Science Diet vs Felidae

Old February 9th 05, 03:11 PM
Kevin McMurtrie

Default Science Diet vs Felidae

Hi. My vet carries Science Diet, and of course, he claims that it is
the best cat food available. I've heard great things about Felidae. Is
it better that Science Diet, or is that hype too?

Thanks.

Kevin

Old February 9th 05, 09:03 PM
PawsForThought via CatKB.com

If your vet is selling Hill's, then he has a vested interest in pushing it.
If I had a choice, I would definitely take Felidae over Science Diet. I
know people who feed Felidae and their cats seem to like it and do well on
it. Plus it isn't loaded with corn and wheat, like Science Diet.

Lauren

Old February 9th 05, 09:28 PM
Joe Canuck

PawsForThought via CatKB.com wrote:

If your vet is selling Hill's, then he has a vested interest in pushing it.
If I had a choice, I would definitely take Felidae over Science Diet. I
know people who feed Felidae and their cats seem to like it and do well on
it. Plus it isn't loaded with corn and wheat, like Science Diet.

Lauren

A nice large unhealth dose of phosphorus in Felidae would seem to
suggest that perhaps a lower quality of meat was used. Where is the
phosphorus coming from?

So while Felidae does contain a lot of meat that isn't necessarily a
good thing.
Old February 10th 05, 12:06 AM
Phil P.

"Kevin McMurtrie "
wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi. My vet carries Science Diet, and of course, he claims that it is
the best cat food available. I've heard great things about Felidae. Is
it better that Science Diet, or is that hype too?

Between the two, Science Diet is nutritionally the better food.

Felidae Canned Original contains 279 mg of phosphorus per 100 kcals. That
translates into a whopping 500 mg/day for a cat with a daily energy
requirement of 180 kcal. Felidae Dry is also higher in phosphorus.

Aside from the potentially detrimental effects of excess phosphorus on renal
function, excess phosphorus usually indicates a poor quality meat source
(contains a lot of bone and connective tissue).

You can buy all Hill's Science Diet products, except prescription diets, at
most pet stores probably for a lot less than from your vet.

Phil

Old February 10th 05, 12:12 AM
Phil P.

"Joe Canuck" wrote in message
PawsForThought via CatKB.com wrote:

If your vet is selling Hill's, then he has a vested interest in pushing

it.
If I had a choice, I would definitely take Felidae over Science Diet. I
know people who feed Felidae and their cats seem to like it and do well

on
it. Plus it isn't loaded with corn and wheat, like Science Diet.

Lauren

A nice large unhealth dose of phosphorus in Felidae would seem to
suggest that perhaps a lower quality of meat was used. Where is the
phosphorus coming from?

Bone!

The upside of excess phosphorus is that you won't have any trouble finding
your cat at night because she'll be glowing! LOL!

So while Felidae does contain a lot of meat that isn't necessarily a
good thing.

I don't have the ash levels of Felidae handy, do you?

Phil

Old February 10th 05, 12:02 PM
Joe Canuck

Phil P. wrote:

[...]