Apparently I Spoke too Soon (OT)

Old April 21st 10, 12:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Apparently I Spoke too Soon (OT)

Tomorrow is my last day at my job.

Initially I'd hired on to work during "tax season". But about two months
ago I asked the office manager if they would need a receptionist to work
after the 15th, when they go to 3 days a week. She said, "Yes, are you
interested?" Sure! So she said I'd be working after tax season.

There have always been issues about someone having to be there to unlock the
door for me so I could get the place ready to open. The other receptionist
(at first they thought there would need to be two of us for three months -
ha!) had a key because her husband is also a tax preparer there. So I asked
this morning about getting a key since I was going to be working M-T-W for
the off season.

The office manager said, "Oh! The general manager hired a former
receptionist of ours to work this summer. He did that two months ago." I
just stared at her. Because two months ago was when I asked if they'd need
someone and she'd said I could have the job. She looked uncomfortable and
stammered, "I didn't find out about it until 2 weeks ago." Again, I just
stared.

When was someone planning to tell me? I wouldn't have walked out, tempting
though it may have been. (I was tempted to walk out the minute I heard
today and leave them in the lurch tomorrow, but I didn't do that.) I could
have been using that two weeks (while still working for them) to look for
another job! Gee, thanks, guys. I appreciate the notice.

The office manager left around noon for a doctor's appointment. When she
came back in she had bags full of fried chicken for lunch. She acted like
everything was copacetic. Jill, have you eaten? I'd already eaten the
lunch I made and brought from home. Since I no longer give a crap I'd
heated up my lunch (salisbury steak with gravy, mashed potatoes and steamed
broccoli) and ate it at the front desk. I didn't care if a client walked in
and saw me eatng. A person has to eat, don't they?

On to new jobs. Here's where I got stupid. When I moved I got rid of a
bunch of extraneous paper from my file cabinet. Including copies of my
resume. They're stored on a 3.5" floppy. Guess what? My laptop doesn't
have a floppy drive. Whose does these days? LOL Now I'm going to have to
set up the old XP mini-tower in the kitchen just so I can access my resume
and update it. What a mess. I really don't want to set this damn thing up
in my kitchen. I'll have to set up the printer, too, so I can print
hardcopies and then work from the desk in my living room. Then I get to
disassemble the whole nine yards. Oh well, gotta do what you gotta do.

Jill

Old April 21st 10, 03:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
nik Simpson

On 4/20/2010 6:25 PM, jmcquown wrote:

On to new jobs. Here's where I got stupid. When I moved I got rid of a
bunch of extraneous paper from my file cabinet. Including copies of my
resume. They're stored on a 3.5" floppy. Guess what? My laptop doesn't
have a floppy drive. Whose does these days? LOL Now I'm going to have to
set up the old XP mini-tower in the kitchen just so I can access my
resume and update it. What a mess. I really don't want to set this damn
thing up in my kitchen. I'll have to set up the printer, too, so I can
print hardcopies and then work from the desk in my living room. Then I
get to disassemble the whole nine yards. Oh well, gotta do what you
gotta do.

Jill

If you can spare ~$20, you can get a USB floppy drive and plug it into
the laptop:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...isk%20Dr ives

--
Nik Simpson
Old April 21st 10, 06:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"nik Simpson" wrote in message
[...]

I already have USB drives. Unfortunately I still have to set up the other
computer to get to the data to store the info on.

Jill

Old April 21st 10, 03:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

jmcquown wrote:
[...]

Could you not borrow or buy a USB floppy drive?

--
Adrian (Owned by Bagheera & Shadow)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart
Old April 21st 10, 04:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Adrian" wrote in message
om...
jmcquown wrote:
[...]

Slow to the game, Adrian I have a couple of flash drives but I still had
to set up the other computer to get at the data. Just about broke my back
carrying the computer and monitor in from the garage, and I'm not that old!
It was a hassel to set it up for only this reason but worth it. I got the
info copied onto a flash drive and loaded it onto this computer. Now I have
to tear the other down and put it in boxes again. It was a chore and I
think I need a nap before boxing everything up again.

Jill

Old April 21st 10, 09:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell[_2_]

"jmcquown" wrote in message
"Adrian" wrote in message
om...
jmcquown wrote:
Tomorrow is my last day at my job.

{...]

Slow to the game, Adrian

Jill, please remember the time difference. Us Brits are off to bed before
you are eating your evening meal.

Tweed

Old April 22nd 10, 07:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
NettieCat

On 21 Apr, 00:25, "jmcquown" wrote:
[...]

Jill, it sounds like you've been treated horribly, she should have
told you a fortnight ago that you didn't have the receptionist job. I
hope you find something else soon.

Have you retrieved your CV yet? I'd have been tempted to just start
again from scratch, but as you say you need the printer too.

Jeanette
Old April 22nd 10, 08:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"jmcquown" wrote in message
"Adrian" wrote in message
om...
jmcquown wrote:
Tomorrow is my last day at my job.

{...]

Slow to the game, Adrian

Jill, please remember the time difference. Us Brits are off to bed before
you are eating your evening meal.

Tweed

True that! Sorry! But it was a back-breaking chore. I know how to set up
a computer quickly but I don't relish doing it. It's back in the garage now
and I retrieved the information I wanted.

Spoke with the vet today and I might be able to bring Persia home as soon as
the 23rd! They're going to call me tomorrow. That would be fantastic.
Save me the expense of boarding her for another week now that I no longer
have a job.

Jill

Old April 22nd 10, 03:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

If carrying that puter wore you out, don't apply for a job in vending.
Carrying cases of 20 oz soda is hard on someone my age but most of carrying
is balance and leverage.
Some things never change and I have to remember where the boxes are to put
things in.
"jmcquown" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"jmcquown" wrote in message
"Adrian" wrote in message
om...

Old April 22nd 10, 05:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

LOLOL I was the route accounting supervisor for a now defunct vending
machine company back in TN. No, I didn't haul boxes or load and empty
machines. Me and my "staff" (of English illiterate *legal* imingrants from
Europe and Asia the boss hired via a church organization. He got a tax
write-off and they were cheap labor) tallied up the week's inventory vs.
cash received on computers. It was our job to try to make it balance.
Never happened. I could barely have a conversation with any of my staff.
They were nice people but most had never seen a computer before much less
know anything about accounting. It was like working in a Three Stooges
film. Who's on first?

The boss was a petty tyrant who ran around yelling at people. (I am not
easily intimidated. You do NOT yell at me. I'm an employee, not a slave.)
I only worked there for a year and got out as soon as I could find another
job. At my new job I ran into some of the vending machine route supervisors
pulling their machines out of my new office. Yep, their contract had been
pulled. No surprise there! Trust me, I won't work for a vending company
again!

Jill

"jmcquown" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote in message