MAGI TO THE VET

Old November 29th 04, 06:15 PM
Mary

Default MAGI TO THE VET

"Iain Halder" wrote in message
Hi,

Please wish my cat MAGI luck today in going to the vet!

Last night she started to leave little spots and trailing spots of
urine on the couch and on the bed.

It's the first time she has ever done this.

According to the information I quickly web-researched it's either
marking or a UTI or UT blockage. At 5 this morning I woke up to hear
her yelping in the living room but when I picked her up she was OK. I
think she wanted something to eat so I gave her an early breakfast and
she was fine.

Shortly afterwards she jumped onto bed and did a little spot of urine,
jumped off and went to her litter tray then came back and did it
again. My other half got up to go to work and said she was also
'spotting' on the couch in the living room.

Her behaviour also seems to have changed. Though this over the last
week or so. Previously she was a moderately active but quiet cat. Now
she is quite bouncy and more skitterish than usual - we were thinking
then that her has come on very well and she was becoming more of a
cat. MAGI is a portal-systemic shunt affected cat and is largely
treated with lactulose and anti-ammonia supplementation.

If it is marking then we figure that since she shares the house with
two other cats BISCUIT & JADE she is now 'coming out of herself' and
starting to be more assertive. As you can imagine though doing it in
this particular way could present problems.

However, if it is illness then it is something else. She is not in
pain but does look a little more pensive and staring into space than
usual. She had been slightly damaged by the early years of her illness
and treatment and is partially-sighted.

Actually when I ask you to wish her luck I should ask that you wish
the vet luck too!!! MAGI can be quite terrifying when starngers are
near her and especially so when the stranger is wearing a white
coat!!!

Healing wishes for everyone. I hope it is something very small that
can be rectified easily. She is lucky you love her so much and take good
care of her.

Old November 29th 04, 06:45 PM
KellyH

"Iain Halder" wrote in message
Hi,

Please wish my cat MAGI luck today in going to the vet!

Good luck! I hope it's nothing serious. Keep us posted!

--
-Kelly
kelly at farringtons dot net

Old November 29th 04, 06:51 PM
Karen Chuplis

Many purrs for an easily treatable problem. PLease keep us posted.

Old November 30th 04, 02:24 PM
Robi

Iain Halder wrote in message ...
OK! FIRST THING I NEED TO POINT OUT IS THAT ...

1. I AM NOT THE IAIN HALDER REFERRED TO HERE!
2. I DON'T SUBSCRIBE TO THE PHILOSPHY BEING EXPOUNDED BY THIS PERSON!
3. I AM NOT EVEN AN AMERICAN AND SO HAVE NO RIGHT TO COMMENT!
4. I OBJECT VERY STRONGLY TO MY NAME BEING APPROPRIATED IN THIS WAY!

THE GUY WHO POSTED THIS IS OBVIOUSLY DELUDED BUT I DON'T WANT YOU MEN
& WOMEN OF THIS AND ANY OTHER CATS NEWSGROUP TO THINK I AM THIS
PERSON!!!

Iain Halder (The REAL One)

[HipCrime's irrelevant garbage snipped]

This is a post from a spammer called "Hipcrime" aka "dip****" aka "dippy"
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...me&btnG=Search
but you may call it an idiot. She/he/it was trying to flood NANAE with
his spew. Since that didn't work, s/h/it (DipSlime) started crossposting
to random newsgroups.
This strategy works out better since NG readers complain answering to -for
some- canceled messages flooding with legit replies.

The best thing to do:
Complain to the originating ISP to secure their servers to stop this flood,
and ask the administrators of your news server to filter out the "HipCrime"
posts.
Just don't reply to those posts (keeps the noise down).

Please note that all knee-jerk replies to his crap don't actually stay in
the newsgroup they were posted in. They go to NANAE instead whe

a) they provide some amusement that people can be so stupid that
they don't even know where they're posting to, but mostly

b) they disrupt the nanae newsgroup - which was the original
poster's intention when it spammed thousands of newsgroups.

Please look up "hipcrime" in a search engine for more details and check who
you're replying to.

The following links provide more information about hipcrime:

http://www.ganesha.org/ptb/hipcrime.html
http://www.spamfaq.net/terminology.s...sgroup_attacks
http://groups.google.com/groups?th=bac2115b90e3b261
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...g .google.com

--
Robi
Old December 1st 04, 03:26 AM
KellyH

"Iain Halder" wrote in message
Has anybody experience of dealing with this kind of infection in a
female cat? I'd appreciate any advice. There was a suggestion I read
that cystitis was viral in nature so I'm not sure what effect and
antibiotic may actually have.

Iain Halder

I've never had this in female cat, but my Bartleby had become blocked
several times a few years ago. Does Magi get canned food? This will
increase her water intake and keep her from becoming blocked. Have you seen
any blood in her urine? I hope she's feeling better soon.

--
-Kelly
kelly at farringtons dot net
"Wake up, and smell the cat food" -TMBG

Old December 1st 04, 06:14 PM
KellyH

"Iain Halder" wrote in message
I looked up some alternate treatments and one of the options offered
was cranberry juice which is supposed to be top-notch for UTI's. Has
anyone any experience of 'cranberry'ing their cat?' It may not be
necessary if the problem does not re-occur but I'd imagine some
cranberry concentrate in a small syringe-feeding session would have
helped?

The canned food I use, Wellness, contains cranberries. I don't know if it's
available in the UK. I don't know what effect this has had on Bartleby, but
he hasn't had any urinary issues while on Wellness. If Wellness isn't
available, check out some other natural cat foods, they might have
cranberries.

Plain yogurt was also offered as an option in order to create friendly
bacteria to force the hostile cystitis bacteria out. I'd see no
problem there as MAGI gets excitable at the thought of double-cream
anyway, so it'd be a simple matter to mix some together.

I also mix in a few spoonfuls of plain, low-fat yogurt into the Wellness. I
started doing this when one of the cat's had diarrhea, and just kept it up
as a preventative measure.

I'm very glad to hear Magi is doing well!

Old December 3rd 04, 01:34 AM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2004-12-01, Iain Halder penned:

I looked up some alternate treatments and one of the options offered was
cranberry juice which is supposed to be top-notch for UTI's. Has anyone any
experience of 'cranberry'ing their cat?' It may not be necessary if the
problem does not re-occur but I'd imagine some cranberry concentrate in a
small syringe-feeding session would have helped?

No idea for cats, but I unfortunately had a history of UTIs when I was
younger. They suck. I drink cranberry juice as a preventative measure, and
it does seem to help. If I think I'm feeling one "coming on," I drink extra
amounts of cranberry juice *and* make sure to drink lots of water, as well.

Not sure how my experiences relate to cats, though.

--
monique, caretaker of Oscar