What Do you do? A Poll

Old January 15th 05, 03:36 PM
Marina

Karen Chuplis wrote:

in article , Debbie Wilson at
wrote on 1/15/05 5:26AM:

www.scientific-art.com

WOW! Mega impressive! You are extremely talented. What a fun profession!

It does sound fun. One of my father's colleagues tried to talk me into
becoming a scientific illustrator way back when I was twenty-something
and didn't know what to become when I grew up (still don't know, but
that's another story).

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki
Old January 15th 05, 03:55 PM
Katrina

On 2005-01-14 13:15:32 -0800, Tanada said:

Ok, I'm curious. What does everyone in here do for tuna money?

I'm a "freeway flyer" (a part-time college professor at several
different colleges who cobbles together a full time load by driving all
over the region). I usually end up teaching 6 classes per semester on
3-4 different campuses. I teach Anthropology- my normal course load is
heavy on Physical anthro, the anthro lab that goes with it, and
Cultural anthro. I also teach Indians of California and Archaeology as
well as Magic, Witchcraft & Religion. My husband is a flight nurse
with an air ambulance company.

Katrina

two kitties (Ming the Merciless and Princess Buttercup), a dog (Boris)
and a horse (Jake)

Old January 15th 05, 04:13 PM
Howard Berkowitz

In article , Helen Wheels
wrote:

Tanada wrote:

Ok, I'm curious. What does everyone in here do for tuna money?

Well my job title is still "programmer", but I'm really more of a
database person, working in public health/epidemiology research at a
university. I work on several projects, but the one that takes up most
of my time is maintaining followup data on people who've taken part in a
rather long-running series of community health studies which started
back in 1966.
In a ghoulish mood I've been known to describe chronic disease research
as "well we get all these people to fill in questionnaires and have
their height, weight and blood pressure measured... then we wait
patiently for them to die of something interesting."

Is your project similar to the US Framingham or Nurses' studies, or does
it have interesting differences?
Old January 15th 05, 04:30 PM
Sherry

Ok, I'm curious. What does everyone in here do for tuna money? I know
we have some, ok a lot, of computer geeks, educators (or what passes for
one) and so forth.

Before desktop publishing was ever heard of, I was a "typesetter." There's a
word you don't hear anymore.
More recently I managed the art department at a metro newspaper and did ad
design / layout, page layout, etc. Then my health just didn't allow me to work
anymore.
Now I think I'm what you call a recluse.

Sherry
Old January 15th 05, 05:03 PM
O J

Lorraine wrote:

Howard Berkowitz wrote:

Thank you, I have had sufficient bites from DC repeater power on T1
spans.

We just had a tech retire who tested T1 span voltage with his fingers
because he didn't want to bother getting out his meter. I'm like you--I
have had more than enough. It doesn't stop me from getting more though.
They're irritating, and they make me say bad words.

L.

Then I take it he probably, as I still do, tested 9-volt transistor
batteries with his tongue. It's a simple test really -- just take the
battery and touch the terminals with the tip of your tongue. If it
feels like you wouldn't mind doing it again, toss the battery.

Regards and Purrs,
O J
Old January 15th 05, 05:04 PM
Mishi

I work for a small furniture store chain, and do various things. My main
duty is database manager, but I also answer phones, run errands, fix the
office equipment, and maintain the computer systems in all 4 stores. My
hubby, Dave, is a machinist for a small company that makes small parts for
various companies. (www.manth-brownell.com)

Old January 15th 05, 05:08 PM
O J

Lorraine wrote:

I've been lurking here for a couple of weeks and this looks like a good
place to jump in.

---------------------snip----------------------

It's always nice to have someone new to share stories with. Here,
they're mostly about kitties, but, as you can tell by this thread,
most anything goes.

Welcome!!!

Regards and Purrs,
O J
Old January 15th 05, 05:10 PM
CK

Sherry wrote:

Before desktop publishing was ever heard of, I was a "typesetter." There's a
word you don't hear anymore.

snip

My mom was a typesetter when she was young too, building up the text
from the individual characters made out of metal. Then she went on to
doing it on computer-like machines, not so computer-like in the
beginning tho, they were loud machines as they operated on pressurized
air, punching holes into a ribbon of paper - that was the text. In her
later years and up until she retired, she worked in sales - selling
printed products such as business cards, forms, letterhead papers,
whatever anyone would want to have printed.

You two might have a thing or two to talk about if you ever met...

--
Christine in Vantaa, Finland
christal63 (at) yahoo (dot) com
Old January 15th 05, 05:24 PM
Melissa Houle

Karen Chuplis wrote in message
in article ,

Helen
Miles at
wrote on 1/14/05 5:12 PM:

Part time TV Producer for ice-hockey programmes & wildlife programmes.

Now THERE's an unusual combination.

Can Wildlife Hockey be far behind? =o)

Melissa

Old January 15th 05, 05:39 PM
Helen Miles

"Melissa Houle" wrote in message

Can Wildlife Hockey be far behind? =o)

Melissa

Have a look at
http://ajhs.schools.sd76.ab.ca/GRAPH...s%20Hockey.jpg

LMAO! ;o)

Helen M (who has an answer for everything ;o) )