Gobble Gobble

Old November 26th 04, 02:27 AM
O J

Charleen W wrote:

Happy Thanksgiving Day to all of those who celebrate this calorie stuffed
day. Thanks for our families, friends, cats, kittens, d*gs, goldfish,
chickens, birds of all sizes, colors and shapes. Thanks for all that makes
our lives healthy and happy!

Happy Thanksgiving to you and to all. We're having our turkey
tomorrow. DH will be having those turkey sandwiches and the kitties
will all get some turkey as well.

One of the things I'm thankful for this year is that I've made new
friends here on rpca. I can't get out much anymore, and this group
has become very important to me. Thanks everyone for taking in a
stranger and making him feel at home.

Regards and Purrs,
O J
Old November 26th 04, 02:37 AM
Karen Chuplis

in article , John F. Eldredge at
wrote on 11/25/04 8:12 PM:

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 07:09:53 +0200, Marina
wrote:

CajunPrincess wrote:

This is why I think Thanksgiving is such a great holiday. It's
not about buying, it's about eating and being with people. Making
the meal isn't too huge of a deal because so much of the "comfort
food" that you make for Thanksgiving is pretty easy to prepare
(you have to really *try* to mess up mashed potatoes) and most of
the ingredients don't cost an arm and a leg. Probably because you
don't eat it all the time, I love turkey, especially the Cajun
fried turkeys; but done any way is great by me and it's another
item that's hard to mess up. Green bean casserole, sweet potato
casserole, squash casserole;
brocolli casserole (yep, I like casseroles); collard greens,
jambalaya, jalepeno cornbread, yeast rolls, dressing/stuffing
(probably the most involved dish if you want to be fancy), baked
beans and on and on. It's great to have Thanksgiving with family
but it's also nice to share it with people you aren't related to.

Hey now, for us who don't celebrate Thanksgiving, how about sharing
some recipes? So we can celebrate with you, at least in spirit.
This stuffing everyone talks about, what goes in it? I don't
remember having
celebrated Thanksgiving when I lived in the US as a child, and Mum
wouldn't have known the recipes anyway.

Here is one that I tried today for the first time. The combination
of flavors is unusual, but it proved to be tasty. This recipe was
broadcast on the "Morning Edition" news program on National Public
Radio, and is from host Susan Stamberg.

Mama Stamberg's Cranberry Relish

2 cups whole raw cranberries, washed
1 small onion
3/4 cup sour cream
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons horseradish from a jar ("red is a bit milder than
white")

Grind the raw berries and onion together. ("I use an old-fashioned
meat grinder," says Stamberg. "I'm sure there's a setting on the
food processor that will give you a chunky grind -- not a puree.")

Add everything else and mix.

Put in a plastic container and freeze.

Early Thanksgiving morning, move it from freezer to refrigerator
compartment to thaw. ("It should still have some little icy slivers
left.")

The relish will be thick, creamy, and shocking pink. ("OK, Pepto
Bismol pink. It has a tangy taste that cuts through and perks up the
turkey and gravy. It’s also good on next-day turkey sandwiches, and
with roast beef.")

Makes 1 1/2 pints.

I have made this before. It's really very good on sandwiches. People beg for
the recipe every year and it is well worth making as it is delicious.

Old November 26th 04, 04:06 AM
Kreisleriana

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 20:37:56 -0600, Karen Chuplis
yodeled:
(snip)
Here is one that I tried today for the first time. The combination
of flavors is unusual, but it proved to be tasty. This recipe was
broadcast on the "Morning Edition" news program on National Public
Radio, and is from host Susan Stamberg.

Mama Stamberg's Cranberry Relish

You are the first person I've ever known who actually tried the
legendary NPR Cranberry Relish! I've been hearing it for almost 20
years. Now I've really gotta try it.

Theresa
Old November 26th 04, 06:02 AM
Jo Firey

"Kreisleriana" wrote in message
On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 20:37:56 -0600, Karen Chuplis
yodeled:
(snip)
Here is one that I tried today for the first time. The combination
of flavors is unusual, but it proved to be tasty. This recipe was
broadcast on the "Morning Edition" news program on National Public
Radio, and is from host Susan Stamberg.

Mama Stamberg's Cranberry Relish

You are the first person I've ever known who actually tried the
legendary NPR Cranberry Relish! I've been hearing it for almost 20
years. Now I've really gotta try it.

Well dang it! I just now realized we forgot to serve the cranberry sauce
again! And there are two separate containers of it in the refrigerator.
For some reason it only seems to make it to the Thanksgiving table about
every third year.

Jo

Old November 27th 04, 12:07 AM
SUQKRT

In article , Marina
wrote:

jmcquown wrote:

Stuffing is basically bread *stuffed* into a turkey. Oh, it's not that
simplistic, I'm afraid. There are different kinds of stuffing. Some

people
like to use dried cubed bread or dried crumbled bread which has been
seasoned with some dried sage. I prefer crumbled cornbread (ditto the
sage). The basic method is to add hot chicken or vegetable stock to

the
dried bread along with a good amount of melted butter until the bread
mixture is moist. However, nearly all recipes call for sauteeing diced
onion and celery in butter until it is tender and adding this mixture

to the
bread along with the stock and some salt & pepper to taste.

If you'd like to get more fancy, you can also saute some garlic and red

or
green bell pepper along with the onion and celery in the butter; more
veggies, more butter. (No one said this is particularly healthy!) Now,

further complicate matters, some people add browned ground pork sausage

the mixture (drained of fat). Or cooked wild rice (which is not a rice

at
all but rather a black grass seed). Or chopped oysters. Or chopped
chestnuts. Or chopped apples. Or... G

At any rate, the mixture is then stuffed loosely in the cavity of a turkey
and when you roast the bird the natural drippings further moisten the
stuffing mixture. Prior to carving the turkey, spoon ALL of the stuffing
out of the cavity of the bird into a serving bowl. But, stuffing can

also
be placed in a bread pan and baked for about 20 minutes in a moderate

oven
when the turkey is in final stages of cooking.

Now, aren't you glad you asked? LOL

I suppose I got what I asked for. ) My family started eating turkey
for yule sometime in the 80s (early 90s?) when they became more easily

available in Finland (the traditional yule meat is ham here). My sister

makes it with a bread and mushroom stuffing. There's some sherry there,

too. I was just wondering if the American stuffing is anything like
that. I'm a vegetarian for most of the time, but I do eat meat
occasionally (once a month or so), though I'm supposed to avoid animal

protein. So, I do eat some turkey, but now that you told me about
'cavities' I'm not so sure. ;o) I suppose I knew where the stuffing goes

but lived in some degree of denial.

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki

It doesn't have to be stuffed. I had some yesterday that had been baked in a
separate pan. Your sister's recipe sounds yummy
Suz
Macmoosette

"People that hate cats will come back as mice in their next life."
--Faith Resnick

|\__/|
(=':'=)
(")_(")

Old November 28th 04, 03:20 PM
badwilson

"badwilson" wrote in message

wrote in message
news
badwilson wrote:

On Friday I'm going to my
friend's in Bangkok for the traditional Thai holiday of Loy

Krathong.
We're going to launch our krathongs (slices of banana tree stem
decorated with banana leaves, flowers, candles and incense) in

one of
the klongs (canal) by her apartment building. Then we will

cook
some
fajitas (not Thai but my friend is from Texas) and watch all

the
other
candle lit krathongs float down the klongs from her 11th story
balcony.

Wow, that sounds beautiful! Think you could get some photos? I'd

love
to see what that looks like.

Sure, I plan on taking my camera. I hope it will turn out because

it
will be dark out, but I have really good zoom and if I put it on my
tripod I can use the night setting with a long exposure. I'll see
what I can come up with.

Ok, I'm back from my weekend in Bangkok. Unfortunately I wasn't able
to get any Loy Krathong pictures because it was insanely windy out
because of that typhoon that's been passing through. Actually, I
think they downgraded it to a tropical storm and it was quite a ways
away from Bangkok, but it was still windy and the wind toppled all the
krathongs over as soon as they were launched, so it wasn't
particularly scenic. Instead, we got drunk and launched water
balloons off my friends' 11th floor balcony and into the klong below.
It was fun :-)
The Thanksgiving dinner was awesome. Way too much food but everything
was so yummy and everyone had a great time. I have 500 messages to
catch up on, so I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!
--
Britta
Sandpaper kisses, a cuddle and a purr. I have an alarm clock that's