Religious door to door callers are dense....

Old February 18th 07, 02:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Baha via CatKB.com

Default Religious door to door callers are dense....

Louie knew I was an ex-Mormon before we were married, but knew nothing of how
they go about proselytising or other such things, so one day he flipped his
turban when a couple LDS missionaries came and introduced themselves as my
"home teachers." Louie came running in saying the Mormons were demanding to
move in and get room and board like British soldiers before the Revolution! I
had a hard time explaining that I was still considered a member, my name was
still on the rolls for some reason, and all "home teacher" meant was a male
member assigned another member for monthly instruction.

They stopped coming around after they came and saw the both us us wearing our
kirpans (the ceremonial daggers required of devout Sikhs.)

Blessed be,
Baha

Pat wrote:
| My parents own a farm, in very rural Missouri, they live on a road that is
| gravel, to get to this road you take a blacktop for a few miles, their
[quoted text clipped - 7 lines]
| a month ago... I say why... Daddy says that doesn't matter but I am sure
| they won't be back, Lee

This story reminds me of what my buddy David and I did to some Mormon
missionaries in Flagstaff. We were visiting a friend and had parked near his
house and when we left headed toward the car - my minivan - we saw them
headed down the block toward us. So we got into the back of the van, opened
the screened back windows, pulled the curtains, and started making noise and
jumping around to make the van shake, rattle and roll as they walked by!

Old February 18th 07, 04:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jane

On Feb 17, 7:12 am, "Helen Miles" wrote:
This is a minor rant, so bear with me...

JW's are quite possibly THE most annoying people on the planet. I have a
BIG sign on my front door that says

*snip*

To say I wasn't polite to the JW's was a bit of an understatement. I
think I might have gone a bit over board when I called them illiterate
morons though. ;o)

Helen M (who is very relieved that Miss Lily Whiskers is fine)

Did you at least knock them over on your way out the door to rescue
Miss Lily??

I'm sorry, I'm a born-again Christian myself, and they still drive me
crazy. Fortunately I haven't had much problems with them in the
past.

Jane
- owned and operated by Princess Rita

Old February 18th 07, 04:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

wafflycat wrote:

In my neck of the woods, we get periodic leaflets through the door from
a group that's set up locally and are the local creationist/ID nuts. My
offspring, in his subtle manner keeps muttering about going to one of
their meetings dressed in a Flying Spaghetti Monster outfit and handing
out some of these...

http://www.venganza.org/images/sprea...k_brochure.pdf

and these...

http://www.venganza.org/materials/flyers/

I like his style ;-)

ROFL ROFL ROFL!

Pics at http://s120.photobucket.com/albums/o185/frankiennikki/
http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/frankiennikki/
http://community.webshots.com/user/frankiennikki
Old February 18th 07, 09:57 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
wafflycat

"Jo Firey" wrote in message
. net...

Oh, the few I know personally are very nice people. I have no problem
with them or their beliefs. And they usually go away if you ask them to.
Its the ones who don't I have a big problem with.

Jo

Aye. I know many a lovely, kind, open, honest, caring religious person of
differing faiths. But they don't seek to ram their faith down my throat at
any and every opportunity. The advertise their faith by quietly getting on
and living their lives as demonstrations of their faith and by being kind to
others, not by stuffing my hands full of leaflets and shouting in the
streets or by saying that unless I believe their way, I'm going to roast in
hellfire for all eternity. Their lives are their advert, and good ones at
that.

On the other hand, I have huge dislike of those who are evangelical and
*insist* on telling me how much they want to save me and how I must 'open my
life to [insert name of deity of choice]' and unless I do, I'm a bad person
who is damned etc., etc.

Old February 18th 07, 10:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Helen Miles

"Jane" wrote in message
oups.com

I'm sorry, I'm a born-again Christian myself, and they still drive me
crazy. Fortunately I haven't had much problems with them in the
past.

Jane
- owned and operated by Princess Rita///

I have numerous friends with strong religious beliefs, from Judasim to
Born again Christianity. The difference between them and JW's/Mormons,
is that they respect the fact that I have my own set of spiritual
beliefs and don't try to convert me in the same way that the majority of
Christians, yourself included wouldn't. What I object to is people
invading my privacy at home to try and convert me. Being welcomed into a
church is one thing. Having it shoved down your throat is another.

Helen M

Old February 18th 07, 10:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Helen Miles

"Jack Campin - bogus address" wrote in message

People like to believe this, but they have always had a policy that
they will not call on people who don't want them to.

Have you tried simply saying "don't visit me, please"?////

Yes, and to be fair, the same ones never come twice. I'm usually very
polite, but this time Lily was in danger because of their visit, and the
time I threw icecream over them it was they day that my brother had been
in a firefight in Afghanistan, 2 marines were killed in his patrol and I
hadn't heard whether he was alive or not. I didn't appreciate a
moralistic rant of why God thought the Afghanistan war was a bad thing.

Usually they just bugger off when I tell them politely I'm not
interested.

I have no time for their belief system, but their adherents are as
friendly and sincere a bunch of people as I've ever met.

(You may be confusing them with the Mormons, who are a bunch of
fascist psycho thugs).

Mormons are a whole different breed. And very scary because of their
level of brainwashing within the organisation.

Helen M

Old February 18th 07, 01:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
H. Adam Stevens

Just come to the door looking like this:
http://www.fstdt.com/funnyimages/uploads/470.jpg

Magic Mood Jeep© wrote:

Here, if you have signs posted (be it a business or a home) that state
"No Solicitation" (that means no salespeople, charity fund collections or
religious recruiters), and they don't leave when asked, they can be
arrested - or escorted off the premised by police at any rate.

I get the impression that some of them think "solicitation" only means
prostitution! ;-)

Old February 18th 07, 03:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Smokie Darling (Annie)

On Feb 17, 7:42 am, "Enfilade" wrote:
To say I wasn't polite to the JW's was a bit of an understatement. I
think I might have gone a bit over board when I called them illiterate
morons though. ;o)

One of the nice things about being a witch is that if you tell JWs
that, they don't come back.

--Fil

Lucky you. We've tried LDS (Mormon), Satanic, Non-Believer (Atheist/
Agnostic), etc... They seem to think it's a challenge here.

Helen, glad to hear that Miss Lily was alright, if spooked.

Old February 18th 07, 10:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
polonca12000

Helen Miles wrote:

This is a minor rant, so bear with me...

JW's are quite possibly THE most annoying people on the planet. I have a
BIG sign on my front door that says

"No salespeople, NO religious callers, NO political canvasing. Official
callers must have ID."

To me, that is perfectly clear. I don't like to be disturbed by people I
am not expecting as it disrupts the cats and it invades my privacy.

JW's just don't get the hint though. Apparently they are immune to signs
telling them to get lost. So, the doorbell goes at 8am this morning (a
saturday), and I get up and answer it because it might have been my
elderly neighbour needing help, which I don't mind at all. BUT, it was a
pair of bloody JW's!!!

As I pointed out that I REALLY wasn't interested, and by the way they
should learn to read, Miss Lily Whiskers slipped out between my legs and
into my front garden. The cats are absolutely not allowed out of the
front door because I live on what can be a busy road at times as it is
used as a rat-run in rush hour. That would have usually been fine as
she's done it once before and I normally just pick her up. But this
time, the JW's spooked her and she ran into the street. Fortunately she
was missed by the car coming up the street at the time, but it scared
her badly and she is now really spooked.

To say I wasn't polite to the JW's was a bit of an understatement. I
think I might have gone a bit over board when I called them illiterate
morons though. ;o)

Helen M (who is very relieved that Miss Lily Whiskers is fine)

How very scary! I'm so relieved to hear Miss Lily Whiskers is ok!
Calming purrs and hugs,
Polonca and Soncek

Old February 18th 07, 11:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

"Helen Miles" wrote in message
news:44b6b0b84818663593fb5d870827c2fd.76411@mygate .mailgate.org...
[...]

This doesn't address the problem of people who "assume" they have the right
to intrude. However, I have solved that problem (and, more important, the
possibility of more dangerous intruders) by using a peep-hole with a very
large view-point. It shows a person at full height, and I simply don't open
the door if I don't recognize the person on the other side. Of course, my
front door is solid wood. My "solution" would not be particularly good if
you have windows in your door.

MaryL