Which books did you hate that you still read all the way through?OK, way OT, but fascinating

Old March 27th 11, 03:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default Which books did you hate that you still read all the way through? OK, way OT, but fascinating

Rockinghorse Winner wrote:

Most books that people recommend I dislike but read because I feel dishonest
if I don't. Is not like you can say, 'I started it, but I hated it,' when
they ask how you liked the book they lent you! LOL!

Sure you can! I mean, with some people it's probably better to be
diplomatic and say "I couldn't get into it" rather than "That was a pile
of trash, how could you even own such a book?" But IMO life's too
short to spend it reading things you don't enjoy, just so your friends
won't be offended. And even if they are, they'll get over it.

Joyce

--
A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.
Old March 27th 11, 04:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

On 26/03/2011 16:45, Lesley wrote:
On Mar 26, 7:33 am, wrote:
and "The
Time Traveler's Wife"

What is it with that book? everyone I know likes it- a friend even
gave me a copy she saw in the charity shop because she was sure I'd
love it and usually anything she recommends is good- she's introduced
me to a couple of favourite authors of mine. I tried but after page 5
I gave up! (And I don't usually give up that quickly)

I haven't read it but I've heard of it and went to Amazon to look for
it, and look what I found! This looks much more interesting: a series
with a time-travelling cat!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_...ng+cat&x=0&y=0

--
Marina, Miranda and Caliban.
In loving memory of Frank and Nikki.

Old March 27th 11, 06:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

On Mar 26, 7:33 am, wrote:
and "The
Time Traveler's Wife"

What is it with that book? everyone I know likes it- a friend even
gave me a copy she saw in the charity shop because she was sure I'd
love it and usually anything she recommends is good- she's introduced
me to a couple of favourite authors of mine. I tried but after page 5
I gave up! (And I don't usually give up that quickly)

I haven't read it but I've heard of it and went to Amazon to look for it,
and look what I found! This looks much more interesting: a series with a
time-travelling cat!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_...ng+cat&x=0&y=0

--
Marina, Miranda and Caliban.
In loving memory of Frank and Nikki.

Have you read any of Connie Willis's time travel books? I thought her
"Doomsday Book" was excellent. However, the latest two-book saga is even
better: "Blackout" and "All Clear". It can get a little confusing, because
there is a lot of jumping around, both in time and place. I don't recommend
reading just one of them. You need both to make sense out of things, and
even then it's tricky, but worth it. I actually reread them a couple of
days after I finished the second one, to figure out some of the things that
had me puzzled. If I weren't so lazy, I'd have made a spreadsheet so I
could keep track of the characters. It was well worth the confusion,
though.

Joy

Old March 27th 11, 06:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Joy wrote:

Have you read any of Connie Willis's time travel books? I thought her
"Doomsday Book" was excellent. However, the latest two-book saga is even
better: "Blackout" and "All Clear".

I'm going to check these out. I haven't read any of her books, but I
have read several of her short stories, and they're always good. And I
love time-travel stories.

It can get a little confusing, because
there is a lot of jumping around, both in time and place. I don't recommend
reading just one of them. You need both to make sense out of things, and
even then it's tricky, but worth it. I actually reread them a couple of
days after I finished the second one, to figure out some of the things that
had me puzzled. If I weren't so lazy, I'd have made a spreadsheet so I
could keep track of the characters. It was well worth the confusion,
though.

That's not lazy, Joy - that's just normal. If you *had* made a
spreadsheet, I'd be worried about you.

Joyce

--
Cats' hearing apparatus is built to allow the human voice to easily
go in one ear and out the other. -- Stephen Baker

Old March 27th 11, 11:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

Marina wrote:

I haven't read it but I've heard of it and went to Amazon to look for
it, and look what I found! This looks much more interesting: a series
with a time-travelling cat!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_...ng+cat&x=0&y=0

I wonder if that will be as good as it sounds.

--
Adrian
Old March 27th 11, 03:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

wrote in message
Rockinghorse Winner wrote:

Most books that people recommend I dislike but read because I feel
dishonest
if I don't. Is not like you can say, 'I started it, but I hated it,'
when
they ask how you liked the book they lent you! LOL!

Sure you can! I mean, with some people it's probably better to be
diplomatic and say "I couldn't get into it" rather than "That was a pile
of trash, how could you even own such a book?" But IMO life's too
short to spend it reading things you don't enjoy, just so your friends
won't be offended. And even if they are, they'll get over it.

Joyce

I agree! Years ago my mother would send me books that I hated. Books by
Maeve Binchy and Jackie Collins. Sorry, but I don't read that stuff. I
finally told her to stop sending me those books. She didn't mind. She
appreciated my honesty.

I remember being very insulted by a guy where I worked. (I didn't work
*with* him, his office was in the same building.) I was sitting outside on
my break reading. Just to strike up conversation he said, "Romance novel?"
Oh, this is soooo not the right way to start a conversation with me!
Romance novel? Excuse me? Please don't assume because I'm a woman the only
thing I read is romance novels!

I told him no, I prefer something where someone gets killed in the first
couple of chapters.

Jill

Old March 27th 11, 05:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley Madigan

On Mar 26, 10:00*pm, "Joy" wrote:
In loving memory of Frank and Nikki.

Have you read any of Connie Willis's time travel books? *I thought her
"Doomsday Book" was excellent. *However, the latest two-book saga is even
better: *"Blackout" and "All Clear". *

Thanks for the heads up I loved "Doomsday Book"- so I'll add the other
two to my wish list on Amazon (Trying not to buy too many books at the
moment- what with not knowing if I'll have a job 48 hours from now and
a number of household appliances having a race to see which one dies
first I am trying to save some pennies)

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs
Old March 27th 11, 05:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
tanadashoes

On 3/26/2011 1:45 PM, Judith Latham wrote:
In , wrote:

wrote in message
"Rockinghorse wrote in
message ...

Nobody (other than the library) lends me books except my kids. They
usually know what I like, and I can tell them if I don't care for
something. Actually, I remember one book my daughter lent me years
ago. It was "That Fatal Shore", and is about the history of
Australia. After I confessed that I couldn't get past the first
chapter, my daughter told me she and her husband couldn't either, and
that I didn't need to return it. Giving up books, even if I don't
like them, is very painful for me, so I still had the book several
years later when I decided to visit Australia. I tried again, and
this time found that this time it did hold my interest, once I got
into it.

Joy

A friend lent me "That Fatal Shore" years ago, and I enjoyed it. Hated
"Catcher". The main character is such a whiner. My mom also lends me
tons of books, lots of which are Oprah book club type books, and I read
them so I can discuss them with her, but I generally do not like them
either, although they are quite popular. "The Reader" and "The Time
Traveler's Wife" are two such books.

As for "Something Wicked This Way Comes", try the movie. It's one of my
favorites, mainly because Jonathan Pryce is in it.

I loved the idea of "The Time Traveller's wife" but I just haven't been
able to get into it despite trying three times.

I'll look out that movie though.

Judith

There must be something wrong with me as I found it fascinating. The
headers at the beginning of the passages telling the ages of the two
main characters helped me keep my mind organized with the events.

Pam S
Old March 27th 11, 06:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley Madigan

On Mar 27, 7:30*am, "jmcquown" wrote:

I told him no, I prefer something where someone gets killed in the first
couple of chapters.

Ali, came in one day and said "Are you having lunch?" (what was the
giveaway? The half eaten sandwich? The cup of tea? The fact I was
reading a book?) so I said I was but what could I do for her anyway?
(sandwiches don't go cold after all) and she said "What's the
book?" (She's a big reader) so I showed her....

Note to self: People will think you are weird if your idea of
lunchtime reading is "Current Methods of Autopsy Practice" (I'm
fascinated by forensic medicine and our hospital library has a good
selection)