How cats drink

Old May 12th 09, 10:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bobcat

Default How cats drink

I'm always fascinated by watching our cats drinking. I've learned that
when they lap, their tongue curls under, not up, when they scoop the
water into their throats. And I've seen some odd ways that they get it
into their mouths. Just recently Sophie has adopted the habit of
placing her paw on the rim of the water dish nearest her and pushing
down. The dish tilts towards her so she can lap it up easily, but it
also results in water on the floor!

Our cousins' cat had an equally odd method of drinking. She'd dip her
paw in the dish, and lick off the water!

How about your cat(s)? Any odd drinking techniques?
Old May 13th 09, 12:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MatSav

"Bobcat" wrote in message
I'm always fascinated by watching our cats drinking. I've
learned that
when they lap, their tongue curls under, not up, when they
scoop the
water into their throats. And I've seen some odd ways that they
get it
into their mouths. Just recently Sophie has adopted the habit
of
placing her paw on the rim of the water dish nearest her and
pushing
down. The dish tilts towards her so she can lap it up easily,
but it
also results in water on the floor!

Our cousins' cat had an equally odd method of drinking. She'd
dip her
paw in the dish, and lick off the water!

How about your cat(s)? Any odd drinking techniques?

Mrs Cat (RB) would only drink from a cup, mug, or glass - never
from a bowl.

--
MatSav

Old May 13th 09, 01:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
ScratchMonkey

Bobcat wrote in news:f4186857-dd25-4589-9fe5-
:

How about your cat(s)? Any odd drinking techniques?

Most cats I know prefer falling water (fountains) if they can get it. I
always know when Harley's drinking because I can hear the interrupts in the
falling water from her Drinkwell Platinum. She laps from the falling
stream.

http://www.amazon.com/Drinkwell-D2WB-RE-Platinum-Pet-
Fountain/dp/B000L3XYZ4/

For a treat in hot weather, I'll toss ice cubes in and she'll pat those
around the bowl.
Old May 13th 09, 01:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Will in New Haven[_2_]

On May 12, 5:53*pm, Bobcat wrote:
I'm always fascinated by watching our cats drinking. I've learned that
when they lap, their tongue curls under, not up, when they scoop the
water into their throats. And I've seen some odd ways that they get it
into their mouths. Just recently Sophie has adopted the habit of
placing her paw on the rim of the water dish nearest her and pushing
down. The dish tilts towards her so she can lap it up easily, but it
also results in water on the floor!

Our cousins' cat had an equally odd method of drinking. She'd dip her
paw in the dish, and lick off the water!

How about your cat(s)? Any odd drinking techniques?

My RB Feather loved to stick his paw in the drip from my sink faucet
and lick his paw. After months and months, the landlord sent someone
to fix the drip. After the faucet stopped dripping, Feather visibly
sulked. So I made it drip again.

--
Will in New Haven
Old May 13th 09, 02:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
GaDragonfly

On May 12, 5:53*pm, Bobcat wrote:
I'm always fascinated by watching our cats drinking. I've learned that
when they lap, their tongue curls under, not up, when they scoop the
water into their throats. And I've seen some odd ways that they get it
into their mouths. Just recently Sophie has adopted the habit of
placing her paw on the rim of the water dish nearest her and pushing
down. The dish tilts towards her so she can lap it up easily, but it
also results in water on the floor!

Our cousins' cat had an equally odd method of drinking. She'd dip her
paw in the dish, and lick off the water!

How about your cat(s)? Any odd drinking techniques?

Hi Bobcat. Thank you for posting a cat question. I enjoy coming to
this group and finding actual cat stories and questions here. Our
Barnabus dips his paw into the dish and licks water from his paw.
Meeka and Rosco swirl the water around the bowl first. Rosco licks
the water off the side of the bowl once the water calms down. I've
heard that they do these things to break the surface of the water.
That they can't see where the water level is unless they make it
move. What do I know? I just know I get greatly amused by watching
them play in water.

Julie
Old May 13th 09, 03:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
nik Simpson

On 5/12/2009 4:53 PM, Bobcat wrote:

How about your cat(s)? Any odd drinking techniques?

With Muddy it's hard to tell with his head stuck down the toilet bowl :-)

--
Nik Simpson
Old May 13th 09, 03:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

O T buries his mouth up to his nose in the water dish and sort of sucks like
with a straw.

Piglet dips her paw then licks the water off.

Willow laps the water but loves the drip of the faucet the most.

Old May 13th 09, 05:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl

"Bobcat" wrote in message
I'm always fascinated by watching our cats drinking. I've learned that
when they lap, their tongue curls under, not up, when they scoop the
water into their throats. And I've seen some odd ways that they get it
into their mouths. Just recently Sophie has adopted the habit of
placing her paw on the rim of the water dish nearest her and pushing
down. The dish tilts towards her so she can lap it up easily, but it
also results in water on the floor!

Our cousins' cat had an equally odd method of drinking. She'd dip her
paw in the dish, and lick off the water!

How about your cat(s)? Any odd drinking techniques?

Scarlett only drinks off of her paw. When she goes to the water dish I say
"Scarlett is going swimming"

Old May 13th 09, 11:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bobcat

On May 12, 8:28*pm, ScratchMonkey
wrote:

Most cats I know prefer falling water (fountains) if they can get it. I
always know when Harley's drinking because I can hear the interrupts in the
falling water from her Drinkwell Platinum. She laps from the falling
stream.

Here's a kitty who doesn't have a Drinkwell Platinum, but doesn't mind
making do with the kitchen tap!

http://revver.com/video/670628/cute-...ater-from-tap/
Old May 13th 09, 01:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

nik Simpson wrote:
On 5/12/2009 4:53 PM, Bobcat wrote:

How about your cat(s)? Any odd drinking techniques?

With Muddy it's hard to tell with his head stuck down the toilet bowl
:-)

If hoomins so clever, why they pee in water bowl?

Baggy