Gobble Gobble

Old November 24th 04, 04:30 AM
Mischief

Oh, in case people have forgotten, I'm currently living in Southern
California, and my family is in Northern California, in Fremont

Kristi
Old November 24th 04, 05:09 AM
Marina

CajunPrincess wrote:

This is why I think Thanksgiving is such a great holiday. It's not
about buying, it's about eating and being with people. Making the
meal isn't too huge of a deal because so much of the "comfort food"
that you make for Thanksgiving is pretty easy to prepare (you have to
really *try* to mess up mashed potatoes) and most of the ingredients
don't cost an arm and a leg. Probably because you don't eat it all
the time, I love turkey, especially the Cajun fried turkeys; but done
any way is great by me and it's another item that's hard to mess up.
Green bean casserole, sweet potato casserole, squash casserole;
brocolli casserole (yep, I like casseroles); collard greens,
jambalaya, jalepeno cornbread, yeast rolls, dressing/stuffing
(probably the most involved dish if you want to be fancy), baked beans
and on and on. It's great to have Thanksgiving with family but it's
also nice to share it with people you aren't related to.

Hey now, for us who don't celebrate Thanksgiving, how about sharing some
recipes? So we can celebrate with you, at least in spirit. This stuffing
everyone talks about, what goes in it? I don't remember having
celebrated Thanksgiving when I lived in the US as a child, and Mum
wouldn't have known the recipes anyway.

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki

Old November 24th 04, 08:15 AM

Mischief wrote:

Oh, in case people have forgotten, I'm currently living in Southern
California, and my family is in Northern California, in Fremont

Oh, they're practically my neighbors! Well, not really - Fremont is
about 45 miles from me - but it's closer than most folks on this ng.
I'm sorry you won't get to spend this Thanksgiving with them. At least
you can look forward to Christmas.

As for your kitties, I'd say, give them turkey for TG day - since that's
what everyone else is eating. You can give them ham for Christmas.

Joyce

Old November 24th 04, 08:32 AM
badwilson

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone! This Canadian living in Thailand has a
great weekend of celebration lined up. On Friday I'm going to my
friend's in Bangkok for the traditional Thai holiday of Loy Krathong.
We're going to launch our krathongs (slices of banana tree stem
decorated with banana leaves, flowers, candles and incense) in one of
the klongs (canal) by her apartment building. Then we will cook some
fajitas (not Thai but my friend is from Texas) and watch all the other
candle lit krathongs float down the klongs from her 11th story
balcony.
On Saturday night, we're going to another friend's house for
Thanksgiving dinner. Everyone is bringing a dish and it will be
great. I'm so happy I've got all these American friends, this way I
get 2 Thanksgivings a year. I had a Turkey Day already on October
11th when I was home in Canada. I never say no to turkey ;-)
--
Britta
Sandpaper kisses, a cuddle and a purr. I have an alarm clock that's

"Charleen Welton" wrote in message
. ..
Happy Thanksgiving Day to all of those who celebrate this calorie

stuffed
day. Thanks for our families, friends, cats, kittens, d*gs,

goldfish,
chickens, birds of all sizes, colors and shapes. Thanks for all

that makes
our lives healthy and happy!

Charleen
Mr. Pumpkin, who gets shrimp for the holiday
Aggie Marble, who smells shrimp and goes yuck
Victor Velcro, who will eat anything and lots of it

Old November 24th 04, 10:23 AM
jmcquown

Marina wrote:
CajunPrincess wrote:

This is why I think Thanksgiving is such a great holiday. It's not
about buying, it's about eating and being with people. Making the
meal isn't too huge of a deal

(snippage)
Hey now, for us who don't celebrate Thanksgiving, how about sharing
some recipes? So we can celebrate with you, at least in spirit. This
stuffing everyone talks about, what goes in it? I don't remember
having celebrated Thanksgiving when I lived in the US as a child, and
Mum wouldn't have known the recipes anyway.

Stuffing is basically bread *stuffed* into a turkey. Oh, it's not that
simplistic, I'm afraid. There are different kinds of stuffing. Some people
like to use dried cubed bread or dried crumbled bread which has been
seasoned with some dried sage. I prefer crumbled cornbread (ditto the
sage). The basic method is to add hot chicken or vegetable stock to the
dried bread along with a good amount of melted butter until the bread
mixture is moist. However, nearly all recipes call for sauteeing diced
onion and celery in butter until it is tender and adding this mixture to the
bread along with the stock and some salt & pepper to taste.

If you'd like to get more fancy, you can also saute some garlic and red or
green bell pepper along with the onion and celery in the butter; more
veggies, more butter. (No one said this is particularly healthy!) Now, to
further complicate matters, some people add browned ground pork sausage to
the mixture (drained of fat). Or cooked wild rice (which is not a rice at
all but rather a black grass seed). Or chopped oysters. Or chopped
chestnuts. Or chopped apples. Or... G

At any rate, the mixture is then stuffed loosely in the cavity of a turkey
and when you roast the bird the natural drippings further moisten the
stuffing mixture. Prior to carving the turkey, spoon ALL of the stuffing
out of the cavity of the bird into a serving bowl. But, stuffing can also
be placed in a bread pan and baked for about 20 minutes in a moderate oven
when the turkey is in final stages of cooking.

Now, aren't you glad you asked? LOL

Jill

Old November 24th 04, 01:47 PM

badwilson wrote:

On Friday I'm going to my
friend's in Bangkok for the traditional Thai holiday of Loy Krathong.
We're going to launch our krathongs (slices of banana tree stem
decorated with banana leaves, flowers, candles and incense) in one of
the klongs (canal) by her apartment building. Then we will cook some
fajitas (not Thai but my friend is from Texas) and watch all the other
candle lit krathongs float down the klongs from her 11th story
balcony.

Wow, that sounds beautiful! Think you could get some photos? I'd love
to see what that looks like.

I'm so happy I've got all these American friends, this way I
get 2 Thanksgivings a year. I had a Turkey Day already on October
11th when I was home in Canada. I never say no to turkey ;-)

Lucky you!

I'm spending tomorrow cooking for the dinner I'm going to on Friday.
I'm going to bring: squash casserole, spinach pie, mashed potatoes,
and a fruit crisp. There will be plenty of other food, too.

Joyce