Which books did you hate that you still read all the way through?OK, way OT, but fascinating

Old March 26th 11, 01:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
tanadashoes

Default Which books did you hate that you still read all the way through?OK, way OT, but fascinating

I've read Herman Melville's "Moby Dick" understood the plot, meaning and
so forth and hated it. Ray Bradbury wrote some of my favorite books,
but "Something Wicked This Way Comes" is not one of them. Carolyn
Hart's Ghost and Henry O series are not among my favorites, although
I'll read them if desperate. JD Salanger's "Catcher In The Rye" sucked
in my opinion. I hated "Lord Of The Flies" but it was exquisitely
written. I know there are others, but I'm sure that you'll remind me of
them with your replies
Old March 26th 11, 01:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"tanadashoes" wrote in message
m...
I've read Herman Melville's "Moby Dick" understood the plot, meaning and
so forth and hated it. Ray Bradbury wrote some of my favorite books, but
"Something Wicked This Way Comes" is not one of them. Carolyn Hart's
Ghost and Henry O series are not among my favorites, although I'll read
them if desperate. JD Salanger's "Catcher In The Rye" sucked in my
opinion. I hated "Lord Of The Flies" but it was exquisitely written. I
know there are others, but I'm sure that you'll remind me of them with
your replies

Many, many years ago, I took a creative writing course at a community
college. The instructor said, "Ray Bradbury has written everything from
pure trash to exquisite literature." I'm not sure if my choices would agree
with hers, but I've certainly found that I loved some of his works and
disliked others.

I didn't like "Catcher in the Rye" or "Lord of the Flies" either. I found
"Catcher" boring.

Joy

Old March 26th 11, 07:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Rockinghorse Winner[_5_]

* It may have been the liquor talking, but
Joy wrote:

[...]

Most books that people recommend I dislike but read because I feel dishonest
if I don't. Is not like you can say, 'I started it, but I hated it,' when
they ask how you liked the book they lent you! LOL!

*R* *H*
--
Powered by Linux |/ 2.6.32.26-175 Fedora 12
"No spyware. No viruses. No nags." |/ 2.6.31.12-0.2 OpenSUSE 11.2
Old March 26th 11, 07:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Rockinghorse Winner" wrote in message
Joy wrote:

[...]

Nobody (other than the library) lends me books except my kids. They usually
know what I like, and I can tell them if I don't care for something.
Actually, I remember one book my daughter lent me years ago. It was "That
Fatal Shore", and is about the history of Australia. After I confessed that
I couldn't get past the first chapter, my daughter told me she and her
husband couldn't either, and that I didn't need to return it. Giving up
books, even if I don't like them, is very painful for me, so I still had the
book several years later when I decided to visit Australia. I tried again,
and this time found that this time it did hold my interest, once I got into
it.

Joy

Old March 26th 11, 08:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Joy wrote:

"tanadashoes" wrote in message

JD Salanger's "Catcher In The Rye" sucked in my
opinion. I hated "Lord Of The Flies" but it was exquisitely written.

I remember enjoying "Catcher in the Rye" when I read it, but I doubt
I'll read it again. On the other hand, I read "Lord of the Flies" in
8th grade and *loved* it. Yes, it's very dark, but I like that kind
of stuff. I should probably read it again, but I'll probably just be
lazy and watch the movie again. (The more recent one, although that
was with American kids, which seems odd to me. If Piggy isn't saying
"Me specs! Me specs!" it's not Lord of the Flies. )

Joyce

--
A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.
Old March 26th 11, 10:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"tanadashoes" wrote in message
m...
I've read Herman Melville's "Moby Dick" understood the plot, meaning and
so forth and hated it. Ray Bradbury wrote some of my favorite books, but
"Something Wicked This Way Comes" is not one of them. Carolyn Hart's
Ghost and Henry O series are not among my favorites, although I'll read
them if desperate. JD Salanger's "Catcher In The Rye" sucked in my
opinion. I hated "Lord Of The Flies" but it was exquisitely written. I
know there are others, but I'm sure that you'll remind me of them with
your replies

Sorry, hasn't happened. This is why I don't join a book club. They tell
you what to read (usually something Oprah recommended) then you have to sit
around and discuss it. Sorry, but I find that boring. Don't tell me what
to read!

Having said that, I liked Catcher in the Rye but I don't consider it a
"classic" by any stretch of the imagination. I think it was an assignment
in high school literature class. That was over 30 years ago so you'll have
to forgive me if I forget why I read it I enjoyed Moby Dick. I also
like poetry. The Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner by Samuel Taylor Coleridge is
one of my favourites.

But if I don't like a book I put it down and start on a new one. I don't
finish it.

Jill

Old March 26th 11, 03:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
news[_3_]

"Joy" wrote in message
"Rockinghorse Winner" wrote in message

Nobody (other than the library) lends me books except my kids. They
usually know what I like, and I can tell them if I don't care for
something. Actually, I remember one book my daughter lent me years ago.
It was "That Fatal Shore", and is about the history of Australia. After I
confessed that I couldn't get past the first chapter, my daughter told me
she and her husband couldn't either, and that I didn't need to return it.
Giving up books, even if I don't like them, is very painful for me, so I
still had the book several years later when I decided to visit Australia.
I tried again, and this time found that this time it did hold my interest,
once I got into it.

Joy

A friend lent me "That Fatal Shore" years ago, and I enjoyed it.
Hated "Catcher". The main character is such a whiner.
My mom also lends me tons of books, lots of which are Oprah book club type
books, and I read them so I can discuss them with her, but I generally do
not like them either, although they are quite popular. "The Reader" and "The
Time Traveler's Wife" are two such books.

As for "Something Wicked This Way Comes", try the movie. It's one of my
favorites, mainly because Jonathan Pryce is in it.

Old March 26th 11, 03:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley[_4_]

On Mar 26, 7:33*am, "news" wrote:
and "The
Time Traveler's Wife"

What is it with that book? everyone I know likes it- a friend even
gave me a copy she saw in the charity shop because she was sure I'd
love it and usually anything she recommends is good- she's introduced
me to a couple of favourite authors of mine. I tried but after page 5
I gave up! (And I don't usually give up that quickly)

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs
Old March 26th 11, 06:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley Madigan

On Mar 26, 10:45*am, Judith Latham
wrote:

I loved the idea of "The Time Traveller's wife" but I just haven't been
able to get into it despite trying three times.

So glad it isn't just me!