what band dry cat food you feed ?

Old July 30th 11, 03:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Outsider

Default what band dry cat food you feed ?

Jack Campin wrote in
:

[wet vs dry catfood]

I apologize if I gave the impression of trying to squelch any topic

Your choice of words immediately reminded me of a factor that has
nothing to do with your cat's health.

Dry catfood can hurt when you step on it. Wet catfood squidges
between your toes as if you've just trodden on a slug.

I get to experience both.

------ e m a i l : j a c k @ c a m p i n . m
e . u k Jack Campin, 11 Third Street, Newtongrange,
Midlothian EH22 4PU, Scotland mobile 07800 739 557
http://www.campin.me.uk Twitter: JackCampin

Yes it can and we all know that the strategic placement so many food
nuggets find themselves in with respect to impendng human feet is purely a
coincidence and not at all cause by sneaky intent on our cats part. Well
that is what they keep telling me anyway.

Old July 30th 11, 04:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

Default Cat Fountains (WAS: what band dry cat food you feed ?)

On 7/29/2011 9:34 PM, outsider wrote:
wrote in
:

On 7/28/2011 6:44 PM, jmcquown wrote:

wrote in message
"Christina wrote in
:

wrote in message
"Christina wrote in
:

But surely it does not have be an either or thing?
Boyfie is fed mainly wet food but he does have a bit of dry every
day.
His teeth were checked when he had his vacs last month and they
were fine. If it *were* an either or - it would be wet food. My
cat could manage without his teeth but not without his kidneys.
The very high protein content in dried food is a real strain on
the kidneys as cats get older.

Tweed

In the end it comes down to personal choice.

Joy

In the morning I give them (the two boys) a half can between them
of chunky
food with a lot of water mixed in

Why do you mix water into it?

I am trying to insure

Persia loves her Drinkwell fountain. I never have to worry about her
being properly hydrated. She drinks water several times a day from
the filtered water fountain. One of the last things I hear before she
joins me in bed at night is the sound of her drinking water. One
thing she's never had is kidney problems She loves that fountain!

Jill

Mine *love* their Drinkwell Platinum fountain. We used to keep a tap
running for Jessie, but after a while she started using nothing but
the fountain - I guess she likes the charcoal-filtered water better
than straight tap water.

My two guys never drank from the Drinkwell and I have no idea why. It
would run and run and the water would evaporate in time and they would
never use it. I had to run a time lapse camera to be sure BUT you two
just reminded me about it stored away; my niece and her boyfriend will be
getting a cat very soon so maybe they will try it out. It would be great
to see someone get use out of it again.

When I got the new Platinum, I gave the old Drinkwell (still running
perfectly) to my (then) friend and her two cats loved it. I guess it
depends on the cat.
--
Hugs,

CatNipped

See the RPCA FAQ site, created by "Yowie", maintained by Mark Edwards, at:
http://www.professional-geek.net/rpcablog/

Old July 30th 11, 06:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"outsider" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote in
:

I am trying to insure they drink enough water in hopes it will help keep
their kidneys in the best shape possible. They lap it down in no time
when added to the food. Also since they eat half their diet in dry form
maybe it will insure they are properly hydrated.

Is there a reason why they eat half their diet in dry form?

It is a little complicated but it goes like this: Frank was a skinny
little guy who can eat dry food faster than Lyle who was overweight and IS
a bully about food. So I use two electronic feeders (timed together) so
they both have a dish that gets an equal portion of dry three times a day
and the worst that happens is Frank always finishes first so they eat
eqaul
on the dry. The wet, on the other hand, Lyle gobbles down faster than
frank and tends to get Franks last few bits. Although the water slows him
down just a bit,if I feed them more than half a can Lyle would get most of
it. The net result of the four feedings and the mix of the timed dry and
the "me provided" wet is that they are now much closer in weight. Frank
is
still bigger but he is not overweight or not by more than a tiny bit while
Frank is pretty much perfect cat weight. I also feel like they are more
content with four feedings a day which is next best thing to free feed
which just wont work with Lyle being such a hog.

My daughter and son-in-law solved the hog-cat problem - for a while. Acey
would hog all the food, and she was getting fatter, while poor Maus
(pronounced "moose") was getting thinner. They took a large cardboard box,
cut a Maus-sized hole in one end, turned it upside down and weighted it down
so it couldn't be dislodged. They'd put Maus's share of the food inside.
That worked so well that eventually they had to do away with it, because
Acey lost enough weight that she could now fit through the hole.

Joy

Old July 30th 11, 07:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

On 29.7.2011 0:53, Joy wrote:

Waffles and Pickles were used to having dry food available all the time, so
I've continued that. In spite of that, Waffles usually starts whining for
his canned food about 5 p.m. I normally give it to him about 6:30 p.m.

For the six years that I've had him, Caliban has been fed at 7 am and 7
pm, on the dot. But he still starts begging for food around 5.

And to the OP, I feed my cats mainly raw meat. Caliban sometimes gets
wet food, but Miranda does not recognize anything but real meat as
proper cat food. Neither one gets any dry food.

--
Marina, Miranda and Caliban.
In loving memory of Frank and Nikki.

Old July 30th 11, 06:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

On 7/30/2011 10:10 AM, minnow wrote:
In ,
wrote:

On 7/27/2011 7:58 PM, wrote:
J J Levin wrote:

wrote in message

(1) For Jay, that's a contraction of "spayed" and "neutered" that we
use
here to denote both/either "spayed (females)" or "neutered (male)".

Thanks. I am slowly learning the lingo.

I've always used "neutered" for both males and females, but "spayed" only
for females. Does anyone else?

Joyce

Another word to use for both is "de-sexed", but I don't like that one
because I feel their gender isn't effected as that word suggests.

I like 'speutered' myself if sex is unknown or irrelevant to the
conversation. Neutered is completely accurate for both, but I usually
don't use it for girls since 'neutered' has been taken over by boys -
castrated just doesn't sit well with most human men. De-sexed is another
one of those technically accurate neutral terms that I just don't use
for kitties but only because it feels odd in my mouth. It does feel
pretty accurate in rats, though, since neutering removes rather sizable
reminders that boys are boys *and* the testosterone that gives them a
rougher coat, the smell of corn chips, and the tendency to marinate in
their own pee.

- minnow

It's been *years* since we lost Hunter, but in the middle of August we
can still smell that tom cat pee in our truck.

--
Hugs,

CatNipped
See all our masters at:
http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped

Old July 30th 11, 06:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

On 7/30/2011 1:44 AM, Marina wrote:
On 29.7.2011 0:53, Joy wrote:

Waffles and Pickles were used to having dry food available all the
time, so
I've continued that. In spite of that, Waffles usually starts whining for
his canned food about 5 p.m. I normally give it to him about 6:30 p.m.

For the six years that I've had him, Caliban has been fed at 7 am and 7
pm, on the dot. But he still starts begging for food around 5.

And to the OP, I feed my cats mainly raw meat. Caliban sometimes gets
wet food, but Miranda does not recognize anything but real meat as
proper cat food. Neither one gets any dry food.

I've been meaning to ask you this. What kind of supplements do you give
them? How do you know what and how much to give them?

Old July 30th 11, 06:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

On 7/30/2011 12:33 AM, Joy wrote:
wrote in message
"Christina wrote in
:

[...]

That's a very simple yet elegant solution to a problem many of us have had.

Old July 31st 11, 07:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

"CatNipped" wrote in message
On 7/29/2011 12:37 AM, Sherry wrote:

"CatNipped" wrote in message
Michael, this is probably fourth on the list of subjects that will
cause, well not a flame wars, we don't do flame wars here, but let's
say a long discussion. It ranks just between 'indoor vs. outdoor',
'intact vs. speutered(1)', 'claws left decently/humanely intact or
"declawed"' (it's clear to see which side of that debate I, and
probably all of us here, are on - but it's one of the things we're
passionate about, that being the one "hot button" troll to use).

I believe in feeding canned food. I won't go into the pages long
reasons why I feel that way, but here is a good, educational link
about the subject:

http://www.maxshouse.com/feline_nutrition.htm

Warning, it's long and technically a bit difficult, but scroll to the
bottom of the page and you'll find *numerous* cites of very
prestigious personages who contributed to the article.

(1) For Jay, that's a contraction of "spayed" and "neutered" that we
use here to denote both/either "spayed (females)" or "neutered (male)".

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

Within the group of (few) people still remaining on rpca, I don't think
anyone is going to disrespect anybody else's decision on *what* they feed
their cats. A "long discussion" about cat food is welcome, to me, anyway.
We've got plenty of indoor/outdoor cats here, and that's not a taboo
subject

Sorry, I was using the FAQ page as reference (there actually *is* a
"taboos" section. I don't have any problem with food discussions,
indoor/outdoor, or anything else discussed politely. I'm also sorry I
have the impression of trying to squelch discussion or discourage anyone
from posting whatever they like.

Maybe I'm misreading but believe I sensed at least one poster who is
feeling defensive about choice of dry or wet food. There are several
people on the group who have very strong opinions on the subject, I am one
of them.

I didn't see that. All I saw was a poster who was started a "poll" type
thread. I saw no one get defensive.

Again, I apologize if I gave the impression of trying to squelch any topic
or discouraging anyone from posting whatever they like. This is just
another case of 'trying' to be helpful while 'actually' sticking my big
fat foot in my mouth. Mea culpa.

Apology not necessary. You had an opinion, and I had one, and they happened
to be different.
I just thought a cat food poll from a new poster was a pretty benign topic,
given the fact that
the people here are pretty decent and respecftul to each other these days. I
didn't see a need
for the topic to be censored, and you did. Difference of opinion, again.
Don't apologize for
having an opinion. That's not the same as flaming.

I didn't see anyone offended, and didn't see anyone else seeming to be
proseletyzing (sp?)

Sherry

Old July 31st 11, 07:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"CatNipped" wrote in message
[...]

I agree. I think it was a very pleasant discussion, with people being
courteous about expressing their opinions and their reasons for those
opinions. I just wish another one of my newsgroups could be so rational
about discussing differing opinions.

Joy