Cat not drinking water

Old April 11th 08, 09:18 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
William Graham

Default Cat not drinking water

"Baldoni" wrote in message
William Graham wrote on 11/04/2008 :
"JJ206" wrote in message
Petzl wrote:
On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 20:40:11 GMT, RPSinha wrote:

I haven't seen my cat drink any water. I do feed her 100% canned and
she spends several hrs outdoors, so could be drinking when I am not
there to notice it.
Is this something to worry about or should I just leave water around
and let her nature take its course?
Should I try to insist that she drink some water before serving food
(about the only leverage I have)?

You should have a bowl of fresh water available The best bowl is
ceramic and wide so whiskers don't touch side.
That said cats don't drink much water
Petzl

What's bad about metal bowls ?

Jon

Cats love to drink from dirty water pools. Mine like to drink from our
birdbath, even if the water hasn't been changed in weeks......Rain water
pools are their favorite. I leave them fresh water inside the house, but
they still love the dirty stuff. - Maybe they are turned off by the faint
taste of chlorine....I don't know what it is.......

Are they OK with metal bowls though ?

--
Count Baldoni

I don't use metal bowls, but I don't think it would hurt the cats,
especially if it was made out of aluminum or stainless steel.....I would
avoid copper and/or brass.

Old April 12th 08, 04:05 AM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
William Graham

"Kathy" wrote in message

Cats love to drink from dirty water pools. Mine like to drink from our
birdbath, even if the water hasn't been changed in weeks......Rain water
pools are their favorite. I leave them fresh water inside the house, but
they still love the dirty stuff. - Maybe they are turned off by the faint
taste of chlorine....I don't know what it is.......

My cat has been caught drinking out of the fishbowl- one fish, pretty
testy about his small bowl. She laps up water unless she gets caught. She
doesn't seem to want the fish, but maybe it's because he (the fish) keeps
moving. It's the same water she has in her fountain, except it has a fish
and fish leavings/food in it...
Kathy

Yeah......Makes you wonder how they could have survived for millions of
years by drinking the foulest water they could find......:^)

Old April 13th 08, 02:57 AM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Petzl

On Apr 13, 5:26*am, JJ206
wrote:
Petzl wrote:
On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 20:40:11 GMT, RPSinha wrote:

[Snip]
Should I try to insist that she drink some water before serving food
(about the only leverage I have)?

You should have a bowl of fresh water available
The best bowl is ceramic and wide so whiskers don't touch side.
That said cats don't drink much water
Petzl

What's bad about metal bowls ?

Jon

Nothing if your cat will drink from it (cats can be picky)
Metal & plastic bowls can taint the water. (do you dink tea or coffee
from a metal cup? Most can taste a difference)

That said
For my cats I use a 2 litre coke bottle screwed into a plastic
drinking bowl which they seem to like. I have this outside and abut a
litre a week is missing I have only seen my cats drink from it I
suspect cat parties at night may also contribute

For feeding wet food I use disposable plastic party plates (not bowl)
and add a little water around food.
Although "party plates" are disposable they can be washed but are very
cheap to buy

I have top quality dry food in a plastic bowl handy at all times,
along with a fresh water filled plastic bowl (only occasionally drank
from)

Petzl
--
A: Because it disturbs the logical flow of a message.
Q: Why is top posting a sloppy form of writing?
Old April 13th 08, 10:19 AM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Upscale

"William Graham" wrote in message
Yeah......Makes you wonder how they could have survived for millions of
years by drinking the foulest water they could find......:^)

Which should make one realize why indoor only cats usually live longer than
outdoor cats. Just because a cat may be happier with the unlimited wide open
spaces available to it doesn't mean it can't be happy living an indoor only
life as well as a longer life.

Old April 13th 08, 04:12 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Ivor Jones[_2_]

Upscale wrote:
"William Graham" wrote in message
Yeah......Makes you wonder how they could have survived for millions
of years by drinking the foulest water they could find......:^)

Which should make one realize why indoor only cats usually live
longer than outdoor cats. Just because a cat may be happier with the
unlimited wide open spaces available to it doesn't mean it can't be
happy living an indoor only life as well as a longer life.

Personally I'd rather a short and happy life than a long and miserable
one.

But that's me.

Ivor

Old April 13th 08, 04:34 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Professor[_2_]

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message
Upscale wrote:
"William Graham" wrote in message
Yeah......Makes you wonder how they could have survived for millions
of years by drinking the foulest water they could find......:^)

Which should make one realize why indoor only cats usually live
longer than outdoor cats. Just because a cat may be happier with the
unlimited wide open spaces available to it doesn't mean it can't be
happy living an indoor only life as well as a longer life.

Personally I'd rather a short and happy life than a long and miserable
one.
But that's me.

Ivor

Ivor is stupid enough to think that indoor cats are somehow unhappy when
nothing could be further from the truth.

Old April 13th 08, 08:25 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Ivor Jones[_2_]

Professor wrote:
"Ivor Jones" wrote in message
Upscale wrote:
"William Graham" wrote in message
Yeah......Makes you wonder how they could have survived for
millions of years by drinking the foulest water they could
find......:^)

Which should make one realize why indoor only cats usually live
longer than outdoor cats. Just because a cat may be happier with the
unlimited wide open spaces available to it doesn't mean it can't be
happy living an indoor only life as well as a longer life.

Personally I'd rather a short and happy life than a long and
miserable one.
But that's me.

Ivor

Ivor is stupid enough to think that indoor cats are somehow unhappy
when nothing could be further from the truth.

Possibly, but from experience I believe they'd be *happier* if allowed
outside.

Ivor