A terrible accident - Need opinions on what went wrong

Old February 19th 07, 06:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bookie

Default A terrible accident - Need opinions on what went wrong

On 19 Feb, 15:57, "cindys" wrote:
On Feb 19, 10:48 am, "Matthew" wrote:

No offense Mikey How about if that person would have been a child. take a
while to think on that possibility. Family or not Friend or not They
should definitely know better. Own a pet is a responsibility and not a
right.

"Mikey" wrote in message

roups.com...

Matthew wrote:
Pick up the phone this morning and call the animal shelter and report the
attack.. If the dog has attacked a person and now a cat plus possible
other
incident. The owner need to be held responsible and the dog at least can
be
labeled dangerous to help out the next person that it attacks.

The damage to the person sounds like an allergic reaction to either the
dog's saliva or the treatment the person received. The dull pain
indicated
possible nerve damage.

I probably shouldn't say this but... I know the dog owner very well
and if I reported him I'd be in big trouble. I'm in a terrible
position where reporting him would just be about the dumbest thing I
could ever possibly do. I wish I could explain further but I don't
think I should. If you knew what those reasons are, you'd understand
the horrible position I'm in. I'm thinking of anonymously reporting
him for not having a dog license which is a state law, and for not
having a rabies vaccination. The dog is usually tied up and this is
the first time it's been loose in over 6 months. I knew this would
happen if that dog got loose. The owner never thought that the dog
would kill a cat despite the fact that the dog has killed possums
before. I knew when he got that dog a year ago that it would kill one
of my cat's.- Hide quoted text -

----------
If you reported this individual and he were to find out, would you be
in physical danger? Would you be beaten? On the basis of what you have
written (that the dog is tied up outside all the time, no
vaccinations, no license, has bitten a person, kills possums, and
killed a cat), it is clear to me that the dog is abused. This says a
lot about the dog owner's personality overall. I wouldn't be surprised
to find out that the dog is beaten or sometimes without food, water,
or shelter. Not to mention the sheer cruelty of not permitting a cat
to stay at the vet who was paralyzed and clearly required medical
care. ALWAYS REMEMBER: The way people treat animals is always a good
indicator of how they treat people. I would say that your problem
extends far beyond the cat situation. Rather than thinking about
getting any more cats, you need to focus on what you need to do to
remove yourself from what sounds to be a suffocating, abusive and
potentially dangerous environment FOR YOU. You don't say how old you
are, but I suspect you are a teenager. Do you have a teacher or
guidance counselor who could help you? Please keep posting and let us
know you are okay.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.- Hide quoted text -

damn, I log off, go away, come back hours later and find peolpe have
posted just what i wanted to say, grrrr.

this father needs a damn good kicking and if I was onthe other side of
the pond I woudl be more than happy to dish it out. Years of dealign
with obnoxious parents has made me used to confrontation with vicious
obnoxious *******s like this one, and liek cindy i am no longer scared
of anyone but liek mikey i know whatit can be like to be petrified of
a parent and the control they have over you.
if you are scared or worried there are people who can help and if you
are in immediate danger you can call the police or anybody and they
will help you straightaway, nobody should have to live in fear.

but please promise that you WILL NOT GET ANY MORE ANIMALS, i know that
you probably want to because they give you comfort during bad times
etc but think of the position you are putting them in, it is not fair
on those animals.

and yes i think you should just getthe **** out of there and get this
man picked up, let someone else deal with him, there are people out
there whose job it is to deal with bullies like this so you are not
alone.

wish I could help in a more practical way but am on the wrong side of
the pond

bookie

Old February 19th 07, 07:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"cindys" wrote

Right now, I am literally crying for this poor cat who was
first terrorized/abused and then died such a horrible death.

yeah, I literally cannot bear this kind of post. My way of dealing
with the pain in the past has been to flame the poster, but that really
helps nobody. It leaves me feeling so helpless.

But we need to remember that this is just one event of thousands
that happen across the US every day to these animals. Support
our local shelters, trap neuter and spay organizations, etc.

Old February 19th 07, 07:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

On Feb 19, 6:38 pm, "bookie" wrote:
On 19 Feb, 15:27, Lynne wrote:

on Mon, 19 Feb 2007 13:39:20 GMT, "Mikey" wrote:

I probably shouldn't say this but... I know the dog owner very well
and if I reported him I'd be in big trouble. I'm in a terrible
position where reporting him would just be about the dumbest thing I
could ever possibly do. I wish I could explain further but I don't
think I should. If you knew what those reasons are, you'd understand
the horrible position I'm in. I'm thinking of anonymously reporting
him for not having a dog license which is a state law, and for not
having a rabies vaccination. The dog is usually tied up and this is
the first time it's been loose in over 6 months. I knew this would
happen if that dog got loose. The owner never thought that the dog
would kill a cat despite the fact that the dog has killed possums
before. I knew when he got that dog a year ago that it would kill one
of my cat's.

Yeah, reporting your own father would be awkward. Call Animal Control when
he's not home and have the dog picked up. Your father will have to pay a
hefty fine to get him back. Maybe he'll decide it's not worth it. He
sounds like a ****ty pet owner and the dog would be better off with someone
else, assuming he's even adoptable at this point.

--
Lynne

i agree, the father is a ****ty pet owner and shoudl not be allowed to
have animals at all, and i really hope that you mikey do not get
anymore animals of your own until you have moved out of there, for the
sake of the animals really.

Ithink you should report your father, sod him, he deserves it the
nasty git, he deserves everything he gets as a result.

bookie- Hide quoted text -

Don't feel awkward, just do it!!
No one seems to be thinking about your pain upon loosing your precious
feline friend or your cats pain either, so why the hell should you
feel any pity about doing the "right thing!?
Go for it Mikey!
S;o)

Old February 19th 07, 08:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

on Mon, 19 Feb 2007 19:56:11 GMT, "cybercat" wrote:

yeah, I literally cannot bear this kind of post. My way of dealing
with the pain in the past has been to flame the poster, but that really
helps nobody. It leaves me feeling so helpless.

I admit, I'm pretty ****ed off about this whole situation. The OP doesn't
have much if any control over things, but I'm still ****ed. I can't bear
to think of what that cat went through, and I'm sure that poor dog is
absolutely miserable living like that.

But we need to remember that this is just one event of thousands
that happen across the US every day to these animals. Support
our local shelters, trap neuter and spay organizations, etc.

I couldn't agree more.

--
Lynne
Old February 19th 07, 08:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Lynne" wrote in message
on Mon, 19 Feb 2007 19:56:11 GMT, "cybercat" wrote:

yeah, I literally cannot bear this kind of post. My way of dealing
with the pain in the past has been to flame the poster, but that really
helps nobody. It leaves me feeling so helpless.

I admit, I'm pretty ****ed off about this whole situation. The OP doesn't
have much if any control over things, but I'm still ****ed. I can't bear
to think of what that cat went through, and I'm sure that poor dog is
absolutely miserable living like that.

But we need to remember that this is just one event of thousands
that happen across the US every day to these animals. Support
our local shelters, trap neuter and spay organizations, etc.

I couldn't agree more.

Feeling helpless in the face of this type of cruelty is the only thing that
could make me want to kill myself, if anything could. Literally. (And I
don't think anything really could ... much to the dismay of my err,
detractors ...)

Old February 19th 07, 08:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cindys

On Feb 19, 2:56 pm, "cybercat" wrote:
"cindys" wrote

Right now, I am literally crying for this poor cat who was
first terrorized/abused and then died such a horrible death.

yeah, I literally cannot bear this kind of post. My way of dealing
with the pain in the past has been to flame the poster, but that really
helps nobody. It leaves me feeling so helpless.

In this situation, I think the OP may be as much a victim as the cat.
The main thing is that he has to make sure he doesn't acquire any new
pets until he is on his own, away from this situation. And like
Bookie, I understand that may be difficult as these poor creatures may
be his only source of comfort since it sounds like he may be living in
a barely tolerable situation. But he does need to consider that it
would be extremely cruel to get another cat under the circumstances.

But we need to remember that this is just one event of thousands
that happen across the US every day to these animals. Support
our local shelters, trap neuter and spay organizations, etc.

Absolutely.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Old February 19th 07, 08:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cindys

On Feb 19, 2:56 pm, "sheelagh" wrote:
On Feb 19, 6:38 pm, "bookie" wrote:

On 19 Feb, 15:27, Lynne wrote:

[...]

S;o)- Hide quoted text -

----------
He may be afraid of the repercussions. If the father has no sympathy
for his animals, I can guarantee he has no sympathy for his son. I
suspect Mikey is scared to death of his father. That's why I offered
to make the phone call.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Old February 19th 07, 08:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cindys

On Feb 19, 11:20 am, "Matthew" wrote:
Cindy before you get involved you may want to Google that email account
and look at all the problems this person has described in their life over
that last couple years. If it is true which I am not saying it is not.
You are going to be opening up one big can of worms and trouble in my book.

----------
Okay, thank you. I wasn't really intending to get involved in any big
way. I was just offering to make a phone call. But thank you. I
sometimes have a tendency to forget that on the internet, nobody knows
you're a dog (or however that line goes).
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Old February 19th 07, 08:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
silvercelt

You could possible request a p.m on him and see if there are any
underlining courses. The changes are though he was very shocked and
there was nothing you could do. It happened to a cat that came into
my work a few weeks ago. We tried our best but..sadly he died.

Old February 20th 07, 04:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mikey

cybercat wrote:
"Matthew" wrote in message
No offense Mikey How about if that person would have been a child. take
a while to think on that possibility. Family or not Friend or not They
should definitely know better. Own a pet is a responsibility and not a
right.

This is the same guy who posted saying that the cat was peeing in its own
bed. It was probably an intruder animal that was doing that. He knew the cat
was in danger.

I saw this coming. It just makes me shudder, thinking about what happens to
these poor animals.

That cat is safe and in my house now and has been for several weeks.