all the time now.

Tweed

Sounds marvelous to me! Try not to over-do with that ankle, but enjoy
your new FREEdom

l've been living on savings for 2 and half years and my pension will kick in
on 12 July.
It will be amazing, enough to live on.

Old June 16th 13, 03:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_3_]

I got my bus pass yesterday as an officially old person. Free travel all
over England on local buses.
The weather was too bad to use it yesterday but I went into my local town
this morning for zero cost.
It feels kind of illegal ;-)

It was brilliant and I wandered around for 4 hours looking at all the shops
but I had to come home after that as my pinned & plated ankle isn't used to
it.
Next week I am going to get on a bus, swap to another and see where I end
up.
I might be out all the time now.

Tweed

I can sure understand the pain bringing you home before you probably
wanted to! I went to a play last weekend, it was outdoors, pavilion
style seating and the walk to and from the car was just a bit much for
me. Not to mention the potty breaks.

--
CAPSLOCK–Preventing Login Since 1980.
Old June 16th 13, 03:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Cheryl" wrote in message
eb.com...

[...]

I never need potty breaks, luckily, my bladder is nearly as good as Boyfie's
is.
He is able to go 24 hours if pushed when there is snow. I can do 12,
providing I don't drink too much tea.
I love tea, the minute I get up I put the kettle on for tea.

--
CAPSLOCK–Preventing Login Since 1980.

Old June 16th 13, 04:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"The Other Guy" wrote in message
On Sun, 16 Jun 2013 01:20:59 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

I got my bus pass yesterday as an officially old person. Free travel all
over England on local buses.

NO such thing here in California, OR even just in San Diego.

But an unlimited monthly bus pass that includes the trolley,
but not the commuter trains (local routes, but not express),
costs $18, vs $72 regular.

The one that includes express and commuter trains runs $25.

Sorry about that but as I paid in for 40 years I have earned my bus pass.

To reply by email, lose the Ks...

Old June 16th 13, 04:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

wrote:

I got my bus pass yesterday as an officially old person. Free travel all
over England on local buses.

NO such thing here in California, OR even just in San Diego.

But an unlimited monthly bus pass that includes the trolley,
but not the commuter trains (local routes, but not express),
costs $18, vs $72 regular.

The one that includes express and commuter trains runs $25.

There's no such thing where I live in South Carolina, either. No mass
transit of any sort. No buses. You can barely find a taxi that will
come this far and you'll pay a pretty penny for one if needed. I don't
really know what will happen if it gets the the point I can't drive.

Jill
Old June 16th 13, 07:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

wrote:

I got my bus pass yesterday as an officially old person. Free travel
all
over England on local buses.

NO such thing here in California, OR even just in San Diego.

But an unlimited monthly bus pass that includes the trolley,
but not the commuter trains (local routes, but not express),
costs $18, vs $72 regular.

The one that includes express and commuter trains runs $25.

There's no such thing where I live in South Carolina, either. No mass
transit of any sort. No buses. You can barely find a taxi that will come
this far and you'll pay a pretty penny for one if needed. I don't really
know what will happen if it gets the the point I can't drive.

Jill

We have one bus, but it doesn't come within several blocks of my house, and
it doesn't stop near most of the places I want to go. We also have Dial a
Ride for seniors or disabled people, but from what I understand, they try to
get there within an hour of the time you request them. That makes it pretty
useless for going to church or attending meetings. I'm like you; I don't
know what I'll do when I reach the point I can't drive.

Joy

Old June 16th 13, 08:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

wrote:

I got my bus pass yesterday as an officially old person. Free travel all
over England on local buses.

NO such thing here in California, OR even just in San Diego.

But an unlimited monthly bus pass that includes the trolley,
but not the commuter trains (local routes, but not express),
costs $18, vs $72 regular.

The one that includes express and commuter trains runs $25.

There's no such thing where I live in South Carolina, either. No mass
transit of any sort. No buses. You can barely find a taxi that will
come this far and you'll pay a pretty penny for one if needed. I don't
really know what will happen if it gets the the point I can't drive.

Jill

~~~~~~
We do have bus transportation where I live, but I'm not aware of anything
like Tweed described. I have never used the bus, but fees are reasonable
(but definitely not as reasonable as *free*). It costs $1.75 for the
general public, 75 cents for seniors (65 and over) and those with
disabilities or Medicare or Medicaid cards. Children under 6 ride free.

On a related topic: Seniors (I'm not sure if that is over 60 or 65) can
attend the local university free as long as there is space available in the
classes they want.

MaryL

Old June 17th 13, 11:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin

I got my bus pass yesterday as an officially old person. Free travel
all over England on local buses.

In Scotland we get it younger, I think (60 here; I believe it's 65
in England) and it covers all types of buses, including the long
distance ones. I use my bus pass almost every day to get in to
Edinburgh, and I've used it to get as far as Carlisle (the deal is
you can use it to get you as far as towns just over the border in
England).

It's a bit annoying that there's no transferability at all in either
direction between England and Scotland. Once I've got to Carlisle
or Berwick it's full price for any trips further on, and an English
tourist can't use their pass on Edinburgh city buses.