Coyotes

Old November 5th 03, 03:41 PM

Default Coyotes

Well, for those following my workplace cat colony adventures:

We've just spent the last three weeks trapping the dumped intact cats
and all their litters. We have socialized seven wonderful kittens.
They're up for adoption now. They make my heart bigger; I've laughed
like I haven't laughed in years.

We've vaccinated and altered four trapped intact adults, one of whom
has turned out to be the most mellow, terrific cat. He was most
certainly somebody's pet. He gets along well with the other cats and
loves to play. When the abcess over his right eye heals, he will make
an amazing addition to someone's home. It boggles the mind that anyone
would abandon a loving animal like this, he is so personable. There are
still two more adult breeders left to catch, but they are so wiley and
trap-wary that even starving them didn't work. So I'm trying to gain
their trust and dependence, and then I'll try trapping again.

None of the previous regulars in my colony has shown up again. I think
they may be lost to me. I pine every day for the ones who became close
to me, but I think I know what happened to them: on the night we
released the newly-altered ferals, we saw not one, but two coyotes. One
was huge for a coyote; must have weighed at least forty pounds. The
other was smaller, but they were both brazen.

The first one, the large one, showed up very early, around 6:15 PM.
This is in a suburban setting. He trotted calmly, but alertly through
an active parking lot (!), straight to the feeding station in the
bushes. Once I picked my jaw up off the ground, I pulled the car around
and shined my highbeams right at him...no effect. He couldn't have
cared less. I blew my horn. That made him move a little deeper into the
bushes, but I could still see him quite plainly.

He didn't leave until I got out (with pepper spray and flashlight in
hand) and noisily approached the station. Then he took off--but not in
a panic--through an empty parking lot bordering ours, disappearing into
the woods on the far side.

Later, when I returned with the food around 9 PM, I saw the smaller
one. This one passed so close to me (I actually thought it was coming
_to_ me like a domestic dog might, and this time I didn't have the
pepper spray with me) I could clearly see its mangy, patchy fur
discolored by the sodium parking lot lights, dangling tongue and *very*
sharp-looking teeth as it veered away from me. Geez, they have HUGE
ears. And they are completely silent, there is no sound when they move.

I have to wonder if they've been there all along and I just never saw
them before. Were they waiting patiently, concealed in the shadows
while I fed and sweet-talked my ferals all these years? When I left
food behind, did the coyotes think I was leaving it for them? Is it
possible that's why they didn't attack the cats? Could they be showing
up because I took the food away while trapping? Could they think of me
like the cats do: a benefactor?

In the more macro sense, is it possible my feeding station could be
attracting these animals and endangering the surrounding homes, their
kids and pets? I carry pepper spray; how many suburban little kids do?
People walk their dogs, big and little, past the feeding station all
the time, all hours of day and night. Coyotes in this town have made
the local news for taking a pet cat from its yard while the horrified
owner was just meters away in broad daylight.

The whole thing is making my head spin. I've begun grieving for my lost
ferals. Could the coyotes have attacked them because I restricted the
food to trap the newcomers? My reaction to the coyotes' presence is
viscerally negative; I hate them if they've hurt my babies. But I also
know that nature's way isn't pretty sometimes. But I'm also concerned
about what's next. First, there were raccoons, then skunk, now coyotes.
Should I look forward to wolf? Bear? Mountain lion?

Has anyone here dealt with this kind situation? Should I move the
feeding station into the fenced-off area of the parking lot (for
employees only)? There's no protection from the elements there,
although there are some sparse landscaping bushes for concealment. The
fence is only six feet high, so I'm pretty sure coyotes could jump it
if they were motivated. I don't want to attract them into the fenced
area; it would cause me and the ferals no end of trouble at work if
coyotes were spotted in the parking lot.

I could use some good expert advice here.
Old November 5th 03, 06:33 PM
Mary

Wow, you really have a problem there. The cat food and the cats are attracting
the coyotes. In the wild they will eat rabbits and ground squirrels primarily.
If given the opportunity, they prefer to eat cats because they're easier to
catch. You've basically attracted a bunch of coyotes to that area. They're
eating the food and the cats, coyote heaven. This is tough but if you trap and
relocate the coyotes, others will come and take their place. You may have to
move your colony or else the truly feral ones left will be eaten :-( Those
coyotes sound well fed and have lost fear of humans. They may approach others
in that area. If people find out it's you who attracted the coyotes, you could
be fined and arrested. It's a misdemeanor here in CA to feed predator species.
The second time you get arrested as a felony. I'm so sorry you are going
through this especially as you are doing the right thing by the cats.

COYOTE (canis latrans)

The coyote weighs 20-30 pounds and stands 23 to 26 inches at the shoulder. In
appearance, the coyote looks similar to a tan colored shepherd-type dog with
long pointed muzzle, large ears and long legs.

The coyote is an extremely intelligent predator than has adapted to living in
close proximity to humans. Coyotes, whose natural habitat is the Los Angeles
basin, have adjusted to the shrinking habitat by living closer to humans,
sometimes in residential areas, parks and on the landscaped areas of the
freeway system.

Coyotes use the flood control channels, freeways, hillside erosion gutters,
city streets and sidewalks as a convenient means of travel. They find an
abundant source of water from swimming pools, gutters, leaking hose faucets and
sprinkler heads, bird baths and pet water dishes in residential areas.

Although the coyote is an excellent hunter, feeding primarily on rats, mice,
ground squirrels, rabbits, insects, carrion and fruit, it will not hesitate to
kill cats, small dogs, poultry, sheep or goats given the opportunity. They
learn that domestic animals are easier to catch than wild prey and will prowl
neighborhoods in search of unattended domestic animals.

WHAT YOU CAN DO TO PROTECT YOUR FAMILY, PETS, POULTRY AND LIVESTOCK

Coyotes are capable of scaling fences up to six feet high. They will also dig
under fences. They can be deterred by increasing the height of fencing to a
total of at least eight feet and facing it outward at an 45 degree angle. Bury
the bottom of the fence at least six to twelve inches underground to prevent
the coyote from digging underneath. There is also a rolling bar that can be
placed on the top of an existing fence which will keep them from coming in. A
covered enclosure set up with a pet door will permit your pet to go safely
outdoors.

Chickens, rabbits and other small animals often kept outdoors should be kept in
well protected areas and in sturdy cages at night. Cages made of chicken wire
will not keep desperate coyotes or other predators from entering. Stronger
gauge wiring is a necessity in protecting these small animals.

DO:

*Keep your cat or small dog indoors at night or any other time a coyote is in
the area.
*Accompany your small dog in a well lighted area at night for walks
*Walk your dog on a leash whenever you take it off your property
*Confine poultry and rabbits in covered enclosures with heavy mesh wire.
Coyotes can break through chicken wire.
*Pick backyard fruit as soon as it ripens and keep rotten fruit off the ground.

DON'TS:

*Don't feed wild animals. It's illegal to feed predatory animals in the city of
Los Angeles
*Don't leave pet food outside, particularly at night
*Don't allow pets to roam from home, especially at night
*Don't leave water bowls for pets outdoors
*Don't leave garbage containers open
*Don't leave water in birdbaths or bird seed outdoors for songbirds.

Also, flashing lights, tape recorded human noises, scattered moth balls and
ammonia soaked rags strategically placed may deter coyotes from entering your
property.

Old November 6th 03, 01:59 AM
Sharon Talbert

About I can suggest is build coyote-proof feeding stations, large enough
for the cat to take shelter in. Alley Cat Allies' plan is pretty good,
though I recommend a "back door" with a clear lucite flap (outward
swinging).

Take the food away at night and leave it only during the day. This might
help, but the coyotes may not care one way or the other, if they are
already prowling opening during the day.

And be prepared to lose many of these cats. I am very sorry.

Just a few years ago, I looked out into my large backyard in North Seattle
to see a fully grown coyote trying to get into our feeding station.
Coyotes are everywhere. (One was taken from a downtown elevator not that
long ago; another lived on campus for a while, taking the campus cats.)

Sharon Talbert
Friends of Campus Cats
www.campuscats.org

Old November 8th 03, 05:45 PM
Mary

I could use some good expert advice here.

I was talking with a friend yesterday and they gave me this information. I
never knew this. "As for trapping cats and moving them, Once a person takes in
cats or removes them from a location in any manner that person now is the cats
custodian and if they release the cat anywhere they are now in violation of the
animal abandonment law (597s Penal Code)" He suggested the best thing to do is
get the cats to a cat rescue. Hopefully you can adopt out the friendly ones to
homes and maybe the true ferals can be adopted out spayed/neutered/vaccinated
for mouse patrol on people's property.

Old November 12th 03, 05:24 AM
Cat Protector

Here in Arizona, coyotes are quite common and because of drought and lack of
food they come into the city. They come looking for food and water sources.
The problem with coyotes is not always caused by nature. We humans are also
responsible as we keep building homes, apartments, and other buildings which
encroach on their territory. A couple of times my parents have had a coyote
scale their backyard wall. Both times the coyote was chased away. What you
need to do is make a total racket with them. Bang a stick on a pot or pan at
them. Water is also a repellent so turning the hose on them also works
sometimes. The best thing one can do to protect their cats is to simply keep
them indoors. I also agree that one should not feed the coyotes and leave
sources of food and water out for them. Coyotes have also been known to
attack small children so supervising them is also a good idea.

Cat Galaxy: All Cats, All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

---

Old November 12th 03, 06:00 PM
Linda Terrell

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 04:24:38 UTC, "Cat Protector"
wrote:

[...]

Here in the Tampa Bay area of Florida coyotes live in the cities.

LT