Cat not drinking water

Old April 13th 08, 08:27 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Ivor Jones[_2_]

Default Cat not drinking water

Matthew wrote:
"Ivor Jones" wrote in message
Upscale wrote:
"William Graham" wrote in message
Yeah......Makes you wonder how they could have survived for
millions of years by drinking the foulest water they could
find......:^)

Which should make one realize why indoor only cats usually live
longer than outdoor cats. Just because a cat may be happier with the
unlimited wide open spaces available to it doesn't mean it can't be
happy living an indoor only life as well as a longer life.

Personally I'd rather a short and happy life than a long and
miserable one.

That is about the most ignorant thing I have ever heard.

The most ignorant thing *I've* ever heard is that it's ok to keep a cat
indoors just because you *want* to and not because it's *necessary* to do
so.

There *are* circumstances where cats should be kept indoors (FIV+ etc) but
they are in the minority.

But I am not going to get in this stupid debate again that a few of
you can resist to keep going

You already did.

Ivor

Old April 13th 08, 08:57 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

On Apr 13, 11:12 am, "Ivor Jones" wrote:
Upscale wrote:
"William Graham" wrote in message
Yeah......Makes you wonder how they could have survived for millions
of years by drinking the foulest water they could find......:^)

Which should make one realize why indoor only cats usually live
longer than outdoor cats. Just because a cat may be happier with the
unlimited wide open spaces available to it doesn't mean it can't be
happy living an indoor only life as well as a longer life.

Personally I'd rather a short and happy life than a long and miserable
one.

But that's me.

Ivor

I have 2 cats, 13 and 15 and they are outside all summer and always
have been......they are in all winter. Spring and summer they are
outside, hanging out in the barn or on the front porch.
Old April 13th 08, 09:05 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Professor[_2_]

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message
Professor wrote:
"Ivor Jones" wrote in message
Upscale wrote:
"William Graham" wrote in message
Yeah......Makes you wonder how they could have survived for
millions of years by drinking the foulest water they could
find......:^)

Which should make one realize why indoor only cats usually live
longer than outdoor cats. Just because a cat may be happier with the
unlimited wide open spaces available to it doesn't mean it can't be
happy living an indoor only life as well as a longer life.

Personally I'd rather a short and happy life than a long and
miserable one.
But that's me.
Ivor

Ivor is stupid enough to think that indoor cats are somehow unhappy
when nothing could be further from the truth.

Possibly, but from experience I believe they'd be *happier* if allowed
outside.
Ivor

I don't want to continue this argument beyond this post. Most people live
in places where the potential for a cat getting severely injured or killed
outside is very great. Cats have been living with people in houses for
thousands of years. They're not mountain lions, they're housecats.

The idea that it us better for everyone to let their cat play in the street
and potentially live a very short life rather than be safe indoors and live
a long life is utterly ridiculous. I could possibly understand it if
someone lived far from civilization but that would probably present threats
from wild animals. Perhaps it is just that cats have been miserable living
indoors with Ivor, which after reading his posts I can understand.

Old April 13th 08, 09:08 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Ivor Jones[_2_]

Professor wrote:

[snip]

The idea that it us better for everyone to let their cat play in the
street and potentially live a very short life rather than be safe
indoors and live a long life is utterly ridiculous. I could possibly
understand it if someone lived far from civilization but that would
probably present threats from wild animals. Perhaps it is just that
cats have been miserable living indoors with Ivor, which after
reading his posts I can understand.

You don't know me, the area where I live, or the cats I have had over the
last 30 years, all of whom have been allowed out and all of whom have
lived for 16+ years. Please don't make assumptions.

Ivor

Old April 13th 08, 09:10 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Ivor Jones[_2_]

Matthew wrote:

[snip]

Professor has his points, William has his. Ivor you have yours,
Baldoni has his. Upscale has his. I have mine this is just to name a
few. And guess what you all will never change each others minds you
will never agree with one another on the opposite side. A debate can
be interesting but the same debate over and over and over and over
and over and over gets annoying after awhile. You all seem desperate
to jump on the band wagon when it rolls thru. Take up knitting it
is more interesting than having to see the same thing almost every
week.

You don't *have* to see it. Nobody is forcing you to read it.

Ivor

Old April 14th 08, 01:20 AM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Upscale

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message
You don't know me, the area where I live, or the cats I have had over the
last 30 years, all of whom have been allowed out and all of whom have
lived for 16+ years. Please don't make assumptions.

Actually, you're the one making assumptions by thinking that indoor only
cats are miserable or even remotely unhappy. By your statement "Personally
I'd rather a short and happy life than a long and miserable one" can we
believe that you'd be perfectly happy to spend all your time eating,
drinking and screwing around and then dying by the age of thirty from a
combination of AIDS, diabetes and cirrhosis of the liver?

Old April 14th 08, 03:33 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

Upscale wrote:
"William Graham" wrote in message
Yeah......Makes you wonder how they could have survived for millions
of years by drinking the foulest water they could find......:^)

Which should make one realize why indoor only cats usually live
longer than outdoor cats. Just because a cat may be happier with the
unlimited wide open spaces available to it doesn't mean it can't be
happy living an indoor only life as well as a longer life.

Personally I'd rather a short and happy life than a long and miserable
one.

But that's me.

Ivor

I have 2 cats, 13 and 15 and they are outside all summer and always
have been......they are in all winter. Spring and summer they are
outside, hanging out in the barn or on the front porch.

If you have a barn then you're not likely to be in a city where a cat
can easily get run over. Any coyotes or such?

My cats are lucky; they spend most of the time in a house with cat
trees and several floors to run around in. When I'm home, they can go
into the fenced-in backyard and watch the birds and squirrels and
such.

I picked one cat, Marlo, right off the street by my house. After
getting her checked and fixed, I introduced her to my other two and
she mixed in well. So, she is familiar with the neighborhood. I was
concerned that she might not like being fenced in where she used to
roam around freely, but that is not the case.

She is the last cat to head outside when the door is opened, and she
tends to stay near the door. We're finally getting warm enough that I
can leave the door ajar, but during the cooler weather I keep the
storm door closed and open it only when one wants to come in or out.
Whenever I open that door, she comes charging in, as if afraid that
she might be locked out.

I can hardly blame her. It's dry, there's food and a cat fountain,
soft places to sleep, and someone to hold and scritch her and run a
brush through her fur. She may not be the brightest bulb, but she
isn't stupid.
Old April 14th 08, 07:08 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Ivor Jones[_2_]

Upscale wrote:
"Ivor Jones" wrote in message
You don't know me, the area where I live, or the cats I have had
over the last 30 years, all of whom have been allowed out and all of
whom have lived for 16+ years. Please don't make assumptions.

Actually, you're the one making assumptions by thinking that indoor
only cats are miserable or even remotely unhappy. By your statement
"Personally I'd rather a short and happy life than a long and
miserable one" can we believe that you'd be perfectly happy to spend
all your time eating, drinking and screwing around and then dying by
the age of thirty from a combination of AIDS, diabetes and cirrhosis
of the liver?

You can believe whatever you like.

FWIW I never once said indoor only cats are miserable. I merely said I
believe they would be *happier* if allowed out.

And you still don't know me or any of my cats.

Ivor

Old April 14th 08, 08:06 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Dan Espen

"Ivor Jones" writes:
Upscale wrote:
"Ivor Jones" wrote in message
You don't know me, the area where I live, or the cats I have had
over the last 30 years, all of whom have been allowed out and all of
whom have lived for 16+ years. Please don't make assumptions.

Actually, you're the one making assumptions by thinking that indoor
only cats are miserable or even remotely unhappy. By your statement
"Personally I'd rather a short and happy life than a long and
miserable one" can we believe that you'd be perfectly happy to spend
all your time eating, drinking and screwing around and then dying by
the age of thirty from a combination of AIDS, diabetes and cirrhosis
of the liver?

You can believe whatever you like.

FWIW I never once said indoor only cats are miserable. I merely said I
believe they would be *happier* if allowed out.

Just move up the thread a bit:

Old April 15th 08, 12:22 AM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
William Graham

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message
Upscale wrote:
"William Graham" wrote in message
Yeah......Makes you wonder how they could have survived for millions
of years by drinking the foulest water they could find......:^)

Which should make one realize why indoor only cats usually live
longer than outdoor cats. Just because a cat may be happier with the
unlimited wide open spaces available to it doesn't mean it can't be
happy living an indoor only life as well as a longer life.

Personally I'd rather a short and happy life than a long and miserable
one.

But that's me.

Ivor

Me too, and I wouldn't impose anything else on my cats, either. When you
compare a hundred year lifespan to the infinity of time that is implied in
the universe, it just doesn't make sense to compromise on your enjoyment in
the interest of saving a few years, and anyone who really understands cats
would know that they think the same way, or, at least, would think that way
were they philosophers......:^)