And...

Old April 21st 10, 10:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

Default Apple Crisp

"Matthew" wrote in message
g.com
"Yowie" wrote in message
In g.com,
Matthew typed:
"Yowie" wrote in message
In g.com,
Matthew typed:
INGREDIENTS FOR ONE BATCH OF APPLE CRISP:

1 cup (125 g / 4 oz) all purpose flour
1-1/2 tsp (7 ml) ground cinnamon
1-1/2 cup (330 g / 12 oz) lightly packed brown sugar
1 cup (90 g / 3 oz) oatmeal
1 to 2 tsp (5 to 10 ml) apple pie spice (or substitute your
favourite) 2/3 cup (150 g / 5 oz) softened butter or margarine

6-8 medium apples
lemon juice (optional)

METHOD:

Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C.) Grease a 9" x 13" (20 x 30 cm)
baking dish.
Mix dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Cut in the butter. I
just do this with a dinner fork. You don't need a fancy pastry
blender or anything. It doesn't have to be perfect, but try not to
have any really large lumps in it. Set aside this crumb mixture
while you prepare the apples.
Pare, core and slice apples. I make them a little on the thick
side because I like to take a bite of a good chunk of apple when
I'm eating, but if you have the patience to slice them thinly and
you like your apple crisp that way, you should go ahead and
prepare them that way. Feel free to use your food processor to
cut down on slicing time!
At this point you can squirt a little fresh squeezed or bottled
lemon juice on the apple slices if you like to prevent oxidation,
but this is a matter of personal taste. The apples will change
colour from the spices and the baking anyway. Arrange your sliced
apples in the bottom of your baking dish. Again you can get really
pretty with this and arrange all your uniformly cut slices so they
overlap in the pan, but you don't have to. Unless you're shooting
a cooking video nobody will ever see your artwork but you.

Drool factor 6

isnt' that just Apple Crumble?

Yowie
close to it

Wassa difference then?

Yowie

Apple Crisp - Same as Apple Crumble, except with a chunkier and more
coarse topping

Apple Crumble- Same as Apple Crisp, except with a smoother, more
breadcrumb-like topping

Apple Cobbler - Similar to an Apple pie, but without a bottom crust.
Has a biscuit-like topping. Biscuit dough looks like cobblestones

Is that biscuit in the American sense or the Buropean sense?

Could you post a recipe for American 'biscuit' please?

Yowie
--
If you're paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many
pancakes can you fit in a doghouse? None, icecream doesn't have bones.

Old April 21st 10, 10:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

wrote in message

Yowie wrote:

wrote in message

Yowie wrote:

Matthew typed:

"Yowie" wrote in message

Matthew typed:

INGREDIENTS FOR ONE BATCH OF APPLE CRISP:
[snip]

isnt' that just Apple Crumble?

close to it

Wassa difference then?

Matthew's in the US and you're in Australia?

pthpthpthpthpthpth

(thats the sound of me sticking out my toungue and blowing a
raspberry at you)

Oh, I wasn't teasing you!

You should have been - I thought it was funny :-)

I was just suggesting that this is one of
those "separated by a common language" things - we call it a crisp,
you call it a crumble. It's the same dish, the only difference is
where we live.

Yup, knew what you meant, but liked the 'cheeky' way you said it, hence the
raspberry.

Yowie

Old April 21st 10, 10:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

Default Letting the mystery be (was: And...)

"Will in New Haven" wrote in message

On Apr 20, 8:01 pm, wrote:
Will in New Haven wrote:

Ok, you are right about evolutionary biology and may be right about
the metaphysical.

About the latter, I'm in the "let the mystery BE" camp.

Me, too! I love that song.

I understand why people are angry at organized religions, considering
all the crap they do. But making fun of people because you think
their beliefs are stupid? Give me a break. What a lame reason to get
on someone's case. I don't believe what everyone else believes,
either - so what? It doesn't matter whether someone believes in God,
the spirits of trees, or the Great Pumpkin - if they derive strength
from that belief, that's what matters, unless they try to control
people's lives or harm them with those beliefs.

Besides, it always makes me laugh when someone states in no uncertain
terms that There Is No God. Oh really? Where'd you get that
information? Show me the evidence! (I laugh just as much at people
who state in the same terms that There Is A God - same reason.)

Not just "There is a god" but the god's name, gender and who he wants
us to persecute. Sorry, all-powerful being dude, you can do your OWN
persecuting. There are many wonderful people who believe in a deity
and many wonderful people who don't.

Sometimes I'm a Wiccan and sometimes I'm a Buddist and if someone
wants to make trouble for the Jews, I remember I'm a Jew. Or if I want
some good creplach or stuffed cabbage (although my ancestors learned
the latter from their Roman Catholic neighbors in Poland)

The Mother is Mary, the Virgin is the Goddess and they may only be in
our hearts. But if they make our hears kinder, let them be there.

May the Porcelain Three-Three bless you.

Yowie

Old April 21st 10, 10:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

wrote in message

Will in New Haven wrote:

Not just "There is a god" but the god's name, gender and who he wants
us to persecute. Sorry, all-powerful being dude, you can do your OWN
persecuting. There are many wonderful people who believe in a deity
and many wonderful people who don't.

Exactly. I'm not a very spiritual person myself, but I have a lot of
respect for people who are, and who use their spirituality well.

Sometimes I'm a Wiccan and sometimes I'm a Buddist and if someone
wants to make trouble for the Jews, I remember I'm a Jew. Or if I
want some good creplach or stuffed cabbage (although my ancestors
learned the latter from their Roman Catholic neighbors in Poland)

Ah, a JuBu and a Jewitch.

The Mother is Mary, the Virgin is the Goddess and they may only be in
our hearts. But if they make our hears kinder, let them be there.

Well said.

And may the Porcelain Three-Three bless you as well.

Yowie

Old April 21st 10, 10:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew[_3_]

Default Changed to American Buttermilk Biscuits and Vegan corn bread

"Yowie" wrote in message
"Matthew" wrote in message
g.com
"Yowie" wrote in message
In g.com,
Matthew typed:
"Yowie" wrote in message
[...]

In American English it relates to a small soft leavened bread, somewhat
similar to a scone
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biscuit_(bread)

In British English it relates to a small and hard, often sweetened, flour
based product, most akin in American English to a cookie

Yowie there is a major problem with posting a biscuit recipe.
There are so many varieties of them there are baking powder biscuits
baking soda biscuits quick bread biscuits short bread biscuits there are
so many types.

I will put one of my favorites up by Alton Brown and I will put up something
for you Vegans and health nutters out there also

Biscuit Recipe - Alton Brown's Southern Biscuit

2 cups flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons shortening
1 cup buttermilk, chilled

This is one of my favorite biscuit recipes. Be sure not to knead the dough
too much - less is better in this case. It may be a little lumpy, but that
is all to the good. Hmm hmm - serve this with sausage gravy and fried eggs
for an early but happy heart attack.

How to make American Buttermilk Biscuits:

Preheat oven to 450F, 230C.
Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a big mixing bowl.
Using your fingertips, rub butter and shortening into dry ingredients until
mixture looks like crumbs, mixing as fast as possible, before the fats melt.
Make a well in the center and pour in the chilled buttermilk. Stir just
until the dough comes together. The dough will be very sticky. Turn dough
onto floured surface, dust top with flour and gently fold dough over on
itself 5 or 6 times. Press into a 1-inch thick round. Cut out biscuits with
a 2-inch cutter, being sure to push straight down through the dough. Place
biscuits on baking sheet so that they just touch. Reform scrap dough,
working it as little as possible and continue cutting. Bake for 15-20
minutes until golden brown.

Vegan Corn Bread

Things You'll Need:
1 Cup Cornmeal
1 Cup Flour
1 Cup Soy or Nut Milk
1/3 Cup Vegetable oil
1 Tbs Baking powder
1/4 Cup sugar
1 tsp Salt
8 Inch cooking pan

Step 1
In mixing bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients and mix well.
Step 2
Lightly oil the cooking pan and set aside. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
Step 3
Stir well until all large lumps are gone. Don't worry about any small lumps.
Make a well in the center of the bowl and pour in the soy milk and oil.
Step 4
Cool on a baking rack until ready to serve.Pour the corn bread batter into
the baking pan and bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes. Check for doneness by
inserting a toothpick or knife in- if it comes out clean, the corn bread is
done

Old April 21st 10, 10:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormmee

both nice, and i just happen to have almond dream and rice dream DH got on
offer for very cheap a little while ago, shelf stable and i made banana
bread with the almond, i bet the cornbread would be good with the rice dream
and rice flour instead of wheat flour, Lee
"Matthew" wrote in message
g.com...

"Yowie" wrote in message
"Matthew" wrote in message
g.com
"Yowie" wrote in message
In g.com,
Matthew typed:

Old April 21st 10, 11:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Yowie wrote:

wrote in message

Yowie wrote:

wrote in message

Yowie wrote:

Matthew typed:

"Yowie" wrote in message

Matthew typed:

INGREDIENTS FOR ONE BATCH OF APPLE CRISP:
[snip]

isnt' that just Apple Crumble?

close to it

Wassa difference then?

Matthew's in the US and you're in Australia?

pthpthpthpthpthpth

(thats the sound of me sticking out my toungue and blowing a
raspberry at you)

Oh, I wasn't teasing you!

You should have been - I thought it was funny :-)

I was just suggesting that this is one of
those "separated by a common language" things - we call it a crisp,
you call it a crumble. It's the same dish, the only difference is
where we live.

Yup, knew what you meant, but liked the 'cheeky' way you said it, hence the
raspberry.

I see. Yes, a well-placed question mark goes a long way.

Joyce

--
I care not for a man's religion whose dog and cat are not the better
for it. -- Abraham Lincoln
Old April 21st 10, 11:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Yowie wrote:

wrote in message

Exactly. I'm not a very spiritual person myself, but I have a lot of
respect for people who are, and who use their spirituality well.

And may the Porcelain Three-Three bless you as well.

Why, thank you. Of course, this makes me miss TJ and the Dust!

Joyce

Old April 22nd 10, 02:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

Default And...

"Stormmee" wrote in message
it seems to me that since he couldn't get us fighting among
ourselves he resorted to cruelty as a method to upset us, but, i
have been tortured by worse, once i went to court because when i
could see some, i had a dog guide, and i could see well enough to
play pac man if i smooshed my face onto the screen, the resturant
owner didn't think i was "blind enough" to need the dog in his
eatery, i tried to explain the difference between smooching my
face onto a game console and finding the table if i left to go the
bathroom and return on my own, it took a couple of court dates but
i made my point, no words alone can upset me, Lee

There is a special place in heaven (and should be one on earth as
well) for those who will go the extra mile to teach those who refuse
to learn on their own.

As I understand the law right now, if I take my dog somewhere and
say that she is a service animal, no one can even ask me what
disability she assists me with.

That may be a tad extreme, but sure beats the old "prove it"
mentality.

Jo