how to get a stool sample?

Old October 19th 06, 01:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
kitkat via CatKB.com

Default how to get a stool sample?

My cat has stinky poop. the vet told me this week to get a stool sample to
get for parasites and bring it in - I didn't get any further instruction. so
how does this work? here's my plan:

wait until my stinky little stewie poops then scoop it up ant put in a
ziplock. Can I put it in the fridge (ewww) until I can drop it off tomorrow?
will that make it unusable?

Old October 19th 06, 01:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
mlbriggs

On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 17:27:10 -0700, Buddy's Mom wrote:

That is what I would do.

kitkat via CatKB.com wrote:
My cat has stinky poop. the vet told me this week to get a stool sample to
get for parasites and bring it in - I didn't get any further instruction. so
how does this work? here's my plan:

wait until my stinky little stewie poops then scoop it up ant put in a
ziplock. Can I put it in the fridge (ewww) until I can drop it off tomorrow?
will that make it unusable?

IMHO I'd put the ziplock in an old glass jar with a very tight lid
also.MLB

Old October 19th 06, 02:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

news

kitkat via CatKB.com wrote:
My cat has stinky poop. the vet told me this week to get a stool sample
get for parasites and bring it in - I didn't get any further
instruction. so
how does this work? here's my plan:

wait until my stinky little stewie poops then scoop it up ant put in a
ziplock. Can I put it in the fridge (ewww) until I can drop it off
tomorrow?
will that make it unusable?

IMHO I'd put the ziplock in an old glass jar with a very tight lid
also.MLB

I think that would be best (or just put the ziplock bag in your garage, if
you have one). Best of all is if you can get a "fresh" sample. My vet was
not able to use a sample that I took in several years ago because it had
been in the litter too long and had dried out. He wanted as "recent" a
sample as possible.

MaryL

Old October 19th 06, 11:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

"kitkat via CatKB.com" u26561@uwe wrote in message
My cat has stinky poop. the vet told me this week to get a stool sample

get for parasites and bring it in - I didn't get any further instruction.

so
how does this work? here's my plan:

wait until my stinky little stewie poops then scoop it up ant put in a
ziplock. Can I put it in the fridge (ewww) until I can drop it off

tomorrow?
will that make it unusable?

Get a sample tonight. Turn a Ziplock bag inside out and use it as glove to
pick up some poop. Then turn the bag inside out again so its in its normal
position with the poop inside. Put the bag in the refrigerator- not the
freezer- until tomorrow. If you refrigerate it, poop stays good enough for
a fecal exam for about 24 hours. If you can't get a fresh sample before you
leave for the vet, use the sample in the fridge.

Phil