Religious door to door callers are dense....

Old February 17th 07, 09:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

Default Religious door to door callers are dense....

"Enfilade" wrote in message
oups.com...

To say I wasn't polite to the JW's was a bit of an understatement. I
think I might have gone a bit over board when I called them illiterate
morons though. ;o)

One of the nice things about being a witch is that if you tell JWs
that, they don't come back.

Saying that you are Catholic has the same effect. In my particular case, I
mean 'catholic' with a small 'c', but that difference isn't enunciated :-).

(Joel and Cary are - officially at least - Catholic with a big C)

Yowie

Old February 17th 07, 09:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Mark Edwards

[snip intrusive JWs]

No cluons were harmed when wafflycat wrote:
My offspring, in his subtle manner keeps muttering about
going to one of their meetings dressed in a Flying
Spaghetti Monster outfit and handing out some of these...

http://www.venganza.org/images/sprea...k_brochure.pdf

and these...

http://www.venganza.org/materials/flyers/

I like his style ;-)

There is also The Church of Absolute Zero (sorry, no url handy - I'm at a
Chinese restaurant at the moment), which "brochure" starts out with "Is
Nothing sacred?"

Hugs and Purrs,
Mark
--
Proof of Sanity Forged Upon Request

Old February 17th 07, 09:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ketzl's Dad

On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 16:25:05 -0500, Sherry wrote:

I got into a very heated exchange with somebody collecting
donations for breast cancer research. She was just flat rude. I don't
care how worthwhile the cause is, you can't give money to every
organization that calls.

Whenever anyone headed toward Rude Territory, I would press a button on my
phone's dial pad and say, "Ok, I need to record this conversation, to be sure
of the facts after we hang up. Let's start with you identifying yourself by
name, first name only if you prefer, and the name of the organization you
represent."

They usually calmed down after that.

But hey, don't you have your phone numbers registered with Do Not Call (at
least in the US)? I never get those calls anymore.

--
Joey DoWop Dee
Remember: It is To Laugh

Old February 17th 07, 09:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Mark Edwards

[snips]

No cluons were harmed when Yowie wrote:
(Joel and Cary are - officially at least - Catholic with a big C)

And we can assume that Schmog and Fluffy are Hedonists? (Big grin).

Hugs and Purrs,
Mark
--
Proof of Sanity Forged Upon Request

Old February 17th 07, 09:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ketzl's Dad

On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 16:46:54 -0500, Mark Edwards wrote:

[snip intrusive JWs]

No cluons were harmed when wafflycat wrote:
My offspring, in his subtle manner keeps muttering about
going to one of their meetings dressed in a Flying
Spaghetti Monster outfit and handing out some of these...

http://www.venganza.org/images/sprea...k_brochure.pdf

and these...

http://www.venganza.org/materials/flyers/

I like his style ;-)

There is also The Church of Absolute Zero (sorry, no url handy - I'm at a
Chinese restaurant at the moment), which "brochure" starts out with "Is
Nothing sacred?"

Hugs and Purrs,
Mark

Spare ribs, please.

--
Joey DoWop Dee
Remember: It is To Laugh

Old February 17th 07, 09:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ketzl's Dad

On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 16:39:26 -0500, Yowie wrote:

I do have to defend some individual JW's though. An elderly gentleman
knocked on my door at about 8am on a Saturday morning, and I answered the
door with the mother of all flus. He took one look at me and said "Are you
alright? Can I call someone? Is there anything I can do?" After I grunted
"no", he apologised for disturbing me and said "I hope you feel better soon.
I'll pray for you", and went on his way.

That incident made me realise that my assumptions about *all* JWs was wrong.

Yowie

You softie! Amateur! Don't you see: He just didn't want your cooties.
He'll be ba-ack! :-)

--
Joey DoWop Dee
Remember: It is To Laugh

Old February 17th 07, 10:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Helen Miles wrote:

To say I wasn't polite to the JW's was a bit of an understatement. I
think I might have gone a bit over board when I called them illiterate
morons though. ;o)

Well, if they can't read your sign, they probably ARE
illiterate morons! I strongly object to anyone "peddling"
their religion door-to-door, and make no bones about simply
saying "not interested" and closing the door in their faces.
(To me, religion is a deeply personal matter, which I do
not choose to discuss with some idiot who invades my privacy
to do so, uninvited.)

Where I live now, my door opens directly to the outdoors,
Melisande is an accomplished escape artist, and while I was
dealing with an importunate magazine salesman (seeking to
win a prize trip from Arizona to London) she slipped out and
spent a very cold night outside! I didn't think there was
enough room for the cats to get out, with the chain on the
door, but she obviously managed it, and I didn't notice
until she didn't come running at suppertime (at which point
she was nowhere in sight and ignored my calling her).

I am equally rude when I am ill-advised enough to answer my
telephone without waiting for the machine to screen the
call! I have both my regular phone and my cell-phone
registered on the National Do Not Call List, but there are
so many exemptions to that: If you've bought something from
a company by telephone or over the internet, they are free
to call you. If you are registered to vote, the political
party of your choice can call you as often as they like.
Charitable organizations have no restrictions placed upon
them - whether or not you have ever been a donor, they can
still call you.
Old February 17th 07, 10:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Adrian A wrote:

Helen Miles wrote:
snip

To say I wasn't polite to the JW's was a bit of an understatement. I
think I might have gone a bit over board when I called them illiterate
morons though. ;o)

Helen M (who is very relieved that Miss Lily Whiskers is fine)

It sounds to me like you showed great restraint, if Miss Lily Whiskers had
been hurt I'm sure you wouldn't think you might have gone a bit over board.

IMO, in that case she'd have been justified in throwing THEM
in front of a passing car!
Old February 17th 07, 10:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Enfilade wrote:

To say I wasn't polite to the JW's was a bit of an understatement. I
think I might have gone a bit over board when I called them illiterate
morons though. ;o)

One of the nice things about being a witch is that if you tell JWs
that, they don't come back.

Really? I should have thought that would be even MORE
incentive to try to convert you!

--Fil

Old February 17th 07, 10:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Magic Mood Jeep© wrote:

Here, if you have signs posted (be it a business or a home) that state "No
Solicitation" (that means no salespeople, charity fund collections or
religious recruiters), and they don't leave when asked, they can be
arrested - or escorted off the premised by police at any rate.

I get the impression that some of them think "solicitation"
only means prostitution! ;-)