Pilling Envy!

Old January 3rd 06, 12:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Pilling Envy!

I told my daughter I have pilling envy. The last time I had to give Jessie
a pill, it took me, DH, and my daughter Erin to (try to) hold her. We put
the (tiny) pill in her throat about 27 times and she spit it out 27 times
until the pill was soggy and dripping off our fingers along with her drool.

Today Digger was given antibiotic pills about the size of half my pinky
finger. When it was time to pill him, I broke off a piece of roll, wrapped
it around the pill, and tossed it to him. It went down in a single gulp!

It's not fair!!!! ;

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old January 3rd 06, 02:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Mon, 2 Jan 2006 17:49:23 -0600, "CatNipped"
wrote:

I told my daughter I have pilling envy. The last time I had to give Jessie
a pill, it took me, DH, and my daughter Erin to (try to) hold her. We put
the (tiny) pill in her throat about 27 times and she spit it out 27 times
until the pill was soggy and dripping off our fingers along with her drool.

Today Digger was given antibiotic pills about the size of half my pinky
finger. When it was time to pill him, I broke off a piece of roll, wrapped
it around the pill, and tossed it to him. It went down in a single gulp!

It's not fair!!!! ;

Boy can I relate, Lori, to the problems of pilling a cat!! Lucy was
VERY sick as a small kitten and needed pilling. There were evenings
where ALL we did was take a pill. I just kept trying until the pill
was dissolved in my hand, then get another pill and keep at it. You
would think a sick kitten wouldn't put up so much of a fight but boy
howdy did she! So I know where you're comming from...She finally
learned that Mom was always going to win so we both got the hang of
it. I still need to give her an antihistamine daily and a prednisone
occassionally, so we both keep in practice. How wonderful it would be
to just wrap it in something and have it go down that easily!!

Hope Digger continues to improve!!

--Kim
Old January 3rd 06, 06:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Have you tried crushing a pill between 2 teaspoons and mixing it with
their favourite food? Otis's kidney tablets are yeast flavoured, I
give him one every evening with his dinner and he always eats it, I
just put a small amount of food down to make sure he gets all the pill,
then he can have his "seconds". Mind you, I have never had a problem
giving him his insulin shots either, I do it while he's eating, he's
such a docile old softie (apart from when I take him to TED that is!)
He's also very food-centric so this makes life easier. I remember
before I realised that leaving the cat carrier out all the time with a
nice cushion in it meant that he'd use it as one of his sleeping places
and thus not freak out when it came out of the cupboard, I used to put
a trail of biscuits (no longer allowed) going into the box and waited
for him to get in the box to get the last biscuit and then shut the
door (quickly to avoid me losing a finger), that only worked a couple
of times though before he got wise!

Marcia

Old January 3rd 06, 10:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-01-02, CatNipped penned:

Today Digger was given antibiotic pills about the size of half my
pinky finger. When it was time to pill him, I broke off a piece of
roll, wrapped it around the pill, and tossed it to him. It went
down in a single gulp!

It's not fair!!!! ;

Not all dogs are this easy to pill! My Puma (RB) was an ordeal. Even
if we wrapped his pill in cheese or peanut butter, he'd eat the food
and we'd later find the pill, which he'd obviously spat out.

I had to force him to sit against a wall, shove the pill into his
mouth as far as I could, and then stroke his throat until it was
obvious he had swallowed it.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old January 4th 06, 02:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
I had to force him to sit against a wall, shove the pill into his
mouth as far as I could, and then stroke his throat until it was
obvious he had swallowed it.

That's the same method I use to get Tinùviel take her pregnancy (or not)
pill every Monday, except I don't force her to sit against a wall. I just
lay her down on her back in my lap, and from there i follow Monique's
recipe.

The first two months were difficult, she did all she could to spit the pill
out or hide it underneath her tounge to be spat out later... That never
worked with me. After that she took the point, she knows I'm the strongest
of us, no use in fighting, now she is swallowing the pill as fast as she
can, just to finish it off. She also knows that if she is a good girl, I
will give her a treat afterwards.

I hope that her *real* owner, my ex-wife, will decide soon when Tinùviel is
going to have her last litter. After that she can be neutered, with no more
pills and no more cancer risk...

Hans

Pilling Fluffy SP Bev Cat anecdotes 8 November 29th 05 07:32 PM
The sin of envy Singh Cat anecdotes 7 May 6th 05 04:54 PM
Dangers of Pilling Chris Ciewelich via CatKB.com Cat health & behaviour 3 April 27th 05 03:37 PM
Dangers of pilling Chris via CatKB.com Cat health & behaviour 0 April 27th 05 11:51 AM
Pilling vs. Injection? Noreen Cooper Cat health & behaviour 4 August 5th 03 09:38 PM