Vino's sprung!

Old May 12th 06, 08:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Vino's sprung!

"Tanada" wrote in message
k.net...
Kathryn wrote:

Ahh, the only game show I love! Andrew O'Keefe is a great presenter. I
love his ties.

Kathryn

In Merika "Deal Or No Deal" is hosted by Howie Mandel. The kids loved him
when he was doing "Bobby's World." Mike used to be able to imitate
Howie's voice for Bobby. Mandel used to have an afro, now he's bald., a
big change for me. He still has that whacked out sense of humor, though.

Pam S. would love to see DOND in various parts of the world.

Charlie and I both sit and watch the show. Even though I believe it is the
most absurd concept for an hour long show to come along in a great while.

But I have to give it Mandel. He makes the show. Night after night and for
an hour at a time. I think its just amazing.

Jo

Old May 12th 06, 08:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Tanada" wrote:

In Merika "Deal Or No Deal" is hosted by Howie Mandel. The kids
loved him when he was doing "Bobby's World." Mike used to be able
to imitate Howie's voice for Bobby. Mandel used to have an afro,
now he's bald., a big change for me. He still has that whacked
out sense of humor, though.

Hey Pam, do you remember him from St. Elsewhere? I watched that show
religiously in the 80s. He played an ER doc, if I remember correctly.
That was the first I'd ever heard of him.

Joyce
Old May 13th 06, 12:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Tanada wrote:

Funny enough, the Weird Al video "Like a Surgeon" was filmed using the
cast of St. Elsewhere.

It *was*??? Oh wow - one of my friends has a DVD of Weird Al videos,
and I'm pretty sure that one is on it. But I guess we didn't watch it,
because I definitely would have recognized them, and I would remember
having seen it! Oooooo, I have to see it now.

Joyce
Old May 13th 06, 12:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default More about St. Elsewhere

Tanada wrote:

One of my favorite actors, William Daniels, played one of the
surgeons on it.

I was fond of Luther, one of the orderlies. That actor directed a number
of the episodes, especially toward the end of the series. One of the
episodes in particular sticks out in my mind, as one of the best in the
series, which he directed. (I have that one on tape - I think it's time
to watch it again!)

I also liked the character played by ... eek, I've completely blanked
on his name. He was one of the 3 older guys who ran the hospital, the
one with the deceased wife and autistic son. In real life that actor
committed suicide, I think. Which doesn't surprise me that much - he
wore the same grimace week after week. He was a glum actor playing a glum
guy, and while I didn't think the acting itself was spectacular, I did
enjoy the glum character.

That show had a number of goofball characters on it, though, didn't
it? I mean, Ed Begley Jr, how annoying was he? And that airheaded woman
who got raped and had a breakdown - I couldn't stand the way she talked.
On the other hand, the show did launch a few careers - I mean, look at
Denzel Washington. He's such a star that it's hard to remember that he
was once on that show.

Joyce
Old May 13th 06, 01:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 12 May 2006 23:34:35 GMT, yodeled:

Tanada wrote:

[...]

Ed Flanders? He was a fine actor. He did a lot of Eugene O'Neill on
stage, which now that I think of it, isn't exactly cheerful either.

That show had a number of goofball characters on it, though, didn't
it? I mean, Ed Begley Jr, how annoying was he? And that airheaded woman
who got raped and had a breakdown - I couldn't stand the way she talked.
On the other hand, the show did launch a few careers - I mean, look at
Denzel Washington. He's such a star that it's hard to remember that he
was once on that show.

Joyce

I remember my mom was very struck by him. She would put on the show,
and make embarassing noises at the screen when he came on.

Theresa
Stinky Pictures:
http://community.webshots.com/album/125591586JWEFwh

Make Levees, Not War
Old May 13th 06, 01:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Fri, 12 May 2006 21:29:34 GMT, Tanada
yodeled:

wrote:

"Tanada" wrote:

In Merika "Deal Or No Deal" is hosted by Howie Mandel. The kids
loved him when he was doing "Bobby's World." Mike used to be able
to imitate Howie's voice for Bobby. Mandel used to have an afro,
now he's bald., a big change for me. He still has that whacked
out sense of humor, though.

Hey Pam, do you remember him from St. Elsewhere? I watched that show
religiously in the 80s. He played an ER doc, if I remember correctly.
That was the first I'd ever heard of him.

Joyce

I remember him and St. Elsewhere. It was a really quirky show. One of
my favorite actors, William Daniels, played one of the surgeons on it.
Funny enough, the Weird Al video "Like a Surgeon" was filmed using the
cast of St. Elsewhere. I think it was one od Weird Al's better videos.

Pam S.

Weird Al's lyrics have been substituted in my mind for all those '80d
songs that he parodied. For me, the song IS "Eat it."

Theresa

Make Levees, Not War
Old May 13th 06, 03:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Kreisleriana wrote:

Ed Flanders? He was a fine actor. He did a lot of Eugene O'Neill on
stage, which now that I think of it, isn't exactly cheerful either.

Ahhhhhhhh *thank you*! You know how that is when you can't remember
a name, it drives you nuts.

Yeah, I can picture him doing O'Neill. His character on St. E had absolutely
no sense of humor - he was too busy carrying the weight of the world on
his shoulders. He barely even cracked a smile, except occasionally a sort
of rueful smile that was more ironic than anything else.

I've never seen him in anything else, though. But I didn't mean to say
he was a bad actor, I just wasn't bowled over the way I am with some other
actors. But hey, it was TV. And his character was compelling, probably
because of the way he played him, as much as how the char was written.

Joyce
Old May 13th 06, 03:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Jo Firey wrote:
"Tanada" wrote in message
k.net...
Kathryn wrote:

Ahh, the only game show I love! Andrew O'Keefe is a great
presenter. I love his ties.

Kathryn

In Merika "Deal Or No Deal" is hosted by Howie Mandel. The kids
loved him when he was doing "Bobby's World." Mike used to be able
to imitate Howie's voice for Bobby. Mandel used to have an afro,
now he's bald., a big change for me. He still has that whacked out
sense of humor, though. Pam S. would love to see DOND in various
parts of the world.

Charlie and I both sit and watch the show. Even though I believe it
is the most absurd concept for an hour long show to come along in a
great while.
But I have to give it Mandel. He makes the show. Night after night
and for an hour at a time. I think its just amazing.

Jo

It is only a 1/2 hour show in Australia, but it is on 6 days a week.
It's been on here for years, because I remember watching it when we came
here before on holidays.
--
Britta
Purring is an automatic safety valve device for dealing with happiness