"Cat Fiesta"

Old November 8th 03, 02:41 AM

So if I get a fancy "cat condo" so she can scratch as well as perch,
how many other small scratching posts should I have throughout the
house?

I'd plan to put her litter box on the upper floor, condo and food on
the main floor, and we also spend time in the basement, which is
finished.

Another claw question (remember, I'm new to cat behavior), when she's
content, she "kneads" her paws/claws. I know she's just being happy,
but it hurts the legs when she's in your lap. Can a cat be made to
understand that her claws cause pain, or do you just get used to it?

My son got an awakening today. He was trying to get her to play with
a little stuffed animal. When she finally did make a grab for it, he
wasn't ready, and ended up with a Band-Aid. I think he respects the
claws now. :-)

Old November 8th 03, 03:04 AM
Cheryl

In ,
composed with style:
So if I get a fancy "cat condo" so she can scratch as well as perch,
how many other small scratching posts should I have throughout the
house?

Here is what I have for three cats:
*Cat tree (the big investment but IMO the best. Seeing how they tear
it up shows me what they *could have* torn up) They not only scratch,
climb and play on it, they lounge and sleep on it. 4 curved perches.
Placed in the main living area. I've recently furnished my lower
level of my house (leather sectional) and need to get a new cat tree
for down here. They don't scratch the leather sectional at all.
Don't even sleep on it.
*One 3' scratching post (home made, portable so it moves to any corner
of the couch that suddenly seems attractive to my oldest, Shadow. He
quickly *remembers*)
*Two 2' sisal posts with very heavy base. (again, portable to move to
couch corners if necessary). One upstairs, one downstairs. The one
downstairs has a boingy springy toy attached to the top.
*Two "turbo scratchers" (do a google), one upstairs, one downstairs.
*One "alpine scratcher" hot glued to a piece of wood for stability.
(google it)
*One cheapie cat condo at the foot of my bed to prevent scratching on
the mattress (works like a charm)

I spent less than $500, and the turbo scratchers and alpine scratcher
have refills for when they are deemed useless. My furniture, $3000 at
least not counting the bed (which used to get scratched before
accomidating that *need*. No comparison.

I'd plan to put her litter box on the upper floor, condo and food on
the main floor, and we also spend time in the basement, which is
finished.

Make sure you place a very attractive perch or cat tree in the area of
the house where you spend the most time. It's like *their chair*.
Something they know is theirs.

Another claw question (remember, I'm new to cat behavior), when
she's content, she "kneads" her paws/claws. I know she's just
being happy, but it hurts the legs when she's in your lap. Can a
cat be made to understand that her claws cause pain, or do you just
get used to it?

This is a tough one. I can't say you get used to it but I think if
you clip the claws on a regular basis it doesn't hurt as much. If it
hurts, say OWW loudly. They really do learn.

My son got an awakening today. He was trying to get her to play
with a little stuffed animal. When she finally did make a grab for
it, he wasn't ready, and ended up with a Band-Aid. I think he
respects the claws now. :-)

Respect is a good thing! Kids and cats can get along, just like kids
and dogs. How old is your son? I think kids need supervision around
animals for both creatures sakes. Of course things can happen very
quickly but I think most cats in general try to avoid something if
they know they can't anticipate what is going to happen. So if your
cat got spooked, also, he may be hesitant to approach your son until
he gets some trust back again. Keeping the claws clipped to a blunt
end is the key until everyone understands everyone.

Old November 8th 03, 03:04 AM
Cheryl

In ,
composed with style:

Old November 8th 03, 03:20 AM
MaryL

wrote in message

Another claw question (remember, I'm new to cat behavior), when she's
content, she "kneads" her paws/claws. I know she's just being happy,
but it hurts the legs when she's in your lap. Can a cat be made to
understand that her claws cause pain, or do you just get used to it?

Trim her claws every few weeks. Also, you may want to keep a towel or small
blanket beside your chair. You can gently pull that under he claws to give
you some extra padding.

MaryL

Old November 8th 03, 04:42 AM
Sherry

(Does anyone but me collect the claw sheaths off the cat tree? LOL.
Thought
not.)

Sherry

LOL I always pick them up or off and have a look :-)
what do you do with them Sherry? :-))

LOL here too. I do the same thing. :-)
I have a friend who collects whiskers in a little jar though :-)

Sherry