Religious door to door callers are dense....

Old February 19th 07, 12:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley via CatKB.com

Default Religious door to door callers are dense....

Helen Miles wrote:
This is a minor rant, so bear with me...

JW's are quite possibly THE most annoying people on the planet. I have a
BIG sign on my front door that says

To dispose of a JW (nastily) listen to them for 5 minutes nod intensly and
when the times up look at your watch and say "Look I agree with quite a lot
of what you're saying and I am definately interested in asking you to come
back so we can talk further (watch their faces light up) but I have to go and
give blood" (Watch their faces fall)

Mormons: When they ask you if you're religious, tell them you are and you
practice your religion. They inevitably ask whether you're Catholic, CofE etc
Tell them nope, you're a practising Satanist- worked for me anyway

Any unwelcome callers- my friend Tasha did this. She was in the kitchen and
the doorbell went so wondering who it was she went to answer it.

Two young men stood there and said "We're from the church of....." then ran
for it.

She was cutting up meat for her dogs and had without thinking opened the door
carrying a meat cleaver, wearing rubber gloves and bloody to the elbows!

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Old February 19th 07, 02:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian A

Lesley via CatKB.com wrote:
snip

Any unwelcome callers- my friend Tasha did this. She was in the
kitchen and the doorbell went so wondering who it was she went to
answer it.

Two young men stood there and said "We're from the church of....."
then ran for it.

She was cutting up meat for her dogs and had without thinking opened
the door carrying a meat cleaver, wearing rubber gloves and bloody to
the elbows!

I would love to have seen that. :-)
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart.

Old February 19th 07, 03:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ketzl's Dad

On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 07:29:07 -0500, Lesley via CatKB.com wrote:

Two young men stood there and said "We're from the church of....." then ran
for it.

She was cutting up meat for her dogs and had without thinking opened the door
carrying a meat cleaver, wearing rubber gloves and bloody to the elbows!

LOL!!

Yet aNOTHer good reason always to have raw meat and large knife handy.
Oh, and the gloves are a nice touch.

--
Joey DoWop Dee
Remember: It is To Laugh

Old February 19th 07, 06:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

Helen Miles wrote:
This is a minor rant, so bear with me...

JW's are quite possibly THE most annoying people on the planet. I
have a BIG sign on my front door that says

"No salespeople, NO religious callers, NO political canvasing.
Official callers must have ID."

To me, that is perfectly clear. I don't like to be disturbed by
people I am not expecting as it disrupts the cats and it invades my
privacy.

JW's just don't get the hint though. Apparently they are immune to
signs telling them to get lost.

(snippage)
Helen M (who is very relieved that Miss Lily Whiskers is fine)

I'm relieved Miss Lily Whiskers is fine, too! I haven't seen any JW's for a
while but from time to time the Baptists come to call. And they don't like
to take "no" for an answer, either. But I recall one funny experience
almost 10 years ago, shortly after I moved to this apartment. A father and
son knocked on my door and started their spiel about why I should attend
*their* Baptist church. When I could get a word in edgewise I said, "Just
one problem, I'm not a BAPTIST!" I swear they were practically signals to
ward off the evil eye as they backed away. They probably marked my
apartment somehow, like the hobos used to do, warning everyone else away.
I've not been bugged by door-to-door religious nuts since then.

Jill

Old February 19th 07, 07:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

Magic Mood Jeep© wrote:
Here, if you have signs posted (be it a business or a home) that
state "No Solicitation" (that means no salespeople, charity fund
collections or religious recruiters), and they don't leave when
asked, they can be arrested - or escorted off the premised by police
at any rate.

There are signs clearly posted in "Persia's" apartment complex (all over the
place) which say solicitation (by anyone) must be cleared by management and
they must present a permit from the office in order to do so. It doesn't
stop the dudes who try to sell magazines to (allegedly) pay for their
college education or for a school trip or whatever. I have nothing at *all*
against education, I'm all for it! But I'm not going to buy magazines from
some guy knocking on my door and not candy and not religion, either.

Jill

Old February 19th 07, 08:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Feb 19, 12:00�pm, "jmcquown" wrote:
Helen Miles wrote:
[...]

IME, Baptists will call (other denominations too)...when someone first
moves to invite them to their church. I don't think it had anything to
do with "evil eye". Usually they don't come back unless you've
expressed interest in their church.

Sherry

Old February 19th 07, 11:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Jack Campin - bogus address" wrote in message

(You may be confusing them with the Mormons, who are a bunch of
fascist psycho thugs).

I have to take issue with this opinion. A lot of my family are Mormons,
although I am not myself. A nicer bunch of people you couldn't meet.

Tweed

============== j-c ====== @ ====== purr . demon . co . uk
==============
Jack Campin: 11 Third St, Newtongrange EH22 4PU, Scotland | tel 0131 660
4760
http://www.purr.demon.co.uk/jack/ for CD-ROMs and free | fax 0870 0554
975
stuff: Scottish music, food intolerance, & Mac logic fonts | mob 07800 739
557

Old February 19th 07, 11:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Feb 19, 5:40�pm, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
"Jack Campin - bogus address" wrote in ...

(You may be confusing them with the Mormons, who are a bunch of
fascist psycho thugs).

I have to take issue with this opinion. *A lot of my family are Mormons,
although I am not myself. *A nicer bunch of people you couldn't meet.

Tweed

Well, I kind of take issue with it also; as I said in my post the
young Mormon missionaries were so nice it made it impossible to be
rude to them. Persistent, but very polite, always.

Sherry

Old February 20th 07, 12:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

"Mark Edwards" wrote in message
[snips]

No cluons were harmed when Yowie wrote:
(Joel and Cary are - officially at least - Catholic with a big C)

And we can assume that Schmog and Fluffy are Hedonists? (Big grin).

Shmoggists, for sure :-)

Yowie

Old February 20th 07, 07:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat

"wafflycat" wrote

| In my neck of the woods, we get periodic leaflets through the door from a
| group that's set up locally and are the local creationist/ID nuts. My
| offspring, in his subtle manner keeps muttering about going to one of
their
| meetings dressed in a Flying Spaghetti Monster outfit and handing out some
| of these...
|
| http://www.venganza.org/images/sprea...k_brochure.pdf
|
| and these...
|
| http://www.venganza.org/materials/flyers/