Whiskas Cat Food

Old March 10th 07, 12:10 AM posted to alt.animals.cat,alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
studio

Default Whiskas Cat Food

On Mar 9, 6:17 pm, "Upscale" wrote:
"Nicolaas Hawkins" wrote in message

Ever read about the "food grade plaster" they put in Twinkies?
I would imagine the researchers don't swallow it though if they have
to taste a lot of it.

Plaster? That sounds like it could be a bit of a "set up" :-\

Sounds like it might be close to what kids use to use for gluing paper
together which is a little flour and water to make a type of paste.

No, it's one of those minerals (trona) that companies don't like to
talk about.
Trona is mined deep under the earth in Wyoming.
It's the raw ingredient for baking soda, and also called calcium
sulfate after
it's been processed.
It has been described as "food grade plaster of paris".

Or how about "ferrous sulfate"?
Another iron mineral used for enriched flour, vitamin pills...
disinfectants and weed killers.

We could try and discuss the other 39 barely pronouceable ingredients
in a Twinkie, but suffice it to say; it's not the cake anyones mother
ever
made.
People weren't meant to consume large amounts of polysorbate 60,
diacetyl...both of which is partly derived from...

take a guess...

come on now, really try...

ok, give up?...

petroluem oil...that black stuff from the middle east.

Gotta feed the masses somehow.
Who said Soylent Green was all that bad?

Old March 10th 07, 12:17 AM posted to alt.animals.cat,alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Upscale

"studio" wrote in message

Gotta feed the masses somehow.
Who said Soylent Green was all that bad?

Well, to be truthful, I've got a female neighbour I'd sure like to eat
before she was converted into Soylent Green.

Old March 10th 07, 12:27 AM posted to alt.animals.cat,alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jo Firey

"studio" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Mar 9, 6:17 pm, "Upscale" wrote:
[...]

I still remember waiting to walk in to see that movie. And the looks on the
peoples faces coming out that had just seen it.

Jo

Old March 10th 07, 12:28 AM posted to alt.animals.cat,alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin - bogus address

Ever read about the "food grade plaster" they put in Twinkies?
I would imagine the researchers don't swallow it though if they have
to taste a lot of it.

Plaster? That sounds like it could be a bit of a "set up" :-\

Sounds like it might be close to what kids use to use for gluing paper
together which is a little flour and water to make a type of paste.

It will be plaster of paris, calcium sulfate. Cats need a high
calcium intake, and bonemeal is no longer usable because of BSE.
So they're using a mineral substitute.

This came up in a discussion in another Usenet group (either
alt.folklore.urban or ed.general, the Edinburgh local newsgroup).
A generation ago, you would often see old white dog****s on the
streets. You don't any more - dog**** just melts away without
metamorphosing into the durable white form. It turns out that
this is because of mad cow disease - the white stuff was just
undigested ground-up cow bone, which they can't add to dogfood
any more.

Old March 10th 07, 12:42 AM posted to alt.animals.cat,alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
William Graham

"studio" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Mar 9, 1:43 pm, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
I don't feed my cats on Whiskas as I once heard that "get them on Whiskas
and they won't eat anything else." I don't know if it's true but I
didn't
want to risk it! You seem to confirm it in the case of Indy.

I'm glad I don't have that problem with Big Mama.
She'll eat almost any of the dry hardtacks.
I've fed her the different varieties of Purina, Iams, Whiskas,
Friskies and probably
a couple others I can't think of at the moment.
The one thing I do notice is in the size of the hardtack. If it's too
small, she will
swallow many of them whole, which is not good for them to do.

But when it comes to her wet food...Fancy Feast is her favorite.
One time at the grocery store, I was getting her FF tins, and there
was a lady
there looking at all the different varieties trying to make her mind
up which ones
her kitty might like. I said to her; "just buy one of each, she's
bound to like at least one".
My grocery store must have about 30 different types of FF tins there.
(I usually buy 15-24 tins at a time, and get a good mixture...she
likes them all).

What I *do* know - because Whiskas is produced at a large factory only 12
miles away from where I live (and I know people who work there) - is that
the nutrition of it is very well researched. They actually employ
people,
too, whose job it is to *taste* it. Ewwww.

I've tasted them before...very bland...but it's mostly just fortified
corn/wheat meal.
Won't hurt you...and may be better than many things people eat.
Ever read about the "food grade plaster" they put in Twinkies?
I would imagine the researchers don't swallow it though if they have
to taste a lot
of it.

Reminds me of the "ice cream" that comes from these stainless steel machines
like toothpaste out of a tube.....Unlike normal ice cream it remains a
"solid" at room temperature.....for some reason, people seem to love
it......I can't understand why the general population always seems to
gravitate toward the bottom of the barrel......This stuff is probably 100%
coal tar.....For sure it contains neither ice, nor cream........I have two
tests for real food. Either the cats or the ants have to eat it. If neither
of those will eat it, then I throw it away...:^)

Old March 10th 07, 12:44 AM posted to alt.animals.cat,alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
William Graham

"Upscale" wrote in message

"Nicolaas Hawkins" wrote in message

Ever read about the "food grade plaster" they put in Twinkies?
I would imagine the researchers don't swallow it though if they have
to taste a lot of it.

Plaster? That sounds like it could be a bit of a "set up" :-\

Sounds like it might be close to what kids use to use for gluing paper
together which is a little flour and water to make a type of paste.

I also love that brown candle wax they call "chocolate" that they put on
their cupcakes......

Old March 10th 07, 12:57 AM posted to alt.animals.cat,alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Jack Campin - bogus address" wrote in message
[...]

No. It's nothing to do with mad cow disease. It's because of the shortage
of *real* butchers so we can't get bones for our dogs to chomp on.
It was so nice to go to the butcher's shop for mince and to say "a couple of
marrow bones for the dogs, please."
White poo resulted :-)

Tweed
P.S. One of my dogs got so excited about his bone that he almost exhausted
himself chewing on it 24/7. I noticed he was panting with effort so I took
it away and just allowed him to have it 8 hrs/day. Perfect.

Old March 10th 07, 01:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
---MIKE---

Scott asked:

I am wondering if the Whiskas is as
healthy for him as Friskies is.

Neither one is as healthy as Wellness, Innova, or Nutro.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Old March 10th 07, 01:16 AM posted to alt.cats,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ketzl's Dad

On Fri, 9 Mar 2007 19:57:58 -0500, Christina Websell wrote:

White poo resulted :-)

Is *that* where white poo came from??? I never knew that.
And now I know why I don't see it any more. OMG.
Today's epiphany.

--
Joey DoWop Dee
Remember: It is To Laugh

Old March 10th 07, 01:24 AM posted to alt.animals.cat,alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Magic Mood JeepŠ

In ,
William Graham purred:
snippage
I have two tests for real food. Either the cats or
the ants have to eat it. If neither of those will eat it, then I
throw it away...:^)

Reminds we a while back, at DQ (Dairy Queen) they used to have a "Mr. Misty
Freeze". Mr. Mist was like a slushy (flavored syrup added to crushed ice)
but more watery. The "freeze" part added to the name was that they would
add some of their soft-serve 'ice cream' to it, and mix it up. DH used to
*LOVE* these things, until I dropped one in the driveway once, and it the
pink goop was still there in the driveway the next morning. AND IT HAD
RAINED A BIT DURING THE NIGHT. And no ants trying to gobble it up, either.

Ants didn't want it (and our drive is gravel, so not hot blacktop/tar to
deter them). Rain didn't wash it away.

He didn't have one for several years after that.