Rat hunt (not OT)

Old August 2nd 09, 06:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default Rat hunt (not OT)

We were having a rat hunt around the chicken huts today as I'd seen a few
and the chicken food was disappearing faster than my chickens could eat it.
I am supposed to keep Boyfriend inside overnight as he would go the way of
the rats, but he slipped outside after his breakfast. Aargh.
When I fed the chickens, there he was in the garden but when I called to him
and made nice noises so I could pick him up, he ran off.
OMG.
I had killer terriers coming and Boyfie was out!!
Fortunately he came back before they arrived. Phew. I shut him up safely
in a bedroom.

There is always a problem with rats if you keep chickens. I used to use
poison but decided it was cruel, they took a long time to die, so now I get
the terriers in. One snap sorts them.
Today we had Jess, a Patterdale terrier, Mooch, a Lakeland terrier and
Nipper a 10 month old Lakeland who killed her first two small rats today.
Every dog got one or more. That's important. Mooch & Jess got big ones.
Nipper was thrilled with herself. 6 rats won't die of poison.

There was a rat dying of poison yesterday outside my back door, I suspect my
neighbours of it. I should have been brave enough to kill it but I couldn't
bring myself to. I put Kitty's old empty litterbox over it to keep it away
from Boyfie and it was dead this morning.

I used to use poison once. I won't do it now.
Bring on the terriers, there are no days of suffering.
Snap. Dead immediately

Tweed

Old August 2nd 09, 06:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

Old August 2nd 09, 06:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"Christina Websell" wrote in
message ...
[...]

I hate the poison as well. Some of our neighbors use it. I mean
just what are you supposed to do about a half dead rat?

Don't want to go near it, but don't want the dog or anyone's cats
near it either.

Jo

Old August 2nd 09, 07:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley[_3_]

On Aug 2, 10:53*am, "Jofirey" wrote:

I hate the poison as well. *Some of our neighbors use it.

I hate the evidence- our downstairs neighbours have occasional
problems and on a couple of occasions I've had to deal with a dead rat
in the garden....

The council hate me, I don't want to walk out of a morning and see a
decomposing rat corpse so I ask them to remove their handiwork please
one of the staff once asked me if "You want us to give it a decent
Christian burial"

NOPE but our front garden has no gate between it and the street and I
don't want a dog picking the poisoned corpse up or can you imagine
some kid running into our garden (Running? We have had occasional
incident of parents with small children and for that matter somewhat
drunken adults using the shelter where we store our bins as a urinal.
Our front garden is dominated by the largest privet hedge in the world
so it gives them some privacy) and going "MUM! Look what I found!"

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs
Old August 2nd 09, 07:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

wrote:
[...]

Ewww. (Something told me not to read this post, I should have
paid attention) :-)

Why? What do you find "Ewww"?
I have chickens and we get rats that want to eat their food. They have to
be controlled, so what is better?
Poison? No. They die slowly over days, bleeding internally.
Today we smoked them out into the jaws of the terriers and they lived just
one second.
Isn't that better than dying of poison?
Of course it is.

Tweed

Old August 2nd 09, 07:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Jofirey" wrote in message

[...]

I should have been brave enough to kill it, it was dying. But no, I just
put a litter box on top of it and waited until morning until it was dead.
I'm ashamed of myself.

Tweed

Old August 2nd 09, 08:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"Christina Websell" wrote in
message ...

wrote:
[...]

Just not something that city folk want to read about over their
Sunday morning coffee and papers.

Although in this case I surly knew what to expect from the subject.
Gross? Yes. But I do envy you the services of the terriers.

Jo

Old August 2nd 09, 09:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

wrote:
[...]

It's not gross IMO, it's something that needs to be done here.
Meet the terriers, Jess, a black Patterdale. Mooch, a Lakeland, Nipper
the 10 month old Lakeland. Si, the Patterdale youngster from last year was
not able to come today, he has a sore nose from fighting his prey last week.
Nut the Lakeland boy had to stay in the car as Mooch was in season. I felt
sorry for Nut, he could have come out and had a go, after Mooch had killed
twice but no.
Poor lad.
These are not ordinary terriers. They will kill anything.
I panicked when Boyfriend was out just before they were due to come.
I would not, of course, have let them come while he was out. He'd have been
one dead cat.
He came in and I shut him up very safely. He was not best pleased but I
told him him to shut up unless it was his ambition to be torn to pieces.

Tweed

Old August 2nd 09, 09:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

wrote:
[...]

Tweed- Hide quoted text -

I understand what you're doing. I just don't find it pleasant, or
even interesting, to read a graphic account which describes
the various ways to kill an animal.
Sherry
Old August 2nd 09, 09:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

wrote:
[...]

_______
so don't read it, I don't think it was graphic. If you ever get rats you'll
have to do something about them.

Tweed

Rat hunt again OT Christina Websell Cat anecdotes 11 May 28th 06 01:14 AM
Another rat hunt (not too OT) Christina Websell Cat anecdotes 4 March 28th 06 09:33 PM
Why I Will Let My Cats Hunt--for now cybercat Cat health & behaviour 1 February 26th 06 10:48 PM
cricket hunt ClowderCat Cat community 39 September 1st 05 04:01 AM
"I'm on the hunt, I'm after you" Kreisleriana Cat anecdotes 18 June 13th 05 03:12 PM