[OT] coca-cola and rust

Old March 25th 06, 06:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default [OT] coca-cola and rust

wrote

Any suggestions?

But a ceramic teapot. Preheat it with boiling water before you make tea.
Pour out the hot water, then add loose tea, then add simmering hot water and
let it steep for a while. When you pour the tea, slowly, into cups, the
leaves (or flowers, twigs, roots, whatever) will stay in the ceramic pot. No
need for a strainer.

Old March 25th 06, 08:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"dnr" wrote in message
Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
Well, this article seems to debunk a lot of the "cleaning" uses of
coke:
http://www.truthminers.com/hoaxarticles/coke.htm
This article didn't seem to have any comment about whether Coke cleaned

rust. All it said was: "To loosen a rusted bolt: Applying a cloth soaked
in Coca-Cola to the rusted bolt for several minutes. Same to same."
I don't understand what "Same to same" means.
Joyce

This may seem unsympathic, Joyce....but AFAIC Coke is for drinking!
When I was a kid, we put peanuts in the bottle (you, too, Matt?).
My tea strainer is silver and never gets nasty or rusts. Stainless is
also good. Did you know they sell little loose-woven cloth bags (each
one big enough for one cup) you put loose tea in to brew and then
discard? If I were you, I'd abandon ship w/that strainer you describe.

What who me I don't know what you are talking about I don't remember my
childhood the wheel had just been invented I think :-)

Old March 25th 06, 10:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Matthew AKA NMR ( NO MORE RETAIL:
This may seem unsympathic, Joyce....but AFAIC Coke is for drinking!
When I was a kid, we put peanuts in the bottle (you, too, Matt?)

What who me I don't know what you are talking about I don't remember my
childhood the wheel had just been invented I think :-)

(Snort) Old custom in the south! Peanuts in your Coke bottle! Maybe
not in Kentucky, then. But you are NOT *that* old, even though Nehi,
not Coke, was the favored refreshment in my childhood neighborhood.
Nobody but the grownups drank tea.

Old March 25th 06, 11:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Victor Martinez wrote:
I've never tried coke with rust, it works well with calcium deposits
though.

I remember one of my sister's school friends put a tooth in a glass of coke,
it completely disolved in about a week.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart.

Old March 25th 06, 04:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Victor Martinez" wrote

I've never tried coke with rust, it works well with calcium deposits
though.

For calcium deposits, do you use it straight, or can it be diluted some? How
long to soak, and is any scrubbing required? I'd like to clear the bottom of
an empty water heater. The Coke can go in through a funnel at the top then
I'll turn the thing on its side to drain it.

I haven't drunk a Coke (nor any other soft drink, for that matter) since
childhood, maybe age 7-8, when I witnessed my father using it to dissolve
corrosion around a battery terminal.

Old March 25th 06, 04:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-03-25, Yowie penned:

Nthe knock-off brand may not be acidic. Its really the acid in coke
that is the active ingredient in rust removal, although the
carbonation helps 'lift' the rust (but so would a brush!)

If that's true, wouldn't Fresca be even better? (Citrus flavored
soda.)

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old March 25th 06, 04:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-03-25, EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) penned:

Victor Martinez wrote:

I've never tried coke with rust, it works well with calcium
deposits though.

Hmmmm.... in taht case, think what it does to your TEETH!

Regardless, soda is known to leach calcium from your bones ...

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old March 25th 06, 04:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 08:27:39 -0700, "Monique Y. Mudama"
wrote:

Regardless, soda is known to leach calcium from your bones ...

Sort of. Phosphorus will interfere with calcium and some soft drinks
have phosphoric acid as flavoring. The phosphoric acid gives a "bite"
to the taste. The amount of phosphoric acid is pretty small and you
would need to drink a lot of soda to really screw up your bones with
phosphorus. Real problems are tooth decay and getting fat, or
children substituting soft drinks for milk.

Old March 25th 06, 05:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-03-25, Pat penned:

I haven't drunk a Coke (nor any other soft drink, for that matter)
since childhood, maybe age 7-8, when I witnessed my father using it
to dissolve corrosion around a battery terminal.

Pat -- my father did the same thing with a mixture of baking soda and
water.

I don't think baking soda is that bad for you (and if it is, we'll
have to stop eating anything baked!).

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old March 25th 06, 05:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote

I haven't drunk a Coke (nor any other soft drink, for that matter)
since childhood, maybe age 7-8, when I witnessed my father using it
to dissolve corrosion around a battery terminal.

Pat -- my father did the same thing with a mixture of baking soda and
water.

I don't think baking soda is that bad for you (and if it is, we'll
have to stop eating anything baked!).

Would baking soda dissolve the calcium in a water heater?